My first 5.1.2 Atmos Setup - Some questions

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

I am also contemplating increasing my budget (as usual my tech spending greediness is taking over) and stretching (a lot) for the Q-Acoustics 3050i plus package (3050i towers, 3020i sorrounds, 3090i center, 3060S sub) - this will cost me around ₹1.2L. Advantage (apart from the bigger/better? speakers) is locally sourced = warranty. I am trying to convince myself that this is a long term (at least 5-10yr) investment and I might as well splurge a bit.......

Will wait for the AVR for sure. Though does this mean that I can expect to get my hands on a 2700H for ~₹50k? My current quote is ₹65k (I may be able to get another ₹1-2k off if I bundle the entire setup with the dealer). Average quotes seem to be in the 75-80k range.
Do you mind letting me know where you getting the Denon 2700H from. That price is unbeatable.

I am planning to buy x2700h as well from Delhi. Can anyone help with this kind of price?
Dealers are writing me 75k

Got the quote from Home Theater Experts. He is the official regional partner for north (delhi ncr), sitting out of rohtak.

you can talk to - nishant (owner. - 8398887775).
I finally managed 64k + transportation to bengaluru. Though this is when i am buying ~2l worth of speakers and locked in the price 2-3m ago with some advance. Prices might have gone up a bit.

i just got the speakers and avr yesterday, though yet to be installed (interiors still going on). Will post pics soon.

Hey Guys

I am looking to put together a semi-decent atmos setup in my new apartment (in Bangalore) in the next few months. This will be clubbed with an OLED TV (55" or 65), a FireTV stick for streaming (I might upgrade to a AppleTV 4K later) and will also support a PS5 for gaming.

The room
  • The room is just <2ft (12ft x 16ft) with 10-11ft of viewing distance
  • It's a fairly symmetrical shape, although with a french window and no-wall on the left and right, which makes adding dedicated surrounds in a 7.1.x setup difficult/meaningless
  • Since the interiors are yet to be done, cable concealing and speaker placement can be handled right away
Usage
  1. Primary will be Streaming across Prime Video, Netflix, Hotstar etc.
  2. Would like to start dedicated 4K BluRay movie viewing
  3. Gaming via the PS5
  4. Occasional music
Current Shortlist
  • Main 5.1 Speakers- Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 HT Package
    • Will be able to source this for ~₹36k from UK (post the pandemic travel restrictions etc get relaxed)
  • AVR- Denon AVR-X2700H
    • Getting it for <70k currently locally with warranty
  • Atmos Ceiling Speakers- Polk Audio RC60i pair or the Q-Acoustics Q165C pair
    • Getting a pretty good deal on both (priced similar/lower than UK/US) with the Q165C around 2k more expensive than the RC60i
The above (plus the accessories like wiring/plugs etc) should keep my budget well south of ₹1.5L, which is my cap.

Questions
  1. The fundamental question - Does the overall setup look good? Any advice on changes here? Will the wharfedales work well with the rest?
  2. Is there any sense in waiting further to buy the AVR? I did read in many posts in the forum that the prices right now are exorbitant for AVRs, and are expected to drop a few months later. Did not find a reference for the lower price though. If it would be a matter of 2-3k only, I might as well buy it now to ensure my interiors and cable planning is accurate
  3. Which one would be better between the RC60i v/s the Q165C? The price difference is just 2k, though I have not been able to find any good comparisons. Since COVID and lockdowns restrict the option to audition, wanted some advice here
  4. I was planning to get 14-Gauge wiring for the entire setup. Is this overkill for such a small room?
  5. Would a 65" TV be overkill in this setup? The cost difference is significant, but I have received mixed inputs around 65" being better for the big-cinema-viewing experience
Thanks in advance!
That's such a well-thought out set-up.
Am also in around the same stage as you on a similar process, so to answer your questions:
1. Tasty! I have read up so much, listened to a few, and juggled so many permutations. I think you have nailed it in terms for best bang-for-budget.
2. The best I price I could see for the X2700 is 65K. There are two views about AVR pricing, which I have seen on this forum. The first is correct, and having followed the trends for a few months in this lockdown, I can ascertain it is factual - AVR prices are at some serious mark-up these days. The second view, which is also something I read in this same forum, is -- citing trade sources -- that the prices are going to go up further north. You should be able to find that poster if you search in one of the denon or AVR forums or even with a simple search of keywords -- 2700 3700 trader/retailer. Now, I still haven't seen prices move up in any of the online sites I keep checking ever so often. Just in case it is true, it is totally up to your judgment.
3. I personally haven't still made up my mind on this for my set up, but the Polks are definitely one of the options. So, can't comment further.
4. Here again, it is only theoretical knowledge, but this is also where things start getting really, really interesting - I am firmly in the '14-gauge is the safest bet' for any room side of this debate . In the sense that, you can't go wrong. (Attaching something I was reading last night. Please go through that.) The line I took away from the attachment is that cables sure won't boost performance, but they definitely can kill performance. For my setup, I would go for Mediabridge most likely. Many FMs here say the finolex ones are damn good also. Since you are in Bangalore, you should have a lot of options. My suggestion would be to stick to a good, reliable 14-gauge.
5. This question, I am extremely well equipped to answer. :)
I have just come back after watching 55in from about 7 feet-ish, and it was truly so-so. The 65-inch Oled, however, was much better from 7-8 feet-ish. I came back from the showroom wishing I could afford a good 75-in Oled for my viewing distance (around 7-8 feet) :D
So, again, since you live in Bangalore -- and I envy you for this -- and have a room that is 16 feet long with a viewing distance of 11-ft, you should easily be able to wrangle an Epson TW9400+100-inch screen for the price of a good 65-inch TV.

Trust this was helpful and wishing you all the best on your HT journey. Enjoy the process. Have fun.

Attachments

• Cables 3.png
    Cables 3.png
    391.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Cables 2.png
    Cables 2.png
    344.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Cables 1.png
    Cables 1.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hey guys, bumping this up after a while as I am about to setup the speakers now and wanted some advice on the wiring and testing.
  1. Wanted to know if it is ok to pair the Belden 8477's individual cables like this with the speakers (as long as it is consistent across speakers and the receiver):
    • [Belden] to [Speaker]
    • Black to Black
    • White to Red
  2. Also can you share any tips (and what to look out for) for:
    • bare wire termination on the speaker side
    • using banana plugs with 8477 on the receiver end
    • the RCA terminations (Neutrik Rean) for the sub with the belden 1694
  3. How should I go about testing the setup for whether the connections are solid?

Hey guys, bumping this up after a while as I am about to setup the speakers now and wanted some advice on the wiring and testing.
  1. Wanted to know if it is ok to pair the Belden 8477's individual cables like this with the speakers (as long as it is consistent across speakers and the receiver):
    • [Belden] to [Speaker]
    • Black to Black
    • White to Red
  2. Also can you share any tips (and what to look out for) for:
    • bare wire termination on the speaker side
    • using banana plugs with 8477 on the receiver end
    • the RCA terminations (Neutrik Rean) for the sub with the belden 1694
  3. How should I go about testing the setup for whether the connections are solid?
Use Amazonbasics banana plugs.
The cable colour coding is right you can proceed with it.
After full setup you can run the test tone from avr to check the speakers. If there is any short circuit in speaker cables the AVR will go into protect mode.

I did manage to get my setup up over the weekend with the new TV as well. Still figuring out some of the settings for quality of life improvements around Source switching etc., but overall really happy. (posting a not-so-great pic after a long marathon of getting things up and running)

A big thanks to everyone in this thread (and outside) for their help.

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 2.31.35 AM.jpeg

I did manage to get my setup up over the weekend with the new TV as well. Still figuring out some of the settings for quality of life improvements around Source switching etc., but overall really happy. (posting a not-so-great pic after a long marathon of getting things up and running)

View attachment 63210
So you did get the QB12! :)

Did you get a chance to check it against the 3060s and the Monitor Audio sub or for that matter, any other sub?

Awesome, I have identical setup except for the AVR being x3700.

Few things on improving things, bring out all 3 speakers in line with the cabinet specially the center.
3050i's need slight room to breath, so bringing out and aligning all speakers in line will yield better results.
Keep a small rubber mat or some sort beneath the center so it fires at you, right now I suppose it is firing the chest.

Get the audyssey app to calibrate the system, it is worth the investment.

Enjoy them now :cool:

So you did get the QB12! :)

Did you get a chance to check it against the 3060s and the Monitor Audio sub or for that matter, any other sub?
Nope, did not get the time to audition at all (and was actively avoiding it post COVID wave 2). Went with the wisdom of this group with a final veto from my wife based on her aesthetic preference :)

Awesome, I have identical setup except for the AVR being x3700.

Few things on improving things, bring out all 3 speakers in line with the cabinet specially the center.
3050i's need slight room to breath, so bringing out and aligning all speakers in line will yield better results.
Keep a small rubber mat or some sort beneath the center so it fires at you, right now I suppose it is firing the chest.

Get the audyssey app to calibrate the system, it is worth the investment.

Enjoy them now :cool:

Thanks for the tips. Moving the center ahead is a bit difficult, as the electrician did not leave enough cable (I was just able to place it where it is without impacting the TV's mounting angle and flushness significantly. I will definitely add a small silicone caster beneath the center to angle it towards the sitting ear position.

On the Audyssey App - will do. Thanks again!

Just a question, does the 2700H provide enough power to the whole setup? I mean it provides only 95W for 2 channels driven and you have the 3050i's and an additional 4 speakers to power.
I am looking at the same setup but with the 3030i's as I was told the AVR won't be able to drive everything properly.

Just a question, does the 2700H provide enough power to the whole setup? I mean it provides only 95W for 2 channels driven and you have the 3050i's and an additional 4 speakers to power.
I am looking at the same setup but with the 3030i's as I was told the AVR won't be able to drive everything properly.

I haven't seen any issues (though I am not sure how they would manifest). Any idea what I should be looking out for to identify the problems?

I haven't seen any issues (though I am not sure how they would manifest). Any idea what I should be looking out for to identify the problems?
Wishing you the best, Dullblade. Sharing this here cos you asked for it :D

It is very revealing, though I guess the room in question could be a bit bigger than yours or mine.

@falkirk If we can't figure at the very beginning if 95W/channel with 2-channel driven at .8 THD is good for us, it is best to go with something with pre-outs.
The only drawback in the 2700 is that once we buy one, there is nothing we can do about adding power.
I have listened to a pair of Klipsches driven by a Denon X1400, and they sounded pretty fine, but it was only two channels - the RP-5000Fs. Was very happy.
I later listened to a pair of Dalis driven by an equivalent Marantz (same year), and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

(Am also on the same boat, a couple nautical miles behind you all)

Hey Guys

I am looking to put together a semi-decent atmos setup in my new apartment (in Bangalore) in the next few months. This will be clubbed with an OLED TV (55" or 65), a FireTV stick for streaming (I might upgrade to a AppleTV 4K later) and will also support a PS5 for gaming.

The room
  • The room is just <2ft (12ft x 16ft) with 10-11ft of viewing distance
  • It's a fairly symmetrical shape, although with a french window and no-wall on the left and right, which makes adding dedicated surrounds in a 7.1.x setup difficult/meaningless
  • Since the interiors are yet to be done, cable concealing and speaker placement can be handled right away
Usage
  1. Primary will be Streaming across Prime Video, Netflix, Hotstar etc.
  2. Would like to start dedicated 4K BluRay movie viewing
  3. Gaming via the PS5
  4. Occasional music
Current Shortlist
  • Main 5.1 Speakers- Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 HT Package
    • Will be able to source this for ~₹36k from UK (post the pandemic travel restrictions etc get relaxed)
  • AVR- Denon AVR-X2700H
    • Getting it for <70k currently locally with warranty
  • Atmos Ceiling Speakers- Polk Audio RC60i pair or the Q-Acoustics Q165C pair
    • Getting a pretty good deal on both (priced similar/lower than UK/US) with the Q165C around 2k more expensive than the RC60i
The above (plus the accessories like wiring/plugs etc) should keep my budget well south of ₹1.5L, which is my cap.

Questions
  1. The fundamental question - Does the overall setup look good? Any advice on changes here? Will the wharfedales work well with the rest?
  2. Is there any sense in waiting further to buy the AVR? I did read in many posts in the forum that the prices right now are exorbitant for AVRs, and are expected to drop a few months later. Did not find a reference for the lower price though. If it would be a matter of 2-3k only, I might as well buy it now to ensure my interiors and cable planning is accurate
  3. Which one would be better between the RC60i v/s the Q165C? The price difference is just 2k, though I have not been able to find any good comparisons. Since COVID and lockdowns restrict the option to audition, wanted some advice here
  4. I was planning to get 14-Gauge wiring for the entire setup. Is this overkill for such a small room?
  5. Would a 65" TV be overkill in this setup? The cost difference is significant, but I have received mixed inputs around 65" being better for the big-cinema-viewing experience
Thanks in advance!
Hi i am planning a similar setup with the W acoustics 5.1.2 package with QB 12 subwoofer. But i am nowhere close to getting the price that you have received. Can you share the details of the AVR dealer that you have contacted? Also how is your experience with this package?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back