My Externally Powered, Active Crossover, Stereo Speaker System

I have 8 channels of tube and all the drivers in place but need a DSP for processing and a good sized place to sing a 5.2 OB

Dayton Audio has launched a 8-channel DSP which is worth looking at as the price is very attractive.

I have not built any PWM amps but would love to work on one very large power amp when time permits. I have a unique modulation scheme in mind. Let's see.....

The HDMI ARC interface will be to carry volume controlled audio from source to my Audio Receiver.
With the market flooded with 5.1+ CH configuration products, I cannot see myself, both, competing and adding value with a similar product.
So even with HDMI ARC, it will be 2.1CH Surround.
I believe that once you hear it, you will think differently, especially since you already have exposure to an AVR.

Keep pushing me, ok?

By 'Active features' do you mean what role is it playing in this application or its overall capabilities?
The DSP is almost the same as miniDSP but I have designed it to my needs.

In this project, it uses Linkwitz- Riley crossover to send the required frequency bands to the respective drivers.
It also uses a very steep subsonic filter to get rid of unwanted signals near DC.

Regards,

Ravindra.
So you are employing a 24db slope on the subs then?

@Ravindra Desai Whether your 5.1 amp able to deliver true surround sound as AVR. If yes it will be a game changer for 2.1 and 5.1 in one system.

My System operates alternately in Stereo and Surround.
In Surround mode, only the C, S and SW are working. L and R are always mute.
In Stereo mode, only the L, R and SW are working. C and S are always mute.
So, its always 2.1CH with all the advantages as mentioned before.
To calrify it further, kindly see the attached picture.
I hope thaat this helps.

Dear Mr Ravindra,
You must have guessed my apathy to comment on your surround system though ,I liked it very much.This is because I am content with what I have for time being.
But "STEREO" is something different.Each component gives a different flavor to the sound.A Stereo Lover can enjoy different speakers with different sources and amplifiers and hence I am here.
I loves the sound signature of your 2.1 system while I auditioned it.I am now interested in listening to these speakers as well.
I am also interested in experimenting your amplifier with Cadence Arista.
I hope it will be soon....
Hats off to your persistence.
drkhanwelkar

Dr. saheb,

When a person like you who is so deep into Vinyls says he likes the sound signature of my system, it means a huge lot to me.
Thanks!!

We are fortunate to have each other locally. Let's make the best out of it! I assure you something novel and out of this world, every time.
I recall we having a discussion about the Arista. Let's try it with my amp (and my DSP). Let's check if you still feel the need for an external sub.

If @sadik ,@viren bakhshi ,@Ravindra Desai , @Hari Iyer and other DIYers of HFV could team up for a tube based AVR and Speakers ; it'll be game changer for entire Indian hifi community...

Why do you want a tube based AVR when I can give you tube signature with semiconductor amp and full range speakers?

@Ravindra Desai how does the Ahuja SK12 Frz compare with Iwai drivers? They look quite huge, something like Sony GR series or Tannoy Westminster etc...
Need to visit kolhapur soon i think.

Its like this:
If I make you hear the iWai speaker system first, you will like it.
Then if I will make you hear the 12"/ 2-way system, you will like it much better.

If I reverse the order of playback, you will not like the iWai.

I have 8 channels of tube and all the drivers in place but need a DSP for processing and a good sized place to sing a 5.2 OB

I have an 8IN/ 8OUT version of my DSP

So you are employing a 24db slope on the subs then?

48db for the HPF of SW (This the the subsonic filter where the SW takes off)
24db for the LPF of SW (This is where the SW response fall off)
24db for the HPF of FR (This is where the FR response takes off)

I strongly suggest that you all read my post here to best understand use of fullrange speakers and let me know if you have any doubts:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...ing-of-full-range-speakers.69961/#post-770374

Regards,

Ravindra..

P.S. Added the attachment

Attachments

• Stereo Surround Modes.GIF
    Stereo Surround Modes.GIF
    238.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
48db for the HPF of SW (This the the subsonic filter where the SW takes off)
24db for the LPF of SW (This is where the SW response fall off)
24db for the HPF of FR (This is where the FR response takes off)
I strongly suggest that you all read my post here to best understand use of fullrange speakers and let me know if you have any doubts:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...ing-of-full-range-speakers.69961/#post-770374
Regards,
Ravindra..

I understood you have band passed the sub. It is usually safe to give a roll off from around 30hz to safeguard the sub which is termed as subsonic. Most well build car audio mono blocks use a subsonic filter.
Will go through the thread.

Was interested as it is rare to see homebrew active setups. Kudos on your achievement, especially when the DSP itself is designed by you.

I run a 4-way active setup in my car and had a 3-way active one at home.

My next planned project is again a 6-way active one for home with air motion tweeters, 4 inch full range, and either a 7 inch or 10 inch midbass and an active sub. Essentially it will be two 3-way front speakers, one sub and two full range rear speakers all running active. The rears will be either 4 inch or 6 inch point source drivers.
I have a 6-way Alpine analogue DSP and will mostly use ALLO amplifier boards to keep the cost low and to fit the boards into the speaker enclosure.

This is the Alpine DSP I will be using whenever I take this route. Image sourced from the net. Mine is stored safely in a box.

alpine 3672.JPG

is there any direct flight from Hyderabad to your house?
I feel like come right now to listen them :D:D
There are sizeable number of members in Hyderabad: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/forum-members-from-hyderabad-say-hello-here.70556/

And mind you, these are the neo-members. In addition, there are a dozen odd old members too. May be Mr. Desai would come over and let us all sample his inventions! We can even invite a couple of other dealers too and have a day-long meet up.

There are sizeable number of members in Hyderabad: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/forum-members-from-hyderabad-say-hello-here.70556/

And mind you, these are the neo-members. In addition, there are a dozen odd old members too. May be Mr. Desai would come over and let us all sample his inventions! We can even invite a couple of other dealers too and have a day-long meet up.

Sure you'll don't want to come over?
I can accommodate a small to medium size group.
With these new speakers strain on the back and logistics change a lot.

But I can come over if one of you can take lead and play host.

I can meet my colleagues from GE and collect my drivers license from Khairatabad RTA.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Sure you'll don't want to come over?
I can accommodate a small to medium size group.
With these new speakers strain on the back and logistics change a lot.

But I can come over if one of you can take lead and play host.

I can meet my colleagues from GE and collect my drivers license from Khairatabad RTA.

Regards,

Ravindra.
It's much more easier for one person to travel than a group travelling together. And you can collect your driving licence too. ;)

I am one of those who prefer a well calibrated 2.1 than a full fledged 5.2.2 or even 9.2. Hence 2-3 channels of my AVR are idle 90% of the time. I like 2.1 for music with an addition of center channel for movies.

If a 2.1 set-up is well calibrated, then the rest of the speakers would only enhance the whole movie experience IMO..

If a 2.1 set-up is well calibrated, then the rest of the speakers would only enhance the whole movie experience IMO..
True in the case of a well acoustically treated theater room but not really the case for many of us who uses the living room for the purpose. Just my experience, experts can have a different opinions.

Hello all,

I built a bookshelf version of externally powered, active crossover stereo speaker system.
The obvious feature is compact size and cost.

It uses the now trusted 3" fullrange and 8" woofer but this time packages as a book-shelf speaker.

How does it sound?
In one word: Fantastic!!
The stereo imaging is as good as its big brother. The tonal quality is very nice to the extent that it will surprise you from low to mid to high end.
Where they fall short is in power handling (though it is much more than required for home listening) and the extreme low end where the 12" subwoofer trumps in depth and details. But this was expected, anyway.

If I do not compare it one to one, both of them have turned out to be very very good.
But when you do compare them, its the smaller one that surprises you with what its capable of.

I hope you like then too!

Regards,

Ravindra.

P.S. This is a prototype built I just built from some left over pieces of wood and laminate while maintaining the signature Gothic look.

Attachments

• 1.GIF
    1.GIF
    98.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.GIF
    2.GIF
    83.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back