My DIY Telescope....

Hai Anil Kumar,
It is amazing to see the awe inspiring pictures which depicts step by step of construction of your Telescope. Congratulations. Though I have full know how of construction of Telescopes I was lethargic in collecting numerous items including high end optics. I would like to know the cost of construction, the quality of lenses, whether you can focus distant galaxies and few quasars. I am also a home constructor of highend amplifiers, equalisers and high end speaker systems. I would like to visit you if you are from Hydrabad, Chennai, Pune or Bangalore. Please keep me posted.

My heartiest congrats once again for doing a neat project.

R.Ramamurthy.

Hi raslibi, thanks for the interest shown. There are 300+ objects to see in the sky through 4" telescope, many more if you have a big telescope with sophisticated GPS, GO-TO mount, costs hell of a money. I procured my lens thro Cloudy Night Teleascope reviews classifieds, costed me 8K, it's a vintage achromat doublet made by Carton optical company japan in late 80"s, excellent optics (check the moon photograph taken thro Nikon D80). Whole project took 3 months to complete. I belong to a local Astronomy club @ planatarium.

You can see hundreds of galaxies, nebulae,open star clusters & globular star clusters....a real treat to watch through big telescope.

Anil

Hai Anil Kumar,
It is amazing to see the awe inspiring pictures which depicts step by step of construction of your Telescope. Congratulations. Though I have full know how of construction of Telescopes I was lethargic in collecting numerous items including high end optics. I would like to know the cost of construction, the quality of lenses, whether you can focus distant galaxies and few quasars. I am also a home constructor of highend amplifiers, equalisers and high end speaker systems. I would like to visit you if you are from Hydrabad, Chennai, Pune or Bangalore. Please keep me posted.

My heartiest congrats once again for doing a neat project.

R.Ramamurthy.

Last edited:
Here is a new forum for Amateur Astronomers

AAC
A place where amateur astronomers can meet and discuss and share...

[Amateur Telescope making] [Astrophotography] [Sky events]

[Outreach Programmes] [IYA 2009] [Astrogear]

"I don't have "great" stuff, but I greatly enjoy the stuff I have."

Last edited:
Tejraj and Co. : Review

Only buy from Mr Raju Patel of Tejraj and co. if you know what you are getting into. he will take you for a ride at the first opportunity he gets.
I bought a telescope from him which he said would be The Orion 130St , only after receiving the product did i realize that it was not the same product that was offered by the company(Orion)

He will sell you mostly his own equipment with just one or two of the Original equipments parts.

He sold me the orion optical tube with his own mount, stand, finder scope and eyepieces.this is like running a Lamborghini on kerosene.Pointless.

Beware. please inspect the products before you buy from him. anything not inspected will be replace by a sub-standard part.

beware of Tejraj & Co.

That's too bad, we know him since 1983. We use to buy glass blanks & focussers for DIY newtonian scopes. I bought most of my stuff through eBay & cloudy night classifieds. If you require any help, meet us at Planetarium by 7 pm [sundays only]

ABAAcard-1.jpg

amateur astronomers club

astronomer1_1.gif

Clear skies,
Anil

Tejraj and Co. : Review

Only buy from Mr Raju Patel of Tejraj and co. if you know what you are getting into. he will take you for a ride at the first opportunity he gets.
I bought a telescope from him which he said would be The Orion 130St , only after receiving the product did i realize that it was not the same product that was offered by the company(Orion)

He will sell you mostly his own equipment with just one or two of the Original equipments parts.

He sold me the orion optical tube with his own mount, stand, finder scope and eyepieces.this is like running a Lamborghini on kerosene.Pointless.

Beware. please inspect the products before you buy from him. anything not inspected will be replace by a sub-standard part.

beware of Tejraj & Co.

I belong to a local Astronomy club @ planatarium.

Anil

which one? I want to take astronomy classes - preferably oriented towards Indian Astronomical methods and history and using vedic maths.

Please PM me if you know where I can begin.

Regards

Hi Rahul, please check your PM.

Regards,
Anil

which one? I want to take astronomy classes - preferably oriented towards Indian Astronomical methods and history and using vedic maths.

Please PM me if you know where I can begin.

Regards

Hello Anil,
saw your creation and I am really amazed. I had fair bit of interest in night sky but never had a good idea like how to develop the interest further. Your DIY efforts are quite an eye opener in this regard. I closely follow hubblecast HD broadcasts and they are really a treat to watch in big screen LCD television. I am really interested to take up a DIY telescope project like the one you undertook.Could you please provide me a initial starting point which explains me the principles and the tools required to jump into the action. Once again congratulations on ur amazing creation.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hello Mahiruha, thanks for your interest. I would suggest you to DIY a 6" reflector telescope. DIY refractors are rare as it involves precise alignment of optics. But there is no harm in attempting a refractor, here you are required to know lot of basics of telescope making & tool handling.

The Newtonian reflector are very popular, as many of the entry level telescopes are Newtonians or Dobsonians because the Newtonian design is very simple. The two mirrors are relatively cheap to make, and are mechanically very simple, do not suffer from Chromatic_aberration

In Refractor Telescope light enters the objective lens and is focused through several more lenses [ crown & flint glass types], then passes into an eyepiece. Advantage here is, there is no central obstruction and the net result is higher contrast than a reflecting telescope.

Refracting telescope suffers from chromatic aberration. This is due to the fact that lenses bend light of different colors with different indices of refraction. This means that the different colors of an object will come to focus at different points. Buy at high f ratios [f is the focal length of the lens] they are minimal or totally absent [more in f/8 than f/15].

I would suggest you to get in touch with a local astronomy club & discuss more on mirror making. You can drop in to ABAA when you come down to Bengaluru.

All the best.

Regards,
Anil

Here is the list of astronomy clubs in West Bengal.

SKY WATCHERS ASSOCIATION,
47/1,Beni Banerjee Avenue, Dhakuria,
CALCUTTA, W.Bengal. 700031

ANUSANDHITSU,
32G/1B,Haramohan Ghosh Lane,
CALCUTTA, W.Bengal. 700085

BANGIA BIGYAN PARISHAD,
B16/8,Kalindi Hsg Estate,
CALCUTTA, W.Bengal. 700089

CHETANA PEOPLE'S CULTURAL ORGANISATION,
7D, Rajabagan Street,
Beadon St,
CALCUTTA, W.Bengal. 700006

CHAYA - PATH,
732 G/1B Haramohan Ghose Lane ,
Kolkatta,
West Bengal -700 080

INDIAN ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY,
Mahatma Aswini Kumar Rd.,
P.O.Nabapalli, Barsat,
24 PARGANAS, W.Bengal. 743203

N. C. RANA FOUNDATION,
15, Creek Row,
Kolkatta, West Bengal 700 014

SCIENCE ASSOCIATION OF BENGAL,
104, Diamond Harbour Road,
CALCUTTA. W.Bengal. 700008

Here is the list of Aamateur astronomer associations / clubs that are functioning at other parts of India.

CIAA- ASTRO GROUPS

Hello Anil,
saw your creation and I am really amazed. I had fair bit of interest in night sky but never had a good idea like how to develop the interest further. Your DIY efforts are quite an eye opener in this regard. I closely follow hubblecast HD broadcasts and they are really a treat to watch in big screen LCD television. I am really interested to take up a DIY telescope project like the one you undertook.Could you please provide me a initial starting point which explains me the principles and the tools required to jump into the action. Once again congratulations on ur amazing creation.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Last edited:
Hello Anil,
first of all sorry for replying so late. Well thanks for your useful suggestions. After doing a bit of studies I feel I need to brush up my optics skills. Unfortunately I last studied optics in first year of engineering almost 10 years ago so I have forgotten most of the stuff but I still remeber I really enjoyed solving all those mirror and lens problems. Hence I am planning to get hold of a higher secondary physics book to brush up basic optics literature and then go about it. In a stressed business environment its not easy to have peace of mind to do these things but I am sure this journey will be a lot of fun when I get time. As per your suggestion I will try and get in touch with some of those guys after I finish my reading to see how I can go about making the telescope. Btw did you witness the eclipse. Unfortunately I missed it since it was cloudy here and I was still in bed.
Thanks.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back