Must to have movies on BluRay

Lot of my favorites already mentioned here
The one missed out is Rush

Amazing sounds of engines revving, sharp high speed races and the beautiful Hans Zimmer soundtrack

Few I can remember for their visual spectacle and amazing soundtrack.

Watchmen
Guardians of the galaxy
Hellboy 2
BigFish
Rise of the planet of the apes

Interstellar steelbook Bluray available for 50% at Amazon.
It is a "app only" deal, just for today I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone knows US based online site for good priced blurays, got one friend coming after 2 weeks so can order together...

Hi,
I have bought these blurays from Amazon.in thinking the audio would be DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

1)Dark Knight
2)Black Hawk Down.

I think these are from SonyDAC, India

But the audio decoding displayed in my AVR shows "Dolby Digital" only for both the movies.
Is it due to the disk problem?

Does the Disk cover mention audio track for DTS or TrueHD?

Most blurays have more than one audio track.

Hi,
I have bought these blurays from Amazon.in thinking the audio would be DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

1)Dark Knight
2)Black Hawk Down.

I think these are from SonyDAC, India

But the audio decoding displayed in my AVR shows "Dolby Digital" only for both the movies.
Is it due to the disk problem?

Its there on the disc but for Dark Knight the default audio is not True HD. U have to manually change audio track everytime by remote. No idea about the other title.

Most of my favorites are already mentioned. Still few more

Saving private ryan - amazing surround sound effects, especially the opening war scene
Life series - its a visual treat, all 6 of them
Being john malkovich - For the sound track
House of flying daggers - For the surround sound, especially the dance scene
Sivaji (Tamil) - Colorful visuals + Rahman's music
Outbreak - surround sound effect + helicopters. The movie starts with a missile getting fired from your rear
Star wars series - scifi sound effects
U571 - heavy exercise for your subs, especially the underwater sonar explosions
Toy story 1,2,3 - Visual clarity + sound effects
Terminator salvation - great sound
Jurassic park series - sound + effects, all those roars
Master and commander - workout for subs + surrounds. The first attack scene will throw sound from all possible dimensions
Wall E - another animation with awesome sound effects, creepy sounds from all corners at times
Hurt locker - sound effects, separate weapon fires
Deceptible me - details + sound
Chicken run - surrounds, especially the scene inside the burner

Does the Disk cover mention audio track for DTS or TrueHD?

Most blurays have more than one audio track.

Dark knight audio is mentioned as Dolby TrueHD and Dolby digital.
Black hawk down the audiobis marked as English PCM5.1.. Nothing else

What according to you are the best movies with near reference quality audio and video that is also entertaining? Looking forward for suggestions top 5/ 10 from movie maniacs. :)

*TAKEN Series
*XXX (vin Diesel)
*Titanic
*Italian Job
*Gone in Sixty Sec
*Final Destination 2

Had Pre-ordered Mad Max: Fury Road on Amazon. Got and watched it yesterday.

First Dolby Atmos disk that I have come across and one that is worth every little rupee.

The visuals, the sound effects are too good and the movie has everything: engine roars of vehicles, explosions, weapon fire. Good exercise for the Sub no doubt.

And the encoding is just too good.. Dialogues are at +4Db level , I switched off Dialogue Level in my Yamaha 1030 and the volume was at a -17.5Level .

Too much !!!

Add "John Wick" to this collection. Great disc to own on blu ray. The sound is to die for.

Totally agree with you. It can be considered as a reference audio material. I have watched it twice and still think its enjoyable in a repeat mode.

Had Pre-ordered Mad Max: Fury Road on Amazon. Got and watched it yesterday.

First Dolby Atmos disk that I have come across and one that is worth every little rupee.

The visuals, the sound effects are too good and the movie has everything: engine roars of vehicles, explosions, weapon fire. Good exercise for the Sub no doubt.

And the encoding is just too good.. Dialogues are at +4Db level , I switched off Dialogue Level in my Yamaha 1030 and the volume was at a -17.5Level .

Too much !!!

oh.. nice! i too was planning on ordering mad max fury road. thanks for the review.. i will order the blu ray that comes with atmos sound track!

Guys,

If im not watching movies in blueray, what am i missing ??

(In what way blueray is better than hd tv channels)
Thanks
Naveen

Guys,

If im not watching movies in blueray, what am i missing ??

(In what way blueray is better than hd tv channels)
Thanks
Naveen

Depends on your system I.e speakers and tv
Let us know about this so that we can comment.
Example for my system the difference in sound quality is night and day. And day off course being blurays ;)

Depends on your system I.e speakers and tv
Let us know about this so that we can comment.
Example for my system the difference in sound quality is night and day. And day off course being blurays ;)
My query is exactly as Naveen. What we are missing in Audio, while watching movies through streaming services and ripped copies.

My set up is Denon X1400H - 5.1.2, Pioneer 5.1 - S-RS3TB, Focal Dome Atmos speaker pair.
Streaming via Fire Tv stick - Netflix and Prime Videos. Samsung 43H4900 Plasma TV.

Thanks.
Mathan

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back