My Dedicated New Home Theater

giddavr

Hello everybody

I am a 57 yr old Doctor from a small town in Andhra Pradesh. I love movies and have been enjoying them on a 50" Sony 3LCD RPTV till now. Hadjust returned from the US of A with a Panasonic 200 720P LCD Projector and a Samsung 1080p8 upconverting DVD player.

This has enabled me to start on my longstanding dream of a dedicated Home Th.
I had a spare room on groundfloor which I had previously used as a Darkroom for phography. Since the digital age there is no longer a use for the same and I have decided to convert it into my HT.

The room size is 190" Long, 152" Wide and 144" High. I shall be having a false roofing installed to a height of 120", which would give me a Good acoustic Room Dimension. There will be a Split AC and 2 rows of seating - a front row of comfy
Sofa seats ( may be 4 lazy boys) and a backrow of reclining theatre seats- 4-5. on a
15? Riser.

My Design Goals in order of priority:

1. The picture
2. The Sound
3. Comfortabe Seating
4. Aesthetics

To this end I have had a door and a window on a wall dummied for preparation as the Frontwall with the screen. The walls have been painted with a Very Dark Blue Color
As I didn??t want any light reflections from the screen degrading the image. Black Matte is the ideal color but I have yet to see any theatre with black on the walls. This color was nice looking and you can see the result in the attached screen image.

It??s been 3 days since I started on the projector and I have been able to get a sample screen image today.

I hope to post the entire construction as it evolves with my thoughts and doings.

The screen shots for your enjoyment.

Gvr. 9/7

PS: My Equipment will be 1. Panasonic PTAX200U LCD Projector. 2. Samsung DVD 1080P8 upconverting player OR Oppo 971H upconverting DVD Player.
3. Onkyo TX-SR504 AV Receiver. 4. Polk Audio ?? M40s for Front, CS1 Center,
RA101s for side and back surrounds with a DIY 15? 240W. powered Sub.

Last edited:
Giddavr,

I am shocked with joy, that it is raining with dedicated home theatre's, in one day two guys are showing us what they are making.

Being in a small state, and that too in the interiors yet, you are very progressive towards personal entertainment.

You have provided a lot of details, for which I will write later.

The attached images are not opening, like in the case of glads, I do not know what has gone wrong, are other members able to see the photos?

Congratulations, once again.

Vinay.

There is a way to load bigger pictures on this site, as i am not good with the computers so i had taken professional help, there are many members who have loaded bigger images.

If you go to forums, see the anouncement area.

Vinay.

Thanks Vinay

I dont think u will be able to view larger images because the size limitation of 20K doesn't allow me to upload larger images.

U can however see larger screen shots in my duplicate thread at My Dedicated New Home Theater - Home Theater Systems - Electronics and Forum - HomeTheaterShack, which will contain the same posts as here

GvR

This link which you have given of some other site, one can not see the photo's till one has a log in and password details.

So please load the pictures on this hifisite only, the owner of this site, will help you, write to him, they are always quick to help.

Vinay.

agree with vinay, both places are asking for a password,

i am also setting up my home theater shortly, looking at your pictures will give me a good idea of what paint to be used for the roof and the walls in the room where i have my screen put up ,

nice setup, pictures look cool, i had inquired about the same projector ax 200, but it was costing around 90k + vat locally, so dropped the idea to buy this one,

the blue colour looks good and matches well with the room, what colour shade and paint have you used, i am also looking to paint the roof and walls of my HT room,

Dear MR. G,

These days will the help of forums, you can get the job done easily. Make it once but make it right.

Please type in to get any sorts of help.

All the best in your endeavours.

Sumit

Dear MR. G,

These days will the help of forums, you can get the job done easily. Make it once but make it right.

Please type in to get any sorts of help.

All the best in your endeavours.

Sumit

A very good point.

Vinay.

Panny is a great projector, especially if you want Big, Wuality images. It is almost as good as a 1080P and the images look great even when the source is only SD DVDs as long as you have a good upconverting player.

I actually wanted to buy the OPPO DVD player, but heard they were comingout with a great Blue Ray Player in December, so decided to wait and bought the Samsung upconverter for 70 Dollars. It is a great performer.

The Panny cost me US $ 1250/- (Rs. 50,000/-) and the Duty was Rs. 10000/-
A great deal if you are travelling out of the country.

GvR

nice setup, pictures look cool, i had inquired about the same projector ax 200, but it was costing around 90k + vat locally, so dropped the idea to buy this one,

the blue colour looks good and matches well with the room, what colour shade and paint have you used, i am also looking to paint the roof and walls of my HT room,

The Paint was Asian Paints Super Acrylic Emulsion - Shade 7429. Night Edition

Panny is a great projector, especially if you want Big, Wuality images. It is almost as good as a 1080P and the images look great even when the source is only SD DVDs as long as you have a good upconverting player.

I actually wanted to buy the OPPO DVD player, but heard they were comingout with a great Blue Ray Player in December, so decided to wait and bought the Samsung upconverter for 70 Dollars. It is a great performer.

The Panny cost me US $ 1250/- (Rs. 50,000/-) and the Duty was Rs. 10000/-
A great deal if you are travelling out of the country.

GvR

That's a great deal on the projector, locally in india it is costing 90k + vat , in grey it is costing around 75k , wish i could get one from abroad as then it will suit my budget

That's a great deal on the projector, locally in india it is costing 90k + vat , in grey it is costing around 75k , wish i could get one from abroad as then it will suit my budget

Dushie: I beg to differ. Pana AE-200U is aaialable for 65K in grey. And, it was available for this price alomost a month back. I was considering it. But, then I bought Mitsubishi HC1500 720p from USA for 31K. I call this a deal.

I don't think Mr. G saved a lot of money on the projector for hassle. He still does not get any warranty.
Sorry MR. G, but I am being very transparent.

Sumit

Dushie: I beg to differ. Pana AE-200U is aaialable for 65K in grey. And, it was available for this price alomost a month back. I was considering it. But, then I bought Mitsubishi HC1500 720p from USA for 31K. I call this a deal.

I don't think Mr. G saved a lot of money on the projector for hassle. He still does not get any warranty.
Sorry MR. G, but I am being very transparent.

Sumit
Dear Sumit

U dont have to be Sorry.

U may have been right under the usual circumstances, but in my case u would be wrong because:

1. I dont have access to reliable gray market dealers, remember I live in a small town in a small corner of AP.
2. The choice of projector is personal, u went for a DLP and I chose a LCD.
3. The Panny came with a 2yr warranty for the projector & 90 day or 500hr warranty on the lamp + 52 free Blockbuster movie rentals.

I can fully utilize the warranty as I have many relatives in the U.S. and there is always some one coming or going every month. And my son is utiliziing the Blockbuster offer.

The customs duty was 10,000/-, but I only paid 5,ooo/ under the table.

So in my case it was an all-win situation

GvR

Hi Sumit

I do agree with most of the points made by GVR

1. I also dont have access to reliable gray market dealers.
2. I am also interested in LCD projector
3. Due to the warranty factor i am avoiding a grey market model as if bulb or something else goes off, i don't have any contacts to get the pj repaired and even if i find one, it will cost for repair as it wont be under warranty.

looking at the above points i feel GvR you got a good deal.

Sumit you have got a great deal on HC1500, but i do not have contacts abroad who can get me a Pj from outside, so i have to look at all the factors,

Getting a pana ax 200 for 65k surely is a good deal, but it does not have any warranty and i don't have any contacts in grey market in bangalore.

sights and sound have advertised Hitachi pjtx100 for 50k, with warranty , so i am looking at that, their latest model pjXT 300 is also available but is 90k with bill, in Grey it may be cheaper around 70k or something.

IF you have any good contacts and can guide in getting the bang for the buck, any suggestions are welcome, as i am looking for buying a screen too. :)

Last edited:
There is a way to load bigger pictures on this site, as i am not good with the computers so i had taken professional help, there are many members who have loaded bigger images.

If you go to forums, see the anouncement area.

Vinay.

Yes, here is the tutorial that will show you how to post images here.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back