My home-theatre journey... (starts again!)

shaiju_o_thomas

Hello to everyone.

Last Dec I had almost finalized with a music setup and auditioned few amps and speakers (mainly floorstanders). Had to put it off as renovation started and didn't want dust to spoil my new setup. Now the repairs are almost done and time to revive the setup.

Room size: 12X16
Usage: 60% movies, 40% music. Mostly 2 movies on weekends.
Likes: Any genre of movies. Music mostly lounge, OST, popular, soft rock, soul, rhythm and blues with occasional trance and classical. Not too critical about music but like movies to sound great.
Dislikes: Anything too bright or boomy.

Current setup:
LG 50PK550R
Pioneer DV-420V-K, Sony BDP-S370B
TataSky HD
Edifier C2 - till I get HT setup

Budget:
Budget%20v1.PNG

Component list:
Component%20list%20v1.PNG

I am clueless about cables.

Other plans:
* Change Plasma stand. Have found some interesting ones at blu-ray/community.
* Will opt for a separate CD, DVD rack/stand.
* No dedicated stereo amp.
* Upgrade LG PK550 to 2011 Samsung or Panasonic.

The purchase will not be immediate; 3-4 months before the buy (already saved for this but the kanjoos that I am...!) and the AVR may be an import.

Do not want to breach the max budget. Listed Polk Audio as they were to my liking. Have read through suggestions by kittu, magma, iaudio, venkatcr, denom and many others. So making a decision should be a quick one but the excellent forum that this is, would appreciate final words and suggestions.

Excited... super excited!

Shaiju

Note: .xls is attached - I'll keep revising based on audition and suggestions.

Last edited:
The imported AVR will have voltage requirement of 120 volts. So you'll need a step-down transformer. Just bringing this to your attention.

All the best for your future purchases. :)

excellent

Should have started myself the same way, but alas am in middle of my auditions.

Marantz 7005 will not fall in your budget, Pioneer 1020 will tough, you can go for Marantz 6005 or Denon 2311 also both will be good and Future proof especially denon since it has pre out.

For speakers give Mission 35i a chance, they are really VFM and found them better than Polk TSI series.

But my Audition have left me with a saying, "Sound is very personal", buy speakers only after auditions.

In case yo want more opinions please PM / Post.

PS ; I also own PK550 and am Happy with It so far :)

Jatin,

Does the Onkyo 609 have pre-out? It is available on Amazon for 38,000 shipped. Denon 2311 is available at PROFX for 69,900. Makes sense to get a 2011 model with extended feature set?

AVR is one area where I draw a blank :( Will the Onkyo be able to drive my listed choice of speakers?

I'll visit PROFX, Worli by 7:30 pm. Anyone wanting to join in?

Last edited:
Jatin,

Does the Onkyo 609 have pre-out? It is available on Amazon for 38,000 shipped. Denon 2311 is available at PROFX for 69,900. Makes sense to get a 2011 model with extended feature set?

AVR is one area where I draw a blank :( Will the Onkyo be able to drive my listed choice of speakers?

I'll visit PROFX, Worli by 7:30 pm. Anyone wanting to join in?

609 does not has pre out but other ton load of features, not sure if some will be using all of them. I personally prefer Denon over onkyo, did'nt liked there sound signature.

Onkyo will drive all speakers in your range comfortably,

Denon 2311 price is mrp and is negotiable, don't go by that, any way you can import if you want but will loose warranty.

Pioneer 1120 / 1020 has favorable reviews and would be a good option too.

http://cgi.ebay.in/Pioneer-VSX-1120...4?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item1c19feb2c2

Pioneer 1120 at 47990 at your door step with step up transformer.

Research a lot and ask lots of questions on AVR on forum ( First search also, a lot is already in threads) , I am too am confused a lot on AVR on my own thread.

Last edited:
Denon 2311 as suggested is recommended.

Polk RTi preferred over TSi, CS and FX are OK. Polk RTi A7 was suggested with CS and FX by ProFX for a friend of mine recently with Denon 2311 for a dedicated room of similar size.

----------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by shaiju_o_thomas

So am I right in saying that using pre-out feature, say, a stereo amp can be connected to AVR for better stereo music? Then do I use same FS speakers connected to amp rather than AVR for music and movies?

OK! The Onkyo 609 site reads "2 Parallel Subwoofer Pre Outs". Does that meet the requirement?

Too many questions... should thank you in advance ^_^

----------------------------------------------------------------------
once a speakers are connected to preout it is advised not to connect ant thing to Amplified connections of avr,

so yes if a stereo amp is connected to AVR via preout it is good to go for both movies and music, center and surrounds will be powered by AVR itsef.

2 sub out is a gimmick, second it is usually a copy of one, separate cross overs cannot be configured at least on Denon it can't be, check manual check ever you zero on.

Preout for speakers is not the same as preout for Sub woofer.

Think of it like this

Subs have there own amplifier, the amplify signals from AVR on there own.

Speakers have to be fed amplified signals from AVR.

Now you can either let AVR do the amplification or get a separate amp to do the amplifying,

Separate Pre / pro always provide better results than a integrated one at a price point.

if you wont mind lets take this conversation to threads so that all can benefit.

I am also a noob but this understanding is a result of my last 2 years into hifi world.

.........My PMs with shaiju_o_thomas

If you are planning to ship AVR all along from US to India. IMO, Price difference (when added with good voltage converter) is not worth the risk.

If you are still looking for lesser price and do not care about Warranty, check Sound Out at Heera Panna. Last time when I visited, I saw Pioneer VSX-1020K, Marantz Sr-6005, Denon AVR-1911, Yamaha RX-V667. Soundout gives with no bill and warranty, but they do not need voltage conversion. They are closed on sunday.

Do check Viola at Andheri (West), as they carry Denon, Marantz, Yamaha with speakers from Polk, Canton, Boston Acoustics, Q Acoustics and more. All with bill and warranty. Its worth a visit and audition.

Thank Jeyaraj.

I visited most of the shops in Andheri (last year) but that was mainly for speakers. Will do a revisit for demo and prices.

Prefer with bill and warranty.

If you are still looking for lesser price and do not care about Warranty, check Sound Out at Heera Panna. Last time when I visited, I saw Pioneer VSX-1020K, Marantz Sr-6005, Denon AVR-1911, Yamaha RX-V667. .
Can prices be posted?

I did not ask the price last time, as I was in kind of a hurry and reached late(around 9.00pm). He was quoting Denon 1611 for Rs. 24000/-. Pioneer VSX-520K for Rs.16000/-. I hope Rs.1000 to 500 can be reduced by bargaining.

Sound out was having Wharf and Mission BS,FS speakers too.

----------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by shaiju_o_thomas

So am I right in saying that using pre-out feature, say, a stereo amp can be connected to AVR for better stereo music? Then do I use same FS speakers connected to amp rather than AVR for music and movies?

I think you would have to use the pre outs from the AVR with a stereo power amp. And keep in mind, that your AVR pre out section may not be of the best quality.

OK! The Onkyo 609 site reads "2 Parallel Subwoofer Pre Outs". Does that meet the requirement?

Too many questions... should thank you in advance ^_^

----------------------------------------------------------------------
once a speakers are connected to preout it is advised not to connect ant thing to Amplified connections of avr

Are you talking about powered speakers?

so yes if a stereo amp is connected to AVR via preout it is good to go for both movies and music, center and surrounds will be powered by AVR itsef.

2 sub out is a gimmick, second it is usually a copy of one, separate cross overs cannot be configured at least on Denon it can't be, check manual check ever you zero on.

Preout for speakers is not the same as preout for Sub woofer.

Think of it like this

Subs have there own amplifier, the amplify signals from AVR on there own.

Speakers have to be fed amplified signals from AVR.

Now you can either let AVR do the amplification or get a separate amp to do the amplifying,

Separate Pre / pro always provide better results than a integrated one at a price point.

if you wont mind lets take this conversation to threads so that all can benefit.

I am also a noob but this understanding is a result of my last 2 years into hifi world.

.........My PMs with shaiju_o_thomas

Replies in bold.:)

Iaudio: This a copy of my PM to shaiju_o_thomas . above the line are questions and below are my answers. Just wanted to take a ongoing conversation to thread

Yes, absolutely agree that in common AVRs today pre out is not good but it will be better to have them now and not regret later and add a amp on than use internal amp of AVR.

Well I did't wanted to have active vs passive speakers into question since Passive speakers are most common. Why to confuse some one.

I just said that once pre out for a speaker is in use it is advised not to use its counterpart amplified pole.

Understanding Active and Passive Speakers - For Dummies

AE5 seems to be the most common choice for active speakers.

ProFX

Polk Audio RTi A5 for 44,000.
Denon 2311 for 69,900.

RTi A5 was connected to 4311. Heard 127 Hours, a DVD and blu-ray. Sounded good though a bit on the sharp side.

Quote: 102,000 post discounts.

Happened to chance on the new KEF Q500 floor standers with 49,900 tag. No time to demo as they were downing shutters. Maybe I'll make a trip on Sunday noon. Anyone heard the Q500?

Kittu, appreciate you spending an hour (yes, that's right, I just checked the call history) on call explaining quite a few things :) I'll try Viola and The Shop for a better deal. Hope they have Paradigm 7s.

PS: On a total high. INDIA WON!!! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee South Mumbai was jam packed.

Last edited:
ProFX

Happened to chance on the new KEF Q500 floor standers with 49,900 tag. No time to demo as they were downing shutters. Maybe I'll make a trip on Sunday noon. Anyone heard the Q500?

Although I havn't heard KEF Q500, but heard their bookshelf speaker Q300 pairing with Marantz amp at Bass n Treble Dwarka NCR. The performance was all along good with right energy and bass level. The sound was fuller compared to Quad 11L classic and price-wise also decent at 28k. It is front ported so less demanding for positioning. It's tweeter is at the centre of the woofer. They call it Q-point and claim that it offers bigger sweet-spot and thus better while movie viewing, where generally there are more than one viewer/listener. But only hitch I had faced was when I have tried a bright recording CD, it reproduced very brightly and I could not listen it beyond 2-3 minutes. But it is not any fault of the speakers, they are neutral and true to the recording. I have shortlisted KEF q300 as my probable speaker with Marantz 6004 AVR and has a plan to hear once more critically. They are beautiful looking speakers.

Got them at last. Denon 2311 and Paradigm 7 v6.

2311 is huge for existing TV unit. The 7s are perfectly sized for my room.

I got below quotes for 2311
63K - ProFX
59K - The Shop
55K - Viola
47K - Sound Out
42K - Fairdeal

For Paradigms
41K - The Shop
38K - Viola
36K - Fairdeal

RTi A5s also paired well with 2311 but they were a bit too bright.
40K -ProFX
39K - Viola
38K - The Shop

Also toyed with idea of Marantz SR6005 for 56K.

ProFX has very pleasing staff but sadly the prices are nowhere near pleasing. Manoj is a great guy. I got Chord Carnival Silvescreen from him though it was a bit on the expensive side.

Thanks to kittu, magma. Both them have been patient in replying all of my, most often, basic questions. Very pleasing to deal with Lokesh from HT store. Superb!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back