My earthing is screwed

Again, looks like problem at EB end. Now it's making sense why they said only two houses has issues. In fact, all have. It's unfortunate that no one uses proper tools and "sub kuch chalta hain" attitude. I have seen electricians using bare hands to check if the wire is lve instead of testers.
Yes every apartment has the same issue. Now if every apartments raise a complaint EB will take it serious. I have taken so much efforts and people who see me testing also just ask what’s the issue and they just don’t bother.My community is like fan is running, tv is working I am not getting shock so hell yeah who cares if N-E is high. Any ways I will continue to pursue with EB

I am getting this on all terminals and ports of devices that are working on two pin ie Tv, avr and printer. Is this a symptom of N-E V being high or I need to check earthing? This now introduces ground loops.

Attachments

• 970C0541-D5F9-408A-B4AC-4E4757C3966E.jpeg
    970C0541-D5F9-408A-B4AC-4E4757C3966E.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 27
I am getting this on all terminals and ports of devices that are working on two pin ie Tv, avr and printer. Is this a symptom of N-E V being high or I need to check earthing? This now introduces ground loops.
What is this 2pin equipment? Is it standalone and not a single device is connected to it? If not a single device is connnected to it, then this equpment is at fault. You can try reversing the 2 pin plug and see if it solves the problem. Let me know. If it solves the problem then probably this equipment has a SMPS inside and a safety capacitor has gone bad.

But if this usb cable is connected to this equipment with 2 pin plug and there are other devices connected to this equipment (e.g. RCA cables or anything which further connect to another 3 pin equipment), then the leakage is happening because of bad earth.

This happens when there is high leakage in neutral. I had 70V neutral voltage 10 days ago due to short circuit in the main line and had same situation getting shock in all devices and USB cables.

What is this 2pin equipment? Is it standalone and not a single device is connected to it? If not a single device is connnected to it, then this equpment is at fault. You can try reversing the 2 pin plug and see if it solves the problem. Let me know. If it solves the problem then probably this equipment has a SMPS inside and a safety capacitor has gone bad.

But if this usb cable is connected to this equipment with 2 pin plug and there are other devices connected to this equipment (e.g. RCA cables or anything which further connect to another 3 pin equipment), then the leakage is happening because of bad earth.
Denon 4500, c9 are two pin. Will check later by reversing the pin and update you
This happens when there is high leakage in neutral. I had 70V neutral voltage 10 days ago due to short circuit in the main line and had same situation getting shock in all devices and USB cables.
ok finally got a EB contact who agreed to check and help me out.

Denon 4500, c9 are two pin. Will check later by reversing the pin and update you
What is C9? Is this a television set connected to the Denon? The leak also could be coming from the TV through the HDMI cable. That's why I said if even one device, cable, etc is connected to your Denon, the problem could be in another equipment. And if this other equipment (e.g. TV) is a 3 pin device, then the leakage could be because of faulty earth and not your denon or the TV

What is C9? Is this a television set connected to the Denon? The leak also could be coming from the TV through the HDMI cable. That's why I said if even one device, cable, etc is connected to your Denon, the problem could be in another equipment. And if this other equipment (e.g. TV) is a 3 pin device, then the leakage could be because of faulty earth and not your denon or the TV
Yes C9 is my tv. So my Denon avr, nvidia shield, mini dsp, rythmik subwoofers are all working on two pin. Power issue is confirmed in my place since N-E V is 20-40. I took only my avr to a know forum member place who also has the same denon 4500. So we connected both mine and his 4500 to the same vertex Stabilizer and to my shock only in my AVR there was current leakage. So even if connected with proper power supply I am having the issue. I came back home and checked everything and the devices that have this issue are Denon avr, nvidia shield and my c9. Mini dsp and subwoofers don’t have this problem. So this means my avr, tv and shield is having this problem and will be present even in perfect power supply. I grounded only my Denon avr by connecting a wire to avr radio terminal with earth terminal in a socket. Now this resolves the current leakage issue but not sure if it’s safe to use like this with so many devices in my chain leaking current

Yes C9 is my tv. So my Denon avr, nvidia shield, mini dsp, rythmik subwoofers are all working on two pin. Power issue is confirmed in my place since N-E V is 20-40. I took only my avr to a know forum member place who also has the same denon 4500. So we connected both mine and his 4500 to the same vertex Stabilizer and to my shock only in my AVR there was current leakage. So even if in proper power supply I am having the issue. I came back home and checked everything and the devices that have this issue are Denon avr, nvidia shield and my c9. Mini dsp and subwoofers don’t have this problem. So this means my avr, tv and shield is having this problem and will be present even in perfect power supply. I grounded only my Denon avr by connecting a wire to avr and earth terminal in a socket. Now this resolves the current leakage issue but not sure if it’s safe to use like this with so many devices in my chain leaking current
Is your avr under warranty? If no, it is a very small minor problem and can be easily fixed, but you will have to open the avr. Let me see if I can get the Denon 4500 service manual.

Is your avr under warranty? If no, it is a very small minor problem and can be easily fixed, but you will have to open the avr
No it is not in warranty. Please suggest what will fix my avr. And what about tv and nvidia shield? Can it be leaking current cause of high N-E voltage ? Or just like my avr it has also gone faulty

Don't worry. It may not be your shield and other things. Is this your model DN-4500?
No it’s the one in the link. C9, shield are leaking current even when they are disconnected from avr. I tested both individually disconnecting everything in my chain. I checked every thing connected individually

ok finally got a EB contact who agreed to check and help me out.
Well EB is a dead end. They completely refuse to check anything since complain is only from one member of the flat. I have never had an experience like this in my life.Speaking with them is just pointless

By current leak do you mean voltage on your AVR body? It could be a reversed neutral in the plug or if two pin plugged in reverse. All your other devices having some sort of SMPS wouldn't mind reversed a.c. input.

Else the N-E voltage added to the phase voltage rather than subtract (vectorially) and fried something inside? Better to check. If you got the circuit please share.

By current leak do you mean voltage on your AVR body? It could be a reversed neutral in the plug or if two pin plugged in reverse. All your other devices having some sort of SMPS wouldn't mind reversed a.c. input.

Else the N-E voltage added to the phase voltage rather than subtract (vectorially) and fried something inside? Better to check. If you got the circuit please share.
Yes and the same for all my equipment’s that work on two pin except for subs and mini dsp. I have earthed my avr to overcome this problem. So my Tv, nvidia shield all get earth since it’s connected to avr and there is no leakage. I don’t have any circuit details for the devices

Dear Fm’s

Neutral to earth reading as per IEEE standard should not exceed 3 volts for homes and 5 for industrial.
@Love4sound can you pls point me to any official site stating this. The BSH guy who visited my place recently to replace a power module pcb of my Bosch washing machine detected 0.8V between N and E. He said the "ideal" N-E voltage should be around or below 0.5V and insisted that I get an electrician to recheck all sockets at home which I thought was ridiculous. I looked at him bemused wondering whether 0.3V would make such an earth-shattering difference.

@Love4sound can you pls point me to any official site stating this. The BSH guy who visited my place recently to replace a power module pcb of my Bosch washing machine detected 0.8V between N and E. He said the "ideal" N-E voltage should be around or below 0.5V and insisted that I get an electrician to recheck all sockets at home which I thought was ridiculous. I looked at him bemused wondering whether 0.3V would make such an earth-shattering difference.
Omg how I will kill for these readings. For me it’s 20-50V and I myself had no failures of PCB for any of my equipment’s. It’s a known fact below 3v for domestic and 5-6V for commercial. You can easily google and get the data but I am not able to find any official site stating this. Don’t worry and there is no need to check any sockets. I will try to find the official statement by IEEE as I clearly remember seeing it somewhere.

We have a good electricity network in Abu Dhabi. A separate transformer for nearly each building and my complex has 6 transformers, a complete earthing done to British standard. Still the N-E voltage is 1-2 V. Have two Bosch / Siemens machines at home a WM and a dishwasher. No pcb conked off all these years.

Have a IFB at my apartment in India. It's pcb conked off and that service guy was trying to con me to get a some kind of device to protect the machine from supply variation that he said was the cause for the fault. It was like 2.5k INR in 2011. I challenged him to prove the supply variation and he couldn't as there is a separate trafo for the building tapped from 11kV. He ran away after doing his job.

We have a good electricity network in Abu Dhabi. A separate transformer for nearly each building and my complex has 6 transformers, a complete earthing done to British standard. Still the N-E voltage is 1-2 V. Have two Bosch / Siemens machines at home a WM and a dishwasher. No pcb conked off all these years.

Have a IFB at my apartment in India. It's pcb conked off and that service guy was trying to con me to get a some kind of device to protect the machine from supply variation that he said was the cause for the fault. It was like 2.5k INR in 2011. I challenged him to prove the supply variation and he couldn't as there is a separate trafo for the building tapped from 11kV. He ran away after doing his job.
Technicians mostly try to put the blame on power supply for any faults

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back