My demo and obersvations of a few 4K OLED and Full Array LED TVs

Today, I demo-ed Q7FN, X9000F, A8F and C8.
On side by side comparison of C8 with Q7FN/X9000F, I didn't have the demo clips with me, so sales person played their own videos.
Store was spoon feeding me to buy Sasmung QLed or Sony TV's .
They played same video on Q7FN and C8 side by side, paused on similar frames, I could see hell lot of black crush on C8 and missing details in the shadows and colour tone looked too dark like people faces were way to red/darki, which is in fact quite opposite to what has been mentioned in the online reviews of C8. Q7FN looked very bright and vivid. I had my heart set on C8 before, now I am very confused. I am aware of one fact that is the store was trying their level best to up sell samsung & sony to me. But the video clips played by them did show Samsung and Sony to be clear winner in terms of picture quality. I am very confused here, I am not an expert in terms of TV settings, so couldn't check if they have handicapped the LG from picture settings on purpose or done some other shady tricks.
I know oled's don't perform well in bright environment, but compared to A8F, C8 looked pale.

Please advice which one to go for.

I am aware of one fact that is the store was trying their level best to up sell samsung & sony to me.
Sales fellows usually pitch LG or Samsung very hard, never sony since Sony doesn't give them much leeway with margins due to tighter pricing.
I usually go to stores with two pen drives having identical movie trailers in 480p, 720p and 1080p to have a side-by-side comparison. Also before testing i request sales guy to set the two TVs to default settings. This gives an accurate comparo.

Btw, how was the comparison between A8F and X90F?

On side by side comparison of C8 with Q7FN/X9000F, I didn't have the demo clips with me, so sales person played their own videos.
They played same video on Q7FN and C8 side by side, paused on similar frames, I could see hell lot of black crush on C8 and missing details in the shadows and colour tone looked too dark like people faces were way to red/darki, which is in fact quite opposite to what has been mentioned in the online reviews of C8. Q7FN looked very bright and vivid. I had my heart set on C8 before, now I am very confused. I am aware of one fact that is the store was trying their level best to up sell samsung & sony to me. But the video clips played by them did show Samsung and Sony to be clear winner in terms of picture quality. I am very confused here, I am not an expert in terms of TV settings, so couldn't check if they have handicapped the LG from picture settings on purpose or done some other shady tricks.
I know oled's don't perform well in bright environment, but compared to A8F, C8 looked pale.

The same thing happened with me visited the store in pune.the guy was pushing me for sony showing the demo and pausing it on specific frame to show the difference between sony and lg.I really like the sony A8F that time.Then i visited another store and there the sales person was pushing for lg and he was telling me how sony has the issue of burning.In this store i did like lg c8 over sony.The sony oled looked less bright than lg.

I think first you need to decide between OLED and QLED.I personally prefer OLED because of viewing angles and deep blacks and i watch most of my tv at evening or late night and even if i am watching it on sunday i can always pull curtains and make the room darker.

Now between C8 and A8F both are equally good in real world.You are not going to watch these demo videos at home.I think for Netflix and youtube and Tata sky and PlayStation both TVs should be good 99% of times.each has some unique advantage.A8F has better sound.C8 has more fluid UI and Youtube HDR support(Though you may get that on sony via software update).Sony has a better processor and LG has a magic remote.

Here you can read the comparison between both.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c8-vs-sony-a8f/600/603

I will personally buy LG C8 because its cheaper by 40-50K than Sony with similar performance.

Its the same conclusion I posted in the Original Post of this thread, :D

Since then I have read much and understood a bit more, basically Its simply because of the brightness level of the showroom. And OLEDs do not reach the brightness level of Premium LED Panels like X9000F and QLEDs, so details SEEM to be lost in the showroom. If at home you switch off your lights to watch TV, then buy OLED, it doesnt reach the brightness level of Premium LEDs but because of its much darker blacks you dont need the same brightness level. However personally, I watch TV/Movies while at least there is some light in the room, hence I am personally interested in the X9000F and QLEDs.

Its the same conclusion I posted in the Original Post of this thread, :D

Since then I have read much and understood a bit more, basically Its simply because of the brightness level of the showroom. And OLEDs do not reach the brightness level of Premium LED Panels like X9000F and QLEDs, so details SEEM to be lost in the showroom. If at home you switch off your lights to watch TV, then buy OLED, it doesnt reach the brightness level of Premium LEDs but because of its much darker blacks you dont need the same brightness level. However personally, I watch TV/Movies while at least there is some light in the room, hence I am personally interested in the X9000F and QLEDs.

It is not the case that you can not watch OLEDs with lights on.The C8 has sustained HDR brightness around 700 nits which is more than enough .If you compare It with similar priced QLED Q6FN then you will see that it has better HDR scene brightness.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c8-vs-samsung-q6fn/600/623#usage*4854!threshold*0.1

The advantage QLED has over OLED is in colors.It can produce much more vivid colors due to quantum dots technology.

The only disadvantage of OLEDs is Possible Burn in after some years.I agree that OLEDs has less Brightness than Premium LED tvs but unless you are planning to watch it very very bright room I will prefer getting OLED though X9000F is also a great tv.

It is not the case that you can not watch OLEDs with lights on.The C8 has sustained HDR brightness around 700 nits which is more than enough .If you compare It with similar priced QLED Q6FN then you will see that it has better HDR scene brightness.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c8-vs-samsung-q6fn/600/623#usage*4854!threshold*0.1

The advantage QLED has over OLED is in colors.It can produce much more vivid colors due to quantum dots technology.

The only disadvantage of OLEDs is Possible Burn in after some years.I agree that OLEDs has less Brightness than Premium LED tvs but unless you are planning to watch it very very bright room I will prefer getting OLED though X9000F is also a great tv.

See reviews are great for Tech products, but as far as Video and Audio is concerned any review/feedback is all very subjective, and here it seems most are agreeing to the same facts that we have seen with our own eyes, ie In bright lit rooms C8 and even Sony OLED lose details around the dark areas.

See reviews are great for Tech products, but as far as Video and Audio is concerned any review/feedback is all very subjective, and here it seems most are agreeing to the same facts that we have seen with our own eyes, ie In bright lit rooms C8 and even Sony OLED lose details around the dark areas.
This review and comparison is based on the actual number such as brightness,response time,input lag,native contrast ratio.So this can not be subjective.I agree that end of the day its your money so buy what u see and like.All the tvs OLED or QLED Or Sony X90F are excellent tv.

My personal opinion is unless you have showroom level bright light in your house or you are planning to watch tv with 15-20 lights on.OLED brightness can not be an issue for most of the users.OLEDs do have potential burn issue though that is something one needs to consider specially tv is something which is going to be there in your house for 5-6 years.As i said above buy according to your choice and preference.

Before stating any demo make sure the picture mode is Cinema or Movie mode on the TV. This will eliminate all unnecessary picture processing and show true picture quality of the panel. This is how I've been doing for all me demo. Judging a panel quality from the Vivid mode is not the right way.

Hi got a deal of 1.2 lakhs for Sony X9000f in Bajaj electronics (Hyderabad) and Rs. 1.3 for LG B8 Oled at Reliance digital (Banjara Hills). LG C8, did not negotiate as it was quoted at 1.8 lakhs, might get it for 1.5 if negotiated.
You can negotiate at your places based on this pricing. These are the festival offer prices in Hyderabad currently running.

I bought LG C8 in Bangalore for 1.4L as the base price - on that will be getting 9k as HDFC cash back and 2.5k SBI cash back. So effective price for TV comes to 1.28L. In addition, you can make the purchase between 5pm-9pm for 10x reward points on HDFC card.

Pls PM me if you need additional details.

I bought LG C8 in Bangalore for 1.4L as the base price - on that will be getting 9k as HDFC cash back and 2.5k SBI cash back. So effective price for TV comes to 1.28L. In addition, you can make the purchase between 5pm-9pm for 10x reward points on HDFC card.

Congrats "zendya". Great deal. Happy viewing

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi got a deal of 1.2 lakhs for Sony X9000f in Bajaj electronics (Hyderabad) and Rs. 1.3 for LG B8 Oled at Reliance digital (Banjara Hills). LG C8, did not negotiate as it was quoted at 1.8 lakhs, might get it for 1.5 if negotiated.
You can negotiate at your places based on this pricing. These are the festival offer prices in Hyderabad currently running.
Thats a great deal, you got a C8 at the price of B8.
And its a great TV too. Happy viewing...

can u share shop and place in bangalore?

Sorry for being off topic.

Does anyone came across any store shelving Sony x9300e? I've been searching for this one. Since its a 2017 model, its very hard to find one. Thanks in advance.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back