My Article on media players/streamers for regular junta

I feel there are some mistakes ...experts please correct

1) Was WD TV first of it's kind ..i doubt, what about Apple Tv which had on board storage?
2) First WD TV was with HDMI and capable of 1080 P ,I have it ,so I know
( From YOUR Article - The first HD chipset was Sigma 8336 (300Mhz),used in the wdtv hd mk1, could not play DTS audio and took as much as 10 seconds to play a 1080p file.)
3) Component based WD TV came later

Article does not mention NMT....

also for long I was seeing composite out based HDD casings.

Experts your views please

The 1st one was capable of 1080i. Also Apple TV does not really fall in the category of a standard USB/NW media player. It's wedded to itunes. The 1st gen wd tv mk1 had a slow UI. Also note this article is for non-techie junta. Thanks for your feedback.

The 1st one was capable of 1080i. Also Apple TV does not really fall in the category of a standard USB/NW media player. It's wedded to itunes. The 1st gen wd tv mk1 had a slow UI. Also note this article is for non-techie junta. Thanks for your feedback.

Can you show me references?
As I owe WD TV gen 1 ( Got it from US) and it is handling 1080 P.....also WDTV was immanently announced on our forum as soon as it was available in India

Also found some first look arcles which was around Nov 2008

First Look: Western Digital WD TV | HDTV | Macworld

Review: Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

Nowhere there was mention of your 2007 Componant WDTv

also when I was checking WDTV on amazon never found older version

will you enlighten with your sources and 2007 date??

Ok I have considered your points and have changed the article accordingly after revisiting the sources. Thanks for your constructive cricism.

Funnily enough if you would have searched our forum you must have found all the information.and google always come handy.

Ok I have considered your points and have changed the article accordingly after revisiting the sources. Thanks for your constructive cricism.

Nice article there! Just now finished reading it. Should be surely useful to the non-techie junta like you said.

By the way, even I have a Gen 1 WDTV HD media player. Now which media player also plays MKVs with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD ? I don't think the WDTV supports this yet. Can the MKV container have DTS-HD / Dolby TrueHD sound first of all ? Not even sure about this.

---Venkat

Nice article there! Just now finished reading it. Should be surely useful to the non-techie junta like you said.

By the way, even I have a Gen 1 WDTV HD media player. Now which media player also plays MKVs with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD ? I don't think the WDTV supports this yet. Can the MKV container have DTS-HD / Dolby TrueHD sound first of all ? Not even sure about this.

---Venkat

Thanks...atleast someone appreciated the article. Any Player with a Realtek 1073DD(+) chipset will support Dolby truHD and DTS HD MA. The AC Ryan Playon for instance

???
Cpmpared to? I never find it too slow although some players may be faster.

non-techie junta also deserves accurate information....

You're more than welcome to disseminate accurate information on our site if you have time...we're looking for contributors.

I have a Popcorn Hour, which is also similar, don't know when it was initially launched though it is also a good device. I think it is a good idea to disseminate info to people who don't know about such things.

Good article for beginners I would say. Good job.
Were you talking about the Indian market only when you said that WDTV was the first?
I had begun hunting for media players to play mkvs about 2-3 years ago. As george mentioned, PCH was the first one that I came across. Also I dont think you mentioned ACRPOHD as one of those available these days.
Anyways, good simple piece giving general information.

Last edited:
No in india too TvIx ads I am seeing in Av max long before Wd Tv. In fact WD Tv never claimed first of it's kind.( Following it when it wasannounced in this forum)

I can see one iomegas posting April 23, 2008 which is older than any WD Tv posting
New Iomega ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive Brings High-Definition Content, via Upscaling, From the PC to the Home Theater System

Of course the author of this JUNTA article saw Wd Tv in 2007 but he is not offering any proof :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:.Or this classified info must be hidden by WD so googling does not help...:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

I am frustrated as such half baked articles keep on appearing esp in technical supplements. Vernacular press is another ballgame ..where some "experts" write about products where one suspects their basic understanding of technology...

Well as mentioned in the article, the apple TV preceded all. but it wasn't a device that offered HD play via 'sneakcasting'. Maybe there were devices that preceded the WD TV in that functionality, but that box basically ushered in the whole damn usb-based HD media play into the limelight, since it was backed by such a prestigious manufacturer. And Hemanth, I had a factual error about the 2007 date, which I redacted...so stop rubbing it in. And the Iomega screenplay u sighted could not read H364 files. It simply upscales regular sd divx/wmv to 1080i pretty much like any hdmi equipped dvd player. A friend of mine has that device, but uses it as a regular external hdd and hooks it to the USB jack of his telly.

@Hemanth if you're frustrated by half-baked articles, then take up the initiative and write , instead of lamenting here. I openly invite you to write on dazeinfo.com (fill out the join us form and you'll get an authoring uid & pwd) Like the Mahatma once said "Be the change you want to see in the world"

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back