My first 5.1.2 Atmos Setup - Some questions

Hey Guys

I am looking to put together a semi-decent atmos setup in my new apartment (in Bangalore) in the next few months. This will be clubbed with an OLED TV (55" or 65), a FireTV stick for streaming (I might upgrade to a AppleTV 4K later) and will also support a PS5 for gaming.

The room
  • The room is just <2ft (12ft x 16ft) with 10-11ft of viewing distance
  • It's a fairly symmetrical shape, although with a french window and no-wall on the left and right, which makes adding dedicated surrounds in a 7.1.x setup difficult/meaningless
  • Since the interiors are yet to be done, cable concealing and speaker placement can be handled right away
Usage
  1. Primary will be Streaming across Prime Video, Netflix, Hotstar etc.
  2. Would like to start dedicated 4K BluRay movie viewing
  3. Gaming via the PS5
  4. Occasional music
Current Shortlist
  • Main 5.1 Speakers- Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 HT Package
    • Will be able to source this for ~₹36k from UK (post the pandemic travel restrictions etc get relaxed)
  • AVR- Denon AVR-X2700H
    • Getting it for <70k currently locally with warranty
  • Atmos Ceiling Speakers- Polk Audio RC60i pair or the Q-Acoustics Q165C pair
    • Getting a pretty good deal on both (priced similar/lower than UK/US) with the Q165C around 2k more expensive than the RC60i
The above (plus the accessories like wiring/plugs etc) should keep my budget well south of ₹1.5L, which is my cap.

Questions
  1. The fundamental question - Does the overall setup look good? Any advice on changes here? Will the wharfedales work well with the rest?
  2. Is there any sense in waiting further to buy the AVR? I did read in many posts in the forum that the prices right now are exorbitant for AVRs, and are expected to drop a few months later. Did not find a reference for the lower price though. If it would be a matter of 2-3k only, I might as well buy it now to ensure my interiors and cable planning is accurate
  3. Which one would be better between the RC60i v/s the Q165C? The price difference is just 2k, though I have not been able to find any good comparisons. Since COVID and lockdowns restrict the option to audition, wanted some advice here
  4. I was planning to get 14-Gauge wiring for the entire setup. Is this overkill for such a small room?
  5. Would a 65" TV be overkill in this setup? The cost difference is significant, but I have received mixed inputs around 65" being better for the big-cinema-viewing experience
Thanks in advance!

Questions
  1. The fundamental question - Does the overall setup look good? Any advice on changes here? Will the wharfedales work well with the rest?
  2. Is there any sense in waiting further to buy the AVR? I did read in many posts in the forum that the prices right now are exorbitant for AVRs, and are expected to drop a few months later. Did not find a reference for the lower price though. If it would be a matter of 2-3k only, I might as well buy it now to ensure my interiors and cable planning is accurate
  3. Which one would be better between the RC60i v/s the Q165C? The price difference is just 2k, though I have not been able to find any good comparisons. Since COVID and lockdowns restrict the option to audition, wanted some advice here
  4. I was planning to get 14-Gauge wiring for the entire setup. Is this overkill for such a small room?
  5. Would a 65" TV be overkill in this setup? The cost difference is significant, but I have received mixed inputs around 65" being better for the big-cinema-viewing experience
Thanks in advance!
  1. Wharfedale DX-2 is a pretty good speaker package, has plenty of details and dynamics.
  2. It's worth waiting for a few months for AVR, prices are high by 30/40%.
  3. For ATMOS speakers, either will work.
  4. Wire gauge depends on the distance of the speakers, there is an online guide available to select the proper gauge.
  5. Big is always better especially when the viewing distance is more.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.
  1. Wharfedale DX-2 is a pretty good speaker package, has plenty of details and dynamics.
  2. It's worth waiting for a few months for AVR, prices are high by 30/40%.
  3. For ATMOS speakers, either will work.
  4. Wire gauge depends on the distance of the speakers, there is an online guide available to select the proper gauge.
  5. Big is always better especially when the viewing distance is more.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

I am also contemplating increasing my budget (as usual my tech spending greediness is taking over) and stretching (a lot) for the Q-Acoustics 3050i plus package (3050i towers, 3020i sorrounds, 3090i center, 3060S sub) - this will cost me around ₹1.2L. Advantage (apart from the bigger/better? speakers) is locally sourced = warranty. I am trying to convince myself that this is a long term (at least 5-10yr) investment and I might as well splurge a bit.......

Will wait for the AVR for sure. Though does this mean that I can expect to get my hands on a 2700H for ~₹50k? My current quote is ₹65k (I may be able to get another ₹1-2k off if I bundle the entire setup with the dealer). Average quotes seem to be in the 75-80k range.

I am also contemplating increasing my budget (as usual my tech spending greediness is taking over) and stretching (a lot) for the Q-Acoustics 3050i plus package (3050i towers, 3020i sorrounds, 3090i center, 3060S sub) - this will cost me around ₹1.2L. Advantage (apart from the bigger/better? speakers) is locally sourced = warranty. I am trying to convince myself that this is a long term (at least 5-10yr) investment and I might as well splurge a bit.......
Substitute the 3060S for QB12 and you'll be golden. 3060S is feeble at best.

Will get a quotation with the QB12

Another dealer reached out today, offering the Monitor setup (Bronze 6 Towers, Bronze Center, Bronze 2 rear/sorrounds, MRW10) for ~5-8% more than the QA system. Are these worth considering? Couldn't find a clean winner based on my search, and the Bronze 6 seems to be EOL models. (I also like the QA aesthetically more pleasing)

What would be a good price for the AVR-X2700H - Cheapest I have managed across multiple dealer/distributor conversations is ₹64,000.

Will get a quotation with the QB12

Another dealer reached out today, offering the Monitor setup (Bronze 6 Towers, Bronze Center, Bronze 2 rear/sorrounds, MRW10) for ~5-8% more than the QA system. Are these worth considering? Couldn't find a clean winner based on my search, and the Bronze 6 seems to be EOL models. (I also like the QA aesthetically more pleasing)
Different strokes for different folks indeed. I haven't seen the bronze 6s in the flesh but based on pics alone, I've always found the simple monitor audio look with their classic driver design to look really nice and i much prefer it to the 3050i which I've experienced in person, not that i liked it's looks in pics either to begin with. Now the QA concept series is a different animal and though it follows the same general design philosophy, simply gorgeous.

Dunno about the MRW10 but the QB12 is one fantastic sub and generally speaking, should be significantly more powerful than the MRW10, both due to Amplifier output as well as driver size (remember, a 12inch driver in 100 watt sub will provide greater output than a 10 inch driver in a 100 watt sub).
What would be a good price for the AVR-X2700H - Cheapest I have managed across multiple dealer/distributor conversations is ₹64,000.

I have more or less finalised this setup now:
  • Main 5.1 Speakers- Q-Acoustics 3050i Fronts, 3090Ci Centre, 3020i Rear/Surrounds, QB12 Subwoofer
  • AVR- Denon AVR-X2700H
  • Atmos Ceiling Speakers- Q-Acoustics Q165C pair
Price should be around 2.1-2.2L (still negotiating the final cost, with the AVR costing around 63-64k, and the balance for the speakers. Wiring/cables/connectors etc would be extra I guess)

Does the pricing look OK?

Also, I have a bit of a positioning problem. I have limited depth in the front area with the TV and the front speakers, and placing the Subwoofer is looking a bit problematic. Is it ok to place it in the rear (next to my seating position)? What should I look out for when doing this?

That is a very good pricing according to me.
Perfect speaker package, something even I was tempted to change with the exact speakers.
Go for decent OFC cables.

Posting pictures might help in the understanding the layout problem.

Thanks!

Living Room Layout

The idea was to have the Subwoofer on the left(?) of the TV near the window as there is little space on the right(?) side to accomodate both the speaker and the SW unless we make the TV/Unit off-center from the layout. But unfortunately, the wall connecting to the window is barely 10" (and the SW is 17.5" plus some buffer needed behind it). This means the woofer (and the platform below it will protrude out by 6-8")

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 11.47.59 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 11.46.09 AM.png
(P.S the interior work is yet to start, so these are renders only, and some adjustments need to be done to the platform to the left of the TV if I decide to put in the SW there with the speaker)

The suggested placement from the interior designer here was to the rear wall next to the sofa (shown below) though I have read that this is sub-optimal, especially if the SW is positioned very close to the viewing/seating area.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 11.46.23 AM.png

I have more or less finalised this setup now:
  • Main 5.1 Speakers- Q-Acoustics 3050i Fronts, 3090Ci Centre, 3020i Rear/Surrounds, QB12 Subwoofer
  • AVR- Denon AVR-X2700H
  • Atmos Ceiling Speakers- Q-Acoustics Q165C pair
Price should be around 2.1-2.2L (still negotiating the final cost, with the AVR costing around 63-64k, and the balance for the speakers. Wiring/cables/connectors etc would be extra I guess)

Does the pricing look OK?

Also, I have a bit of a positioning problem. I have limited depth in the front area with the TV and the front speakers, and placing the Subwoofer is looking a bit problematic. Is it ok to place it in the rear (next to my seating position)? What should I look out for when doing this?

Individually bought the prices were as follows about 6-7 months back , not sure if it has changed now. QA 3050i (57-58k) , 3090Ci(15-16k) , 3020i(23-24k) and QB12 (42-45k, although have heard of FMs getting it for as low as 39k) in Bangalore.

Also am not sure if you managed to audition additional speakers or not , if not would recommend to wait for lockdown to open and then audition before deciding , the QA series are fantastic no doubt for movies but you have equally good alternatives. If you are not fixated on floorstanders , using bookshelfs will yield better buys from imported brands
i) Monitor Audio Package you were talking about should do well for movies , a FM has gone for MA In-Walls and rates them very highly for movies
ii) XTZ Spirit Series - Their floor standers will exceed your budget by a good amount, you could go for their bookshelf's alternatively. These also do exceedingly well for movies and are worth an audition.
iii) Indiq Platinum Series - Their Custom LCR / Floorstanders of Platinum series are being used by a lot of forum members. These also do amazingly well for movies.

The 3050i are very good entry level floorstanders, however XTZ Spirit and IndiQ are easily steps above the 3050i in terms of vocal clarity and the upper register. You can still stick to the QB12 as subwoofer. All of these and additional brands can be auditioned in Bangalore

Regarding subwoofer positioning, subwoofers respond differently at various positions depending on your room. I have tried keeping subwoofer right behind the position I sit and it worked really well for me, you will only be able to tell once you try it out. But fundamentally there should be no issues keeping the subwoofer behind/besides your Sofa

Thanks
Individually bought the prices were as follows about 6-7 months back , not sure if it has changed now. QA 3050i (57-58k) , 3090Ci(15-16k) , 3020i(23-24k) and QB12 (42-45k, although have heard of FMs getting it for as low as 39k) in Bangalore.

Thanks. Pricing seems to be in line with what you have mentioned.

Also am not sure if you managed to audition additional speakers or not , if not would recommend to wait for lockdown to open and then audition before deciding , the QA series are fantastic no doubt for movies but you have equally good alternatives. If you are not fixated on floorstanders , using bookshelfs will yield better buys from imported brands
i) Monitor Audio Package you were talking about should do well for movies , a FM has gone for MA In-Walls and rates them very highly for movies
ii) XTZ Spirit Series - Their floor standers will exceed your budget by a good amount, you could go for their bookshelf's alternatively. These also do exceedingly well for movies and are worth an audition.
iii) Indiq Platinum Series - Their Custom LCR / Floorstanders of Platinum series are being used by a lot of forum members. These also do amazingly well for movies.

The 3050i are very good entry level floorstanders, however XTZ Spirit and IndiQ are easily steps above the 3050i in terms of vocal clarity and the upper register. You can still stick to the QB12 as subwoofer. All of these and additional brands can be auditioned in Bangalore

Haven't auditioned yet, and will likely avoid it for another month post lockdown lifts. But will definitely give the brands/models you mentioned a try.

Regarding subwoofer positioning, subwoofers respond differently at various positions depending on your room. I have tried keeping subwoofer right behind the position I sit and it worked really well for me, you will only be able to tell once you try it out. But fundamentally there should be no issues keeping the subwoofer behind/besides your Sofa

I have been told something similar with the dealers I have been speaking to. One suggested that I provision for both front and rear (so the cable concealing etc is done along with the interiors), and then experiment with both positions to find the best fit. I will likely go down this route.

Thanks

Thanks. Pricing seems to be in line with what you have mentioned.

Haven't auditioned yet, and will likely avoid it for another month post lockdown lifts. But will definitely give the brands/models you mentioned a try.

I have been told something similar with the dealers I have been speaking to. One suggested that I provision for both front and rear (so the cable concealing etc is done along with the interiors), and then experiment with both positions to find the best fit. I will likely go down this route.

If you are concealing the wires then thats a very good suggestion. Ideal way to place a subwoofer is to use something called as subwoofer crawl, if you have a limited number of positions (in your case back left/right and maybe behind the sofa too) , you can place the subwoofer and play some content and see where it sounds best.

Are you sure you want to stick to AVR or go for a pre-power setup to get movie theatre like experience for a little extra budget. PM me. I am from Bangalore too

Are you sure you want to stick to AVR or go for a pre-power setup to get movie theatre like experience for a little extra budget. PM me. I am from Bangalore too
Not sure about this, haven't run into details about this kind of a setup yet in my research. Any place I can read up on pre-power setups?

May be you can try Indiqaudio HT Setup which has great reviews in the forum itself and a groupbuy for same is also taking place https://www.hifivision.com/threads/indiqaudio-group-buy-2.84783,
Infact you can take a demo for the same as you are based in Bangalore, I am sure it will provide more bang for the buck.

Will definitely look out for Indiq. It does seem that I will have to stretch my budget by 20-30k for this (considering the max group buy discount). Will Demo next month post the situation settles down a bit more.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back