My A/V setup through Papercamera

Reviving my thread with a picture of the 98" fixed screen hung on the wall, waiting for its partner (on the way to India - Optoma HD66).

2012-03-24211412.jpg

And my setup is being moved from living room to a dedicated room!

:)
Thatz great looking hungry screen ;).
>Grab LED spotlights santy , with yellow tinted light .... i have got some here , about to fit .

Each light takes just 1 W, very much savings w.r.t. bulb spotlights .
>led rope for ambilight behind screen

Last edited:
Kaushik
Yes it is definetly on the back of my mind. I need atleast 25 feet and it seems to be quite expensive. Checked on ebay, was not available for less than Rs. 5 k it seems. In any case, no more purchase untill next month. Wallet drained below redline over the screen and pj.

darshan
There are two bedrooms. My mom prefers to sleep in the living room only. Our master bedroom is 12 x 15 ft. I almost emptied the furnishings into the smaller room. Took a lot of efforts to convince my home minister. :D

Great job Santy. Its always nice to have a dedicated room and envious especially in a city like ours where space is always a constraint.

LED strip lights are very cheap and available locally. Few months back I bought a 10 meter spindle for Rs. 800. And the power supply is another Rs.200. All this from the local electrical market here, no need to import.

Dedicated Room

Santy,

It is the most wise step to move the set up from living room to a dedicated room. It is very few people who would have such dynamic guts or the opportunity. These things all boil down to the amount of passion one has. Congratulations.

Please consider to beam respect for the projector world by not visiting anymore a cinema hall because after spending so much of money on the projector set up laced with the dynamics of a dedicated room and still going to a cinema hall may not be worth it.

V.

Nice work Santy,but isn't that light distracting you during serious movie watching? :rolleyes:
Surely you must be turning it off.

No spiro, I dont get distracted. Infact it helps to reduce the strain on the eyes. What I do is reduce the intensity though. The back light hardly affects the contrast of the screen.

EDIT: Color changing mode- yes definitely distracting! I just freeze it in single color while watching movies.

Last edited:
Santy was kind enough to invite my bro & me to his home to view his wonderful setup... Visited him last Sunday afternoon... I was mighty impressed & my brother was just blown away(his 1st exp with a projector setup)... Recorded 2 videos & clicked a few pics of the setup... Srry could not get more as we were too busy enjoying ourselves :) ... I really liked these small idea's Santy has implemented (like a small fan to keep the projector cool or a leaving a small gap behind the screen to put in LED lights)... They really do add tremendous value overall to the exp... BTW srry for the medicore quality video but the setup does look better in real life :) ...

Santy's HD66 & DIY Screen with LED lighting - YouTube

Avatar Demo on HD66 & DIY Screen - YouTube

Photo Album - Imgur

Once again a Big thanks to Santy for inviting us to ur home to view ur wonderful setup :) ...

Thanks Rajadeep. It was a pleasure being with you guys. Glad that you liked the system. I did not realize you were holding the mobile camera for so long. Had been busy with the remote all the time. :) And yes good luck for your HT hunt.

Last edited:
@ Santy even I didnt realize my brother was shooting it until later on :) ... BTW today was a good day was a very good day for me HT wise... My chachaji (dad's cousin) has been a Manufacturer/supplier for DJ equipment for the last 20 odd years... I visited him today & he showed me some of the professional grade speakers he makes... I was blown away with the quality... He had 2 very old Tower speakers in his bedroom made by Arphi which he bought in 1976 still running strong... They sounded so wonderful that I told him then an there that I want speakers just like the ones he had... Coincidently he Had one Arphi speaker(1980s model) lieing in his storeroom... He decided to gift it to me... Also he is gonna help me build/buy all the other parts of the speaker set too... Unfortunately he had only 1 single speaker but I think I will use it as my centre... Its not much to look at(it is 20-25 years old) but it sound really wonderful... We tried it with an amp(just this one speaker nothing else) using an iphone connected to a headphone jack as a source... Just this single speaker by itself just blew me away :D ... After prem's speakers this is probably the best speaker I have heard & it wasnt even in a stereo setup :) ... Very excited today :D ...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow that's quite a huge centre if you decide to keep it that way. Yeah, some vintage speakers can still beat the pants off many new brands in a certain cost bracket. Congrats for getting the first component of your HT. Make sure you keep the centre such a way it does not spoil the aesthetics of your setup/ HT room if you consider that to be important.

Lolz ya I know it is freaking huge for a centre(2x12in units in there) but it just sounds so nice that I wanna definately use it somewhere... My uncle suggested that if it does not match the other components of the setup then we could make a small hole in the back put another set of wires in & turn this speaker into a stereo speaker... If I have to go this route will just add a decent DIY amp & viola an antique DIY soundbar for the new LED/Plasma I will be buying :D ... Well the TV is mostly gonna be used by my MOM & during the day she does not even watch it... She mostly keeps the TV on at high volume & just listens to the cookery channel or the news while goning about her work in the kitchen or dining room... Problem is Dining room is 30 odd feet away from the TV & kitchen is another 12-15 feet away(total around 45 feet)... This distance is no biggie for our present CRT TV as it has huge speakers but the speakers on the new LED/plasmas are just plain crap... Will have to see how things work out...

Lolz ya I know it is freaking huge for a centre(2x12in units in there) but it just sounds so nice that I wanna definately use it somewhere... My uncle suggested that if it does not match the other components of the setup then we could make a small hole in the back put another set of wires in & turn this speaker into a stereo speaker... If I have to go this route will just add a decent DIY amp & viola an antique DIY soundbar for the new LED/Plasma I will be buying :D ... Well the TV is mostly gonna be used by my MOM & during the day she does not even watch it... She mostly keeps the TV on at high volume & just listens to the cookery channel or the news while goning about her work in the kitchen or dining room... Problem is Dining room is 30 odd feet away from the TV & kitchen is another 12-15 feet away(total around 45 feet)... This distance is no biggie for our present CRT TV as it has huge speakers but the speakers on the new LED/plasmas are just plain crap... Will have to see how things work out...

Lucky you is all i can say about the speaker.

If sound is all that your mom needs, then you can connect the set top box to an avr or amp once you have them in place. You dont need to keep the plasma running and get enough loudness from the ht speakers.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back