My Bad experience with LG C9 65” OLED

rejin

My LG C9 65” OLED panel is dead 1 month after warranty expiration, and LG is not ready to provide the panel replaced under goodwill.

I had purchased the TV from offline store in Chennai during 2019 Diwali sale (Invoiced 27th Oct 2019) and it came with 3 years warranty. The TV was not turning on from 12th Dec 2022, and the authorized technician after the visit has informed that the panel needs to be replaced.

My panel was replaced in June 2022 ( 5 months ago) due to the same issue, and I am quite shocked to see that one of their top of the line TV panel lasted only for few months, that too I have used the new panel for less than 30 hours. The new panel cost Rs.1,02,500/-.

The sad part is that my TV has only 1020 hours of total turn on time as per the TV status. After the pandemic outbreak I was in native almost all of warranty period, and never got a chance to really use the TV.

Timeline

27th Oct 2019 – TV purchased.

Nov 2019 - TV delivered.

June 2020 - Stopped using TV as I moved to native due to work at home (TV Usage: 7 months)

May 2021 - Used for 1 month as I visited to clean and maintenance of flat. (Total TV Usage: 8 months)

June 2022 - Had asked a friend to check if all appliances are working fine, and found that the TV is not turning on. Raised a complaint and Identified that it is panel issue and got it was replaced under warranty. The TV didn’t function even on panel replacement, so the TV was carried to the service center by technician, and it was returned in working condition. My friend was managing this, and I am not aware what exactly was done to make it work, however I was told they have replaced new panel.

Sept 2022 – I moved back to Chennai and started using the TV.

3rd Dec 2022 - I travelled to native and upon returning after a week, the TV is not turning on again. I had removed all the wires from the power socket before going for vacation. Not sure how the panel could be dead with such minimal usage. (Total usage of the TV 12 months, With new panel 3 months).

12th Dec 2022 – Ticket raised for service.

15th Dec 2022- Identified panel issue.

Dec 21th – Informed LG official that the panel was replaced in last June, so he said that then the panel will come with 1 year warranty. He raised it to his manager who didn’t approve the panel replacement. The manager told him that there no chance for the panel will die in 3 months, and he wanted to try replacing the motherboard once. I raised a new request for this motherboard replacement.

23nd Dec 2022- Technician tried replacing the motherboard, but it still it didn’t work,so I asked them to get the panel replaced as I am eligible for 1 year on the new panel.

24th Dec 2022 - They checked the records again and informed me that the previous panel replacement was not a paid one, so I am not eligible for any warranty and I will have to pay for the replacement.

I contacted the technician that has replaced my panel in June to understand what was done on the TV apart from panel replacement. He said that some component “Jiq” was changed, I am not able to understand what it is. He promised to get the JIQ offline and test if it is really the panel issue, so I am waiting for this.

I suspect that either used/bad panel was provided to me under warranty, or I have been really unlucky with this TV. LG rep says that the warranty will expire on the mid night of the warranty end date and they will not provide any warranty after that . This experience will surely stop me from buying any high value purchase in future, and I think it is better off buying more affordable TV.

I would like to know whether anyone else have faced any similar issue with the TV and did LG provide a free panel replacement?

My LG C9 65” OLED panel is dead 1 month after warranty expiration, and LG is not ready to provide the panel replaced under goodwill.

I had purchased the TV from offline store in Chennai during 2019 Diwali sale (Invoiced 27th Oct 2019) and it came with 3 years warranty. The TV was not turning on from 12th Dec 2022, and the authorized technician after the visit has informed that the panel needs to be replaced.

My panel was replaced in June 2022 ( 5 months ago) due to the same issue, and I am quite shocked to see that one of their top of the line TV panel lasted only for few months, that too I have used the new panel for less than 30 hours. The new panel cost Rs.1,02,500/-.

The sad part is that my TV has only 1020 hours of total turn on time as per the TV status. After the pandemic outbreak I was in native almost all of warranty period, and never got a chance to really use the TV.

Timeline

Nov 2019 - TV delivered.

June 2020 - Stopped using TV as I moved to native due to work at home (TV Usage: 7 months)

May 2021 - Used for 1 month as I visited to clean and maintenance of flat. (Total TV Usage: 8 months)

June 2022 - Had asked a friend to check if all appliances are working fine, and found that the TV is not turning on. Raised a complaint and Identified that it is panel issue and got it was replaced under warranty. The TV didn’t function even on panel replacement, so the TV was carried to the service center by technician, and it was returned in working condition. My friend was managing this, and I am not aware what exactly was done to make it work, however I was told they have replaced new panel.

3rd Dec 2022 - I travelled to native and upon returning after a week, the TV is not turning on again. I had removed all the wires from the power socket before going for vacation. Not sure how the panel could be dead with such minimal usage. (Total usage of the TV 12 months, With new panel 3 months).

Dec 21th – Informed LG official that the panel was replaced in last June, so he said that then the panel will come with 1 year warranty. He raised it to his manager who didn’t approve the panel replacement. The manager told him that there no chance for the panel will die in 3 months, and he wanted to try replacing the motherboard once. I raised a new request for this motherboard replacement.

23nd Dec 2022- Technician tried replacing the motherboard, but it still it didn’t work,so I asked them to get the panel replaced as I am eligible for 1 year on the new panel.

24th Dec 2022 - They checked the records again and informed me that the previous panel replacement was not a paid one, so I am not eligible for any warranty and I will have to pay for the replacement.

I contacted the technician that has replaced my panel in June to understand what was done on the TV apart from panel replacement. He said that some component “Jiq” was changed, I am not able to understand what it is. He promised to get the JIQ offline and test if it is really the panel issue, so I am waiting for this.

I suspect that either used/bad panel was provided to me under warranty, or I have been really unlucky with this TV. LG rep says that the warranty will expire on the mid night of the warranty end date and they will not provide any warranty after that . This experience will surely stop me from buying any high value purchase in future, and I think it is better off buying more affordable TV.

I would like to know whether anyone else have faced any similar issue with the TV and did LG provide a free panel replacement?
I would suggest that you keep a record of all your communication with LG. If a panel has been replaced it should come with its own warranty , otherwise what's the point of the repair, especially if it has conked off in such a short time.
You should first show the TV to a local technician , and second , you will need to consider filing a court case in the consumer forum against LG. Which will be a long drawn out process because unfortunately our country is that way.
Either way , wait for this JIQ test to come back and then take a call.

You can read my story in this thread

I would suggest that you keep a record of all your communication with LG. If a panel has been replaced it should come with its own warranty , otherwise what's the point of the repair, especially if it has conked off in such a short time.
You should first show the TV to a local technician , and second , you will need to consider filing a court case in the consumer forum against LG. Which will be a long drawn out process because unfortunately our country is that way.
Either way , wait for this JIQ test to come back and then take a call.
Yes @arjun.m23 , i am keeping track of all the communications .

I think there is not much any local technical can do about such complicated product and delicate product.

I think I should take it to the social media.

You can read my story in this thread

Thanks @Love4sound .
I understand that the panel was replaced a day without any intimation from LG. Not sure which of the step that you had taken made LG to do this replacement. Is it due to the youtube video or social media?

Thanks @Love4sound .
I understand that the panel was replaced a day without any intimation from LG. Not sure which of the step that you had taken made LG to do this replacement. Is it due to the youtube video or social media?
If I remember they called and updated that the panel replacement has been approved and once the local service Center received the panel they called for booking appointment a day prior to replace the panel. I am not sure what changed their mind cause they offered 50% discount and closed the case. After spamming a lot on social media at one point I also gave up. In my case I have to be thankful and been extremely lucky.

OMG! After replacing the new panel it went bad again. This is very bad very very bad from LG.
I request you to expose this on social media too...Hope you will get good resolution for this problem.

It looks like the replaced panel might be bad quality. Otherwise, it'd not be gone kaput like this. I was planning on upgrading my Sony 4k HDR to LG OLED tv. But this kind of horror stories make to think twice. I better stick with my Sony for some time, Else upgrade to Sony OLED even though it's on premium end.

It looks like the replaced panel might be bad quality. Otherwise, it'd not be gone kaput like this. I was planning on upgrading my Sony 4k HDR to LG OLED tv. But this kind of horror stories make to think twice. I better stick with my Sony for some time, Else upgrade to Sony OLED even though it's on premium end.
Thats what even I'm thinking about. Either they did a shoddy job when replacing the panel earlier or they replaced with some returned/faulty display from others.
I don't know how a replaced panel can't even last more than a year that too considering its an expensive panel.

I feel sorry for you Rejin. You havent even used it for many hours too..Hope they take necessary action or atleast find the exact root cause why the panel went bad soon after a year..

I would suggest that find a contact and write to someone LG Korea.
I am looking for some email id for LG India and LG global, but I couldnt find one. Earlier there used to a VOC(Voice Of Customer) program for LG. It looks like that is not available now

Sorry for you, Rejin.
In my opinion, LG should honour warranty for the replacement panel.
There is a chance that the service center installed refurbished panel on your TV.
Try writing to LG on social medias. Hope, they honor your claim.

Long back(abt 5 years), LG did give me a 1 year warranty on replaced panel(LCD).
TV warranty was about to expire - about 4 months left.
The replacement Work Order/Invoice had mentioned 1 year warranty. On top of it , the service engineer had hand written with sign as an acknowledgement.

... markets have changed...

... markets have changed...
More than the market, in this case I would say the mentality towards the customer has changed and has got nothing to do with the market. It is the way a person or a company thinks about service to customers.
If the consumer is paying for a brand new expensive LG panel, shouldn't there be any quality control considering failure in such a short time.. The same company will not show this kind of attitude in Europe or US.
What is the harm in going a little out of the way to help a genuine customer & how much expense would LG have to bear ? It's sad that the service of many international companies suddenly downgrades when it comes to this part of Asia.

More than the market, in this case I would say the mentality towards the customer has changed and has got nothing to do with the market. It is the way a person or a company thinks about service to customers.
If the consumer is paying for a brand new expensive LG panel, shouldn't there be any quality control considering failure in such a short time.. The same company will not show this kind of attitude in Europe or US.
What is the harm in going a little out of the way to help a genuine customer & how much expense would LG have to bear ? It's sad that the service of many international companies suddenly downgrades when it comes to this part of Asia.

yep, I'v summarized .
Its does not look like they are in Consumer Durables anymore, just Vegetables , if something is rotten , discard them - that includes Consumers! who are also part of their planned obsolescence. They do not want any repeat consumers. Their Projected target was met for the Fiscal year!

Timeline

Nov 2019 - TV delivered.

Sorry to hear..... I bought my LG OLED in 2018 and in 2020 my screen started showing burn in images and shades, when i raised the complaint to LG, they said it will cost around 40k to replace post warranty. However, I persuaded them to replace for free of cost.

Sorry to hear..... I bought my LG OLED in 2018 and in 2020 my screen started showing burn in images and shades, when i raised the complaint to LG, they said it will cost around 40k to replace post warranty. However, I persuaded them to replace for free of cost.
Could you please let me know how you followed up with LG?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back