My 3886 Gainclone comes to life.

Will answer to some queries one by one:

f12d6eba_2.jpeg

1. These are two amps the one with the red backlit volume knob is the LM3886 gainclone which houses the miracle transformer, the power supply board, the two gainclone monoboards on the heatsink and the speaker protection circuit (Rs 500) behind the heatsink which provides DC protection and soft start. Power is immense, enough to exercise my Wharf 10.1s.

5c220148_1.jpeg

2. The second amplifier is the Embedded hybrid headphone amplifier from Alex cavalli which uses the 6gm8's NOS tubes with a AMB labs sigma 22 regulated power supply. The blue colored board over the toroid transformer is a tube on delay circuit which turns the ac to sigma 22 after a minute thereby giving time for the tube heaters to warm up. The small while board is a smps 12v regulated supply which warms the tube filaments as well as gives the supply to the tube on delay circuit.

The tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-ECC86-6GM8-PHILCO-Tube-Lampe-TSF-Rohre-Valvola-NOS-/260851542943
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Regarding how they sound.

I am not into the adjectives of describing the sound of an audio player in a subjective manner. You can never do justice to it rather confuse the reader further. I rather look for a few basic things.

1. Is there any audible hum or hiss at any volume level and the answer is no in both the cases (Gainclone & EHHA). I have not even used a star ground for the gainclone though the EHHA has one. The only thing that I have done with the gainclone (can be seen in the pic) is that I have connected the grounds of both monoblocks and tapped the grond wire from the exact center of this wire (before using heatshrink tubes to prevent any short circuits) and connected this to the supply board ground. This prevents any hum, hiss, oscillation or ground loops. This was suggested by a member on diyaudio and it definitely helps when you are using a single power board with a single ground.

2. When I compare the sound to the other amplifiers that I have Norge 1000, denon 1507 AVR. I find that this is better towards the lower end providing tighter bass. This is likely due to a good toroidal supply and nice filtering capacitors. Am planning to replace the filtering capacitors of my Norge 1000 to 20000 MFD nichicons will tell you if the hypothesis was true.

The diaphragm excursions on my Wharfies 10.1 are a treat to watch on tracks like Billie Jean. The treble is not overemphasized and I love that.

Midrange is clear however I like the midrange on my Norge slightly better.
And yes it dosen't sound like the old chip amp's of yesteryears which I was expecting it would.

I have been a DIYer since 1997 but left during the later years of medical school till gurubhai reignited this passion.

3. Am planning two preamplifiers to try with my amps soon: A tube based and an OPA627 based. Will update my review later.

Last edited:
Just purchased the linuxguru version of the Rev C will update you about the built as soon as I get the kits.

Anyone here planning for a more advanced amplifier comparable to 40K-50K commercial amps?

I have about 10 different projects to complete and a lot of components that I wanna to use. most of the boards are ready. I am only searching for good enclosures which are difficult to find in India and costly to import. I am enumerating the projects that are ready to be boxed.

1. DIY Etched Power supply board having 40000 MFD 100VA ALCON capacitors 30-0-30 with dual regulated 0-12 volt supplies.

2. Elektor Parametric equalizer.

3. Elektor Linkwitz correction network for subwoofer.

4. Elector Electornado mono 100W RMS subwoofer amp.

5. STK 4141 Populated Amp Board from 1997.

7. Dolby Surround Sound Processor Kit

8. Tube Preamplifier

9. OPA627 based preamplifier

10. Elektor Discrete preamplifier

11. 3 Way active crossover network.

Most of these were made 10 years back. Want to convert these into some meaningful things that I can use. Will post the pics If you are interested.

At the same time I am planning for some advanced builds that's why need advanced designs preferably kits as sourcing components is a spoiler. No problem with soldering. Started soldering from class 10th (15 years back).

Last edited:
I have about 10 different projects to complete and a lot of components that I wanna to use. most of the boards are ready. I am only searching for good enclosures which are difficult to find in India and costly to import. I am enumerating the projects that are ready to be boxed.

1. DIY Etched Power supply board having 40000 MFD 100VA ALCON capacitors 30-0-30 with dual regulated 0-12 volt supplies.

8. Tube Preamplifier

Most of these were made 10 years back. Want to convert these into some meaningful things that I can use. Will post the pics If you are interested.

At the same time I am planning for some advanced builds that's why need advanced designs preferably kits as sourcing components is a spoiler. No problem with soldering. Started soldering from class 10th (15 years back).

You can find good enclosures here:
Enclosures | element14 India

Regards,
Sachin

8. Tube Preamplifier

Audiodoc,

Looks like you have been a avid DIYer 10 years back. Some of the projects like the elektor active crossover is something I have pursued those many years back, but could not get some of the MKP and MKT caps and hence could never finish. I think I have those pcbs somewhere. I remember they used NE 5532 low noise op amps.

Gainclone is a good project for an amp.

Cheers.

Yes used to build a large number of projects back then before medical school and early years of med school before the med books caught onto my spare time The best ones I remember were the surround sound processor, 10+10 band opamp based graphic equalizer and active loudspeaker system here is a pic

http://www.hifivision.com/members/a...ies-picture230-my-home-diy-floorstanders.html

And the dozens of amps for my friends based on STK, LA4440, LA4445 and 1230.

Now that all studies are over have started to finish the long due homework and move forward.

BTW want new 8 inch drivers for my DIY floorstanders that you see in the pick. Now that I can afford good ones!

Please give us more details of the floor standers, to be able to give any meaningful advice. Size, type of enclosure, what are the other drivers in the system etc. I see an automobile driver being used a midrange and a HF driver.

Cheers.

Please give us more details of the floor standers, to be able to give any meaningful advice. Size, type of enclosure, what are the other drivers in the system etc. I see an automobile driver being used a midrange and a HF driver.

Cheers.

Answered at 5 am in the morning wow

I made these 10 years back. The MDF enclosure measures 90 cm (H) x 24 cm (W) x 30 cm (D) with two cross struts, The car speaker is a full range driver with coaxially mounted Woofer & tweeter from JVC for car audio though it sounds good it is not audiophile stuff. That was the best I could procure back then in my limited budget. The midrange is separated from the lower too woofers on the inside to make the midrange section a closed system. the innards are lined by cabinet wadding throughout and the enclosure are steady. The twin woofers 8 inch just ordinary stuff, 300 bucks each, toytone or something. The lower enclosure is a bass reflex type 70 x 24 x 30 cm.

Want to replace the drivers to something better before driving each driver actively using crossover networks.

Nice build. You have to tell us some of your secrets. I've built some GC's - 3875, 3886 & parallel 4780. Great sound within their limits.

Regards,
Sunil

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back