My earthing is screwed

Well finally getting some good response from EB. Today the line engineer and a proper technician visited. They atleast had all the tools,tested and acknowledged the issue. The technician did something in the post and still the N-E voltage is height but when I connected the bulb to N-E in the main lines it didn’t glow.They assured to test and confirm if issue is from their end and service the distribution transformer. Another luck is the line engineer and my downstairs neighbors seemed to be very close friends so chasing them also won’t be difficult. So once all this is cleared again have to check our earthing and all the wirings in our flats to rule out neutral and earth connection swapped at some point. Big task and wil definitely take time.

Last edited:
Well finally getting some good response from EB. Today the line engineer and a proper technician visited. They atleast had all the tools tested and acknowledged the issue. The technician did something in the post and still the N-E voltage is height but when I connected the bulb N-E it didn’t glow.They assured to test and confirm if issue is from their end and service the distribution transformer. Another luck is the line engineer and my downstairs neighbors seemed to be very close friends so chasing them also won’t be difficult. So once all this is cleared again have to check our earthing and all the wirings in our flats to rule out neutral and earth connection swapped at some point. Big task and wil definitely take time.
That's quite a progress!

Well finally getting some good response from EB. Today the line engineer and a proper technician visited. They atleast had all the tools,tested and acknowledged the issue. The technician did something in the post and still the N-E voltage is height but when I connected the bulb to N-E in the main lines it didn’t glow.They assured to test and confirm if issue is from their end and service the distribution transformer. Another luck is the line engineer and my downstairs neighbors seemed to be very close friends so chasing them also won’t be difficult. So once all this is cleared again have to check our earthing and all the wirings in our flats to rule out neutral and earth connection swapped at some point. Big task and wil definitely take time.
Good, but at least tell what made them do what they did? Regd letter, email ... ?

Dam it even with EB engineers genuine efforts we could not find the issue. So let me highlight what all we tried today. My community has multiple apartments. And for 4-5 apartments the 3 phase connection is given from the same distribution line. There is one common distribution transformer. So randomly they checked 2-3 flats and the N-E V was between 1-3V. Checked 4 flats including mine which uses the same transmission line. Two including my flats had the problem and two didn’t. So this rules out issue with distribution transformer and line.So next they completely disconnected the main line and earth in my flats. Then they installed a new neutral wire in the transmission line and checked. Bummer N-E was 30-40V. Now all of us don’t know what to do. Guess I will have to suck it up and use my equipment’s hoping it won’t fail. If the fault is N-E and all my gears in the chain are two pin they might be safe. Sad part is I have purchased a DIY PA that works with three pin which I might have to part with :(

Did the just connect neutral alone from the pole to your distribution board and check the earth? Was the power supply to all the flats switched off? If not, it looks like a leakage in earth line somewhere. At least the two houses which shows higher N-E voltage should be completely switched off. It's possible that leakage is in one or both of the houses.

Is it possible to draw a service line directly from the pole to your home and check? Like it's done to an independent house. If AE is helpful, you can try to do it at least to figure out what is going on. Really strange situation.

Did the just connect neutral alone from the pole to your distribution board and check the earth?
Yes and not connected to the distribution board but the neutral line was open and checked directly. My flats three phase fuse was removed and ground connections where disconnected. The other flat which had issue where not disconnected and the EB engineer ruled it out cause the other two flats connected to the same pole did not have the issue. Even they where shocked and said that only possibility is earthing faults. They said in another free day they will come and see if any tests they can do and sort it out. But I am now feeling hopeless cause no one is interested to get this issue sorted or taking any efforts. So it is very difficult for me as no one takes one complaint serious.

Dam it even with EB engineers genuine efforts we could not find the issue. So let me highlight what all we tried today. My community has multiple apartments. And for 4-5 apartments the 3 phase connection is given from the same distribution line. There is one common distribution transformer. So randomly they checked 2-3 flats and the N-E V was between 1-3V. Checked 4 flats including mine which uses the same transmission line. Two including my flats had the problem and two didn’t. So this rules out issue with distribution transformer and line.So next they completely disconnected the main line and earth in my flats. Then they installed a new neutral wire in the transmission line and checked. Bummer N-E was 30-40V. Now all of us don’t know what to do. Guess I will have to suck it up and use my equipment’s hoping it won’t fail. If the fault is N-E and all my gears in the chain are two pin they might be safe. Sad part is I have purchased a DIY PA that works with three pin which I might have to part with :(
Simplest solution is to use an Isolation Transformer.

Simplest solution is to use an Isolation Transformer.
Yes Kannan and I was also thinking the same and guess some where in the thread I did ask but didn’t get any response. But aren’t they big and noisy to be used in a HT room? Even I was wondering if it will help in this solution as it isolates ground in the secondary winding that is connected to the load.

Yes Kannan and I was also thinking the same and guess some where in the thread I did ask but didn’t get any response. But aren’t they big and noisy to be used in a HT room? Even I was wondering if it will help in this solution as it isolates ground in the secondary winding that is connected to the load.
There is nothing noisy about them. Just ensure the power rating is twice the load factor. There is however no assurance that the hum the amp will go away if that problem lies elsewhere.

There is nothing noisy about them. Just ensure the power rating is twice the load factor. There is however no assurance that the hum the amp will go away if that problem lies elsewhere.
Hahah who said anything about hum? Any models you recommend for HT? or should i buy one for the entire house and place it in the balcony next to the inverter? Are they expensive? I will consider 40-50K for the entire house and 15-20K if only for HT.

IMO most TVs, HT come with 2 pin setup, no need for worry about Earth. Even 4-5 KVA regulators for home don't cost a bomb which do have a bulky X'mer. Isolation one is 1:1 winding and would cost even less. (but please disconnect earthing line altogether, because if your geyser/other equipment use that earth line ... it may create unwanted effects)

I'm asking (not suggesting) - "What will happen if you short neutral and earth at the distribution panel itself"?

I'm asking (not suggesting) - "What will happen if you short neutral and earth at the distribution panel itself"?
I didn’t quite understand your question.
IMO most TVs, HT come with 2 pin setup, no need for worry about Earth. Even 4-5 KVA regulators for home don't cost a bomb which do have a bulky X'mer. Isolation one is 1:1 winding and would cost even less. (but please disconnect earthing line altogether, because if your geyser/other equipment use that earth line ... it may create unwanted effects)
Yes and this issue may not cause damage. For all I know even before I noticed this issue would have been present while I was using my HT. Now my concern is I have ordered a DIY PA which comes with 3pin.

If you short earth and Neutral right at the distribution panel, there will not be any voltage difference between Earth and neutral throughout the house
Ok haven’t tried this. I don’t think this issue is going to be fixed. Had 3 electricians inspect everything and had EB engineers inspect everything. They just couldn’t find the root cause testing every possible way. Only thing we can test now is install new earthing in a different spot and test with N line directly.

Ok haven’t tried this. I don’t think this issue is going to be fixed. Had 3 electricians inspect everything and had EB engineers inspect everything. They just couldn’t find the root cause testing every possible way. Only thing we can test now is install new earthing in a different spot and test with N line directly.
I think proper earthing only the solution to your problem. May be poor neutral earthing at EB distribution transformer and 3 phase unbalanced load on the transformer causing this problem.

If you short earth and Neutral right at the distribution panel, there will not be any voltage difference between Earth and neutral throughout the house
If earthing is poor, if we short earth and neutral, the voltage difference between earth and neutral here 35-40v is enough to give shock when we touches the electrical appliance's body.

If earthing is poor, if we short earth and neutral, the voltage difference between earth and neutral here 35-40v is enough to give shock when we touches the electrical appliance's body.
What if the neutral is poor? I'm not an electrical engineer and am genuinely looking for some light on this. @zero7, Do you have something to talk about this?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back