My first Turntable

And you will need very clean Lps to play.You can't play old Lps on this

One of their sales points is that the LPs should indeed be clean (add one of those expensive cleaning machines to the budget: heck, if spending this much anyway, who wouldn't?) but that they are very capable of playing old and even damaged LPs. The lasers can read the groove not only below the damage of surface scratches, but even below stylus wear.

Sadly, I'm never going to be finding out. Even selling the car would only raise a part of the cost.

Thanks for posting the video: have not watched it yet as about to go out --- for some live music :)

Last edited:
One of their sales points is that the LPs should indeed be clean (add one of those expensive cleaning machines to the budget: heck, if spending this much anyway, who wouldn't?) but that they are very capable of playing old and even damaged LPs. The lasers can read the groove not only below the damage of surface scratches, but even below stylus wear.

Sadly, I'm never going to be finding out. Even selling the car would only raise a part of the cost.

Thanks for posting the video: have not watched it yet as about to go out --- for some live music :)

True.
Thanks for posting the video.
A Year back they had sent me a demo cd and there after the every month I get an email from Sanju Chiba, President ELP, asking any plans to buy.They even send details regarding used and refurbished ones... but that one too costs$10210... Hmmmm... my pocket is not that big.

Yes, it is pure analogue. Phono out --- although a built-in pre-amp to give line-out is an optional extra. Coincidentally, I was looking at their site only a day or two ago: even read the User Manual.

Does it sound good? It would be a dire disappointment, at that price, if it didn't. I guess, though, there are more expensive stylus/cartridge-based decks available.

In theory, I'm sure that taking the physical-contact bit out of playing vinyl would be the best way to go. Whether this particular deck sounds better or worse than any other given deck would, no doubt, be a matter for endless discussion :). For a lot of vunyl fans, though, this would take a lot of the fun out it: I've heard it claimed that every cartridge has a different sound.

As an archive and recovery tool, hifi might not be the number-one priority: this thing will even play broken records, if one has the patience to line the grooves up properly. OK, vinyl doesn't break; shellac did, and 78s had much bigger grooves.

EDIT... watched the video now...
A Year back they had sent me a demo cd and there after the every month I get an email from Sanju Chiba, President ELP, asking any plans to buy.
What a nice guy! How could you not buy his laser turntable! :lol:

Last edited:
watched the video now...

What a nice guy! How could you not buy his laser turntable! :lol:

I'm sure that the analogue/vinyl die-hards will resonate with what he has to say about digital/analogue music. As he feels the way he does, I hope we could be right in assuming that his laser machine sounds at least as good as a lump of diamond.

It seems that, at video date, they have about 1,500 customers. I wonder how this compares with some of the more esoteric high-end hifi manufacturers? Anyway, they seem to be surviving. I hope they do.

Anyway, with the possible exception of a car, I am never going to get to spend this much cash on any single item, let alone hifi.

Probably not much chance of this being somebody's first turntable (thread) either!

Dear All,
Plan to buy a TT ... Rega RP1 or Pro-ject Debut III .......... Which one should I consider? Earlier I was having a HMV Ceramic TT but it has achieved its superannuation. Friends please suggest .... My vinyls are old

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back