My Externally Powered, Active Crossover, Stereo Speaker System

Ravindra Desai

Hello,

This speaker system was designed after I understood, from my sessions with HFV members (Thanks!) in Thane and Pune, that I need something special to impress Stereophiles (in addition to my surround sound system that, I claim, solves a ton of real world problems associated with a typical 5.1CH+ set-up).

I have a very flexible, software programmable, Digital Audio Processor (DAP) and a very robust and high quality Audio Power Amplifier. The Sat-Sub speakers that I designed primarily for use with TV for living rooms are very good for stereo also with a fantastic sound stage. But for standalone stereo application, they fall short.

I have heard Bose 901 and I recently heard the Magnepans so I know where the benchmarks are or at least I think so.....anyway...

I challenged myself to design something with no restrictions in mind in terms of cost, size or speaker combination
From tonal quality standpoint, I wanted deep lows that are articulate, yes, even in the low end, solid mid-bass, correct and natural vocals covering both male and female voice and treble that you can fall in love with.
With my electronics I wanted to design a stereo speaker system that would constantly make you want to increase the volume!

I have build a speaker system using Ahuja 12" FR that meets the above requirements but the enclosure size is not something that most will appreciate.
So I had to resort to a sub woofer which can go low in a reasonable compact size enclosure and if possible have an extended frequency response that 'touches' the male vocal voice. Fortunately I struck gold with the iWai, 12" driver. I tried it as a standalone subwoofer, both in sealed and ported enclosure. It was very efficient in the ported one but was capable of quite some magic in a sealed one and so sealed it was.

I have taken an approach to not use passive crossovers and never in the vocal range. So I looked for options in full range that could go with the 12" iWai driver.
Initially I had shortlisted the, recently launched, Pioneer 6", dual cone car speaker but after trying in vain to procure it for a good week, I gave up.
Since the enclosure width was already dictated by the subwoofer, I thought why not use the tried and trusted Ahuja 12" full range.

After doing some basic calculations in Excel, I understood that the Ahuja driver will exhibit a peaking response at lower mid bass if I place it in a compact enclosure. This was taken care by keeping the Ahuja driver outside the peaking area. So the subwoofer was made to extend into 'locatable' requencies but then why should it matter in a floor standing form factor?

With good confidence of the end result, I jumped into it and the result is in the attached pictures.
The enclosure is doubled sealed with no filler and styled to the same 'gothic' look.

I can go on to describe how it sounds but would like to stop but not before saying that I don't feel the need to design anything further in the stereo category.

These speakers are not portable that I can carry easily for an audition. But if you care only for the sound quality without bothering about anything else, then these deserve your ears.

I will be eager know what you think of this effort.
Thanks!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• 2-Way Stereo Speaker System-1.GIF
    2-Way Stereo Speaker System-1.GIF
    101.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 2-Way Stereo Speaker System-2.GIF
    2-Way Stereo Speaker System-2.GIF
    146.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 2-Way Stereo Speaker System-3.GIF
    2-Way Stereo Speaker System-3.GIF
    165 KB · Views: 196
I was there for Ravindra sirs demo of his speakers. The experience is really very nice and felt no fatigue at all.
But somehow feeling that bigger drivers for the speakers will give us more deeper and rich sound. Looking forward for more systems.

Ahuja 12” is infact a great sounding driver. My drivers are still in break-in period but it is showing its potential already. Yes, video would help us to enjoy.

I appreciate your energy to keep improving your design approach and product range too. Well done !

A little video, with these babies in action, would add perspective to your description I believe. Please asap. :)

Yes, video would help us to enjoy.

I tried to capture something with my LX5. But it did a horrible job on the lows. There were no lows at all.
I'll try again with my amazon fire tablet or my daughters Smartphone. As soon as I have something that re-presents it closely, I'll post it.

is there any direct flight from Hyderabad to your house?
I feel like come right now to listen them :D:D

There is a direct Nakoda Travles Sleeper bus from Lakdi Ka Pul. Over night journey. Come over!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Awesome @Ravindra Desai
Why don't you build a 9.2.6 multi-channel PWM amplifier with HDMI inputs and as sexy as Marantz NR series? ;)

Because no one would buy it from me! :p

However, I am happy to inform you that My Digital Audio Processor will have HDMI ARC interface, hopefully by this month end.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Because no one would buy it from me! :p

If you will build one, am ready to ditch my 5.2.2 AVR :)..

However, I am happy to inform you that My Digital Audio Processor will have HDMI ARC interface, hopefully by this month end.

Excellent.. Great news.. Would that support multi-channel decoding?..

Wow! You are persistent and you move fast. Yes, a video would be awesome. I think one more trip to Thane would be amazing.Congrats on a this build. I am sure the weak point in your smaller configuration has be upgraded.

If you will build one, am ready to ditch my 5.2.2 AVR :)..

Excellent.. Great news.. Would that support multi-channel decoding?..

I have not built any PWM amps but would love to work on one very large power amp when time permits. I have a unique modulation scheme in mind. Let's see.....

The HDMI ARC interface will be to carry volume controlled audio from source to my Audio Receiver.
With the market flooded with 5.1+ CH configuration products, I cannot see myself, both, competing and adding value with a similar product.
So even with HDMI ARC, it will be 2.1CH Surround.
I believe that once you hear it, you will think differently, especially since you already have exposure to an AVR.

Wow! You are persistent and you move fast. Yes, a video would be awesome. I think one more trip to Thane would be amazing.Congrats on a this build. I am sure the weak point in your smaller configuration has be upgraded.

Keep pushing me, ok?

What active features does the DSP have?

By 'Active features' do you mean what role is it playing in this application or its overall capabilities?
The DSP is almost the same as miniDSP but I have designed it to my needs.

In this project, it uses Linkwitz- Riley crossover to send the required frequency bands to the respective drivers.
It also uses a very steep subsonic filter to get rid of unwanted signals near DC.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Let me not detract the thread.. But just to add..

With the market flooded with 5.1+ CH configuration products, I cannot see myself, both, competing and adding value with a similar product.

Price.. That is where you can beat them.. Today, a feature rich 5.2.2 capable AVR is 100K in India.. Imagine a 9.2.6 capable AVR for 50K :cool:..

I am one of those who prefer a well calibrated 2.1 than a full fledged 5.2.2 or even 9.2. Hence 2-3 channels of my AVR are idle 90% of the time. I like 2.1 for music with an addition of center channel for movies.

Dear Mr Ravindra,
You must have guessed my apathy to comment on your surround system though ,I liked it very much.This is because I am content with what I have for time being.
But "STEREO" is something different.Each component gives a different flavor to the sound.A Stereo Lover can enjoy different speakers with different sources and amplifiers and hence I am here.
I loves the sound signature of your 2.1 system while I auditioned it.I am now interested in listening to these speakers as well.
I am also interested in experimenting your amplifier with Cadence Arista.
I hope it will be soon....
Hats off to your persistence.
drkhanwelkar

@Ravindra Desai Whether your 5.1 amp able to deliver true surround sound as AVR. If yes it will be a game changer for 2.1 and 5.1 in one system.

If @sadik ,@viren bakhshi ,@Ravindra Desai , @Hari Iyer and other DIYers of HFV could team up for a tube based AVR and Speakers ; it'll be game changer for entire Indian hifi community...

@Ravindra Desai how does the Ahuja SK12 Frz compare with Iwai drivers? They look quite huge, something like Sony GR series or Tannoy Westminster etc...
Need to visit kolhapur soon i think.

how does the Ahuja SK12 Frz compare with Iwai drivers?
Its not a fair comparison. The Ahuja is a 12" fullrange, it maintains narrow directivity till about 1000 kHz. A smaller driver cant provide the narrow directivity. Narrow directivity provides greater intellegibility. Its a bonus that it can do highs also well.
For this reason alone it should not be compared to a smaller fullrange.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back