My home-theatre journey... (starts again!)

Congrats Shaiju.

Those prices from Fairdeal are too good to be true with b&w....

Last edited:
Congrats! So is it all set up now?

Almost... but not yet. Am hunting for a TV unit as I want to de-clutter. Saw a very basic unit for 4.3K. All wood and open at front and rear. Similar to the attached image but sans drawers (bottom ins open as well).

Also planning for a DVD/book shelf. That will complete the setup. Suggestions please for the TV unit.

You guys are weclome to drop over at my place.

Last edited:
Monday afternoon to everyone.

It has been a week with Denon 2311 and Paradigm 7s. Couple of issues:
1) Paradigm 7s - one of the tower is incorrectly built with 2 white drivers. It will be replaced this week.
2) Denon 2311 - the Menu and Channel buttons on the remote stop responding after 5-10 mins of playing. I have set the source to BD. The buttons work fine but stops responding abruptly after some time. I have to change the source, say, DVD and switch back to BD for the buttons to respond. All other buttons work fine. Anyone with this issue? Have I configured something wrongly?

What is the best price for CC-190 - that's next on my priority list.

1) Paradigm 7s - one of the tower is incorrectly built with 2 white drivers. It will be replaced this week.
2) Denon 2311 - the Menu and Channel buttons on the remote stop responding after 5-10 mins of playing. I have set the source to BD. The buttons work fine but stops responding abruptly after some time. I have to change the source, say, DVD and switch back to BD for the buttons to respond. All other buttons work fine. Anyone with this issue? Have I configured something wrongly?

wondering about the quality control....esp paradigm. it seems the company didnt even do a test run nor took any measurements...

Last edited:
cmsajith,

Take a chill pill before slinging mud.

Shaiju - Paradigm has a facebook page. They are very responsive and interactive. They speakers should have a 5 year warranty. please take a picture of the Monitor 7's and post it on the FB page with the serial numbers of the speakers and a description of the problem.

It is possible their response will tell you a lot about where the speakes came from etc.. etc..

If the dealer is replacing the Monitor 7's well enough.. but if i were you i would probe further. Normally this should not happen.

Hope you have a bill and warranty for the stuff you bought.

regards,
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
You can go for Onkyo SR 608 which is Thx certified along with Elac speakers having 5 yrs warranty. Following Elac speakers go best with onkyo: Elac FS 58 (Tower speakers Right and Left), Elac BS 52 (four surround speakers including two in the rear), Elac CC 51 (Centre channel) and Elac Subwoofer (50 ESP). I have found them best suited for movies and music. The dialogues are crispy clear and it has lot of warmth unlike klipsch speakers which gives you harshness. It will cost you 1.26lakhs

Man, you seriously have bad luck with electronics.. Lol..
I mean, did you get anything atall without fault in the first atempt?? :D :eek:hyeah:

Iam looking for the Paradigm Monitors too but have second thoughts now.. :rolleyes:

How is your Monitor 7 holding up after this episode? When I auditioned, Vocals, Midrange and highs were great.. Did not find issues with bass too.. But still wondered if they will suffice in the bass department with those (puny)5 1/2 inchers(!)

How is the dynamic performance during movies in the house? Is the bass adequeate to feel the bomb blasts, gun shots etc? Will it require a sub?

How much was the 9's quoted for? Is there a reason you prefered the 7s instead?

Iam deciding between the two.. Let me know your thoughts.. FYI, I won't be adding subs now or later (hate them).. Post prices also for 7, 9 and the centers if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Ya, gadgets share stange love for me. It is like Hogwarts sorting hat. My new Samsung I9003 SLCD has couple of shiny stuck pixels. Surprisingly I do manage to land up in similar situations somehow, everytime.

Back on topic. Paradigm 7s really satisfy me. Never got chance to post pics after I got the towers exchanged 3 weeks later. Both Denon 2311 and 7s are proving to be a good combo.

How is the dynamic performance during movies in the house?
- Very good. Tron Legacy blu-ray is great material for testing both AVR and speaker capabilities. So is Inception and to a certain extent Avatar. I get goosebumps on certain scenes; the same reaction when I heard it in theaters. So you see, it does satisfy me.

Is the bass adequeate to feel the bomb blasts, gun shots etc?
- More than adequate Dynamic EQ setting on the 2311 does add all the extra thump and the 7s handle it very well.

- 9s were about 45K. 7s were more than sufficient for my listening habits and distance. I don't want to do a repurchase when I move out to my Bandra home and planned ahead for the bigger room. 9s would have been better as I loved them during demos but they are huge and need large space to shine.

Post prices also for 7, 9 and the centers if possible.
- 7s at 37K, 9s at 45K, CC190 at 14.5K

Will it require a sub?
- Not really. At least my setup does not require a sub. I will hold it till I move out to my bigger room.

Edit: The 2nd issue regarding the Denon remote is a non-issue. That is how it is programmed to work (uh!). Thanks to kitttu else I would have been pressing buttons.

Last edited:
Hi.

Ya, gadgets share stange love for me. It is like Hogwarts sorting hat. My new Samsung I9003 SLCD has couple of shiny stuck pixels. Surprisingly I do manage to land up in similar situations somehow, everytime.

Back on topic. Paradigm 7s really satisfy me. Never got chance to post pics after I got the towers exchanged 3 weeks later. Both Denon 2311 and 7s are proving to be a good combo.

- Very good. Tron Legacy blu-ray is great material for testing both AVR and speaker capabilities. So is Inception and to a certain extent Avatar. I get goosebumps on certain scenes; the same reaction when I heard it in theaters. So you see, it does satisfy me.

- More than adequate Dynamic EQ setting on the 2311 does add all the extra thump and the 7s handle it very well.

- 9s were about 45K. 7s were more than sufficient for my listening habits and distance. I don't want to do a repurchase when I move out to my Bandra home and planned ahead for the bigger room. 9s would have been better as I loved them during demos but they are huge and need large space to shine.

Will it require a sub?
- Not really. At least my setup does not require a sub. I will hold it till I move out to my bigger room.

Edit: The 2nd issue regarding the Denon remote is a non-issue. That is how it is programmed to work (uh!). Thanks to kitttu else I would have been pressing buttons.

Thanks for the replies. That clears everything. :)

Where is Fairdeal? Can I get exact address?

Is 2311 Asia version? 220V?

Are Deftech 600/800 better suited for 2311 as claimed by PROFX? Recommendation on speakers. Auditions confused me.

look forward to help from gurus.

Regards,

How is the dynamic performance during movies in the house? Is the bass adequeate to feel the bomb blasts, gun shots etc? Will it require a sub?

Iam deciding between the two.. Let me know your thoughts.. FYI, I won't be adding subs now or later (hate them).. Post prices also for 7, 9 and the centers if possible.

I personally found the 9's significantly better than the 7's from clarity, better mids and tighter bass. But they do need a bigger room to fill in.

Although, the bass of the 9's are very good, there is nothing like a dedicated sub for movies. For music, the bass is more than adequate. Come over to Blr and you can check for yourself :)

Can i get similar pricing on Paradigm now?
Can you share the contact number of the dealer with me...wud be great!!

Hi.

Will it require a sub?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back