My Hi Fi Rig

sandeepmohan

Its not much and without doubt the cheapest rig out here. The rig consists of Technics SU800 Stereo Integrated Amplifier, Technics Twin Well Stereo Cassette Deck RS-TR165, Technics 4 Way Speaker System SB-G750. There is a mathcing Technics 7+7 Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer as well but i have kept this aside after picking up the DNM EQ-104. I bought the entire Technics rig for just Rs. 7000. It was on ebay a couple of years ago.

The other setup is a Pulz which i bought for a song at Rs. 2500. Consists of a RS180DC Stereo Intergrated Amplifier and RS B4 Two Way Sealed Enclosure Speaker System. The sound quality of this system is leagues ahead of my Technics.

The other two components I bought new. Cambridge Audio CD5 and DNM EQ-104 10+10 Stereo Graphic Equalizer. The CD5 cost me Rs. 10000 and the DNM was Rs. 4500

I use both systems for different music applications. The Technics serves well for hard hitting rock music and has excellent bass with the 12" driver. The Pulz is totally different. It can't play too loud but the accuracy in sound is something that has amazed me. Though placement critical; the RS B4 book shelves have stunning bass response for such compact dimensions. I guess it has a lot to do with the sealed enclosure design and the cabinet construction. It weighs a lot for a book shelf speaker. I will close my eyes and pick up a Pulz any day. It sure does not have the aesthetics of a Marantz or NAD but sounds just as good.

As with many Hi Fi setups I too suffer from a room problem. This setup is in my bedroom and hence has no real breathing space for them to sound their best. Given a larger room the Technics can really shine with its powerful & deep bass response.

Last edited:
Impressive bro. Thanks for sharing especially the costs involved too. Many are loathe to do that on this forum, but I'm sure this review will help many.

Hi Sandeep,

With your post, you have made me very nostalgic. I too used to own an all Technics set-up (amp, tuner, cassettedeck, TT and speakers, NO CDP) a long time back (in the mid-80s) when I was a graduate student in the US. I paid a total of considerably under USD1000 (do not remember the exact number, could be something like USD 600 or so) from a store which was going out of business and was selling all their stuff at literally throw away price. That system has given me many hours of musical pleasure. While it was definitely not a high end system, it was quite good. Thanks for sharing and posting the pictures. Happy listening !

Thanks mates....this is where I have started cause this is all I can afford. However I love the sound quality of my rig and its going to take some coaxing for me to replace my rig cause for my conditions (room wise) i don't see anything sounding better than what I have

Hi Sandeep,

With your post, you have made me very nostalgic. I too used to own an all Technics set-up (amp, tuner, cassettedeck, TT and speakers, NO CDP) a long time back (in the mid-80s) when I was a graduate student in the US. I paid a total of considerably under USD1000 (do not remember the exact number, could be something like USD 600 or so) from a store which was going out of business and was selling all their stuff at literally throw away price. That system has given me many hours of musical pleasure. While it was definitely not a high end system, it was quite good. Thanks for sharing and posting the pictures. Happy listening !
Asit....Thanks very much for your comments....The Technics that I have is also a part of a full Technics setup but this was all that was on sale at the time. There is a matching Tuner, CD Player & Record Player for my system

Impressive collection snadeep!!!
I had Technics RSB33W double deck, i was using it to record from cd's to tape 12 years back, great recording quality!!!!
Nothing like vintage sound :cool:

My Vintage Amps

Regards,
Anil

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back