My DIY Telescope....

Anil kumar

Hi all, my 4" DIY refractor telescope had first light few weeks back, rendered crisp images of moon & jupiter, this achromat lens was bought from Cloudy Night Telescope Reviews classifieds last year. Project involved lot of machine work, had to run around places to get things done. Optical tube weighs 8 kg's. This is my second BIG project after my DIY floorstanders....http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/158-my-first-diy-speakers.html

1980's Japanese Vintage CARTON lens

Carton.jpg

Fully loaded scope ready for action

Final_lores.jpg

OTA_01.jpg

OTA_05.jpg

Last edited:
counterweight.jpg

Baffle calculation process

Bafflecalculation.jpg

Wooden machined baffles

woodenbaffles.jpg

Akshay_01JPG.jpg

Chandra01.jpg

Main reason for DIY is not about saving money, to gain knowledge, handling of tools, new skills, and the enormous feeling of satisfaction that comes from building your own equipment. This is worth far more than money. DIY for the fun of creation,to learn, or to get something that can't be bought & tweaking to your taste. DIY is one of the most absorbing and satisfying hobbies around. DIY approach is more about satisfaction and creation than anything else.

Last edited:
Hi,

Anil Buddy,Now what can I say :p ?? man O man Am so pleased so see all those pics !! I mean you have put in such great effort and time on this that it really deserves much more then just a few words :)!!

Congrats on a job well done !! Hope you have a ball with the telescope !!

Please do keep us posted on the latest happenings !!

Regards.

Hi Anil,

I seriously do not know how to express my happiness for you!!!

You made me go through my personal life flashback; when I was trying to make a telescope - and I did make one, though it was nowhere compared to yours!

It was merely a tube with spectacle lenses - a galilean type. I could barely see the girl next door.. :D but it was a joyous device for some years. I had no money to buy lenses or even tubes at that time.... I still remember how angry my parents were, for "wasting" study time on Astronomy... :(

so I'm glad to find somebody who finds time to be creative and successful.

Congrats and do keep us updated on your success!!

Dear Anil

Wow, solid work. damn good look professional look. all the best

Great Work Anil , the end result should be very good , keep us updated....... These DIYs gives us a satisfaction which cannot be expressed by words. I have tried some speakers but the quality was very poor , but i got a satisfaction as if i have made a Wilson Audio .

Enjoy your DIY

Mohan.

Anil,

Great work. I think this is the toughest job compared to floorstanders work. Congratulations.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Anil
Congratulations for a very neat work.It does appear to me a professional job rather than do it yourself effort. Congratulations once again.Even though I am a layman in optics and astronomy I was able to see the fine details in this DIY effort.
Thanking you,
Sincerely,
pksnathan

Simply amazing ! :eek:
Hi anil, i would like to know as how long it took to complete this DIY work & approx how much did you invest to get such perfection ! Its not about money but to know as not every one can do such ........just to share more experience which you had while making this !
Thanx a ton

Thanks to all for the comments.

Hi Robo, sorry...i do not know your real name.
Right from procuring the aluminium tube to powdercaoting, i took 2 months to complete the entire project (only sat & sun), infact it's quite fast!!!!
Most of the work done by me, like cutting the tube, filing, drilling, threading & painting work. Aligning the optical path was most difficult part of all, but it was bulls eye...everything was perfect like a factory fit, worked cool:cool: Lot of running around to get the right kind of material for the project. Initially everythig was worked out on paper, spent around 18k for the project. Scope looks professional and performs like one....Image quality is extreamly good. Chk the attached pic, hope this explains all.....

Anil

Lenscell.jpg

Clamphandledesign.jpg

Refractorpath.jpg

Simply amazing ! :eek:
Hi anil, i would like to know as how long it took to complete this DIY work & approx how much did you invest to get such perfection ! Its not about money but to know as not every one can do such ........just to share more experience which you had while making this !
Thanx a ton

Anil,

An absolutely great piece of work, with a lot of passion clearly visible in the result!

Are you planning to connect the attachment for the camera for you to be able to share the images, (An idea for an upgrade over the next few weeks, ;))

Congratulations and Enjoy!

Danccc

I

Yes danccc, a digital SLR will do the job this weekend, i shall post the pictures soon.

Anil

Anil,

An absolutely great piece of work, with a lot of passion clearly visible in the result!

Are you planning to connect the attachment for the camera for you to be able to share the images, (An idea for an upgrade over the next few weeks, ;))

Congratulations and Enjoy!

Danccc

I

what can i say! Anil you stand apart among the handful DIYers...
i was on holiday trip ..so replied late....

pictures awaited !!!! :D

Great Job Anil,

Don't work for my happiness, my brothers--show me yours--show me that it is possible--show me your achievement--and the knowledge will give me courage for mine.-- Ayn Rand- Fountainhead

An intelligent mans passion branches out in various directions and is a reflection of his sense of life. Passion for audio gear is just one of them. Thats why you find most ardent audiophiles are not simply audiophiles alone. They are passionate photographers, auto enthusiasts, astronomers, fitness maniacs, etc and thats what separates them from wannabe audiophiles who go behind brands, golden eared reviewers and such tomfoolery. The knowledge gained from such a synthesis of various fields is invaluable. This project of yours shows that you are one of those rare kinds

To me it means a lot to meet people like you and I am glad I joined this forum. Truly fantastic work and keep up your passion. Thank you, for just being what you are!

This is really an awesome job. I seriously hope it drives others to achieve similar things. I am seriously thinking of using my spare time, which I waste like anything, to do something productive. Though I would prefer baby steps first.
Any tips to other people as to how to go about anything DIY, where to get parts etc.

Yes danccc, a digital SLR will do the job this weekend, i shall post the pictures soon.

Anil

Hi Anil, Wonderful work & im looking forward to see the SLR work done through this Telescope.
WAITING FOR PICS..................
all the best
RB9

Pictures of handle development, existing one will be removed.​

Template creation​

handle1.jpg

Marking on the aluminium using paper template​

handle2.jpg

Clamps made out of aluminium strip​

handle3.jpg

Final product​

handle4.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures of moon shot on my 3CCD video camara through telescope.

D SLR pictures will be posted soon....​

singlefile.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back