My humble pie

magma

hello all

i had started auditioning various hi fi seperates last year on my quest for building a budget audio system for my old home/parents home
refer
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3332-budget-speakers-auditioned-noobs-take.html

A few members have asked me what i ended up with

so heres what i bought

Picasa Web Albums - khuzema - My Old Home S...

The link might change when additions are made.if i forget to update members may remind me or PM me if interested

the setup is not yet complete
A pair of stands should arrive soon.
that can be seen here

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/4664-diy-stands-standanddeliver-i-stood-hope-i-delivered.html

also the amp will soon have the entire space/shelf since hopefully a cdp and DAC will soon occupy the place where the TV lies currently

I thank you all for your support advice and encouragement.it was truly invaluable
A special thanks to Dinyaar who has accompanied me to various audtions and also visited me at home to setup my modest rig

i hope to upgrade soon enough
the bug bit me on day one itself! however for now i hope to collect and hear some nice music

Do you plan to keep something on top of the amp? Or is that an interim arrangement?

In the haste of signing off for the day, I forgot to congratulate you. I hope you enjoy your acquisitions. The speakers look quite beautiful. I am sure they would look even better on those stands you are making. BTW, what is that IC I see in your picture?

BTW do share the components, the costs involved, and how the setup sounds especially for the benefit of newcomers who have not been following your other threads.

Do you plan to keep something on top of the amp? Or is that an interim arrangement?

Asit ji i think i have posted captions on the photos on picassa.
you probably missed reading them
Anyway the dvdp on top of the amp is an interim arrangement.pport
that entire shelf will soon be dedicated to the amp only
The IC you see is a DIY IC made from Kimber cable by Dinyaar
seems one of his friends compares it to a 10k buck offering
anyway since its so short i can only use it till my source is stacked on the amp.
when i have a dedicated shelf ill have to buy a new IC then probably ill replace the metal plugs between the pre and power sections with this

thanks for the wishes sir.and for your support

BTW do share the components, the costs involved, and how the setup sounds especially for the benefit of newcomers who have not been following your other threads.

hope to post soon
soon after my source is finalised
(maybe after you help me build my HTPC...hehe)

GReat! Welcome to the NAD club. A great budget buy you will value for its great sound at modest price. Hope you got it from abroad?

Cheers

Congrats on reaching the first stop of your journey! I hope there will be more reviews/ upgrades going forward, and everyone here will benefit. Your noobs take thread is a superstar thread! :clapping:

regards

congrats magma on your new setup the PSB & NAD looks great,

noobs take thread was very informative for guys like me. Jus checked your DIY stand thread too awesome thread the details you have given there and the inputs given by Keith, cranky etc would be valuable inputs for other ppl trying for similar setup.

like moser said could you jus put down the price of the amp cdp & speakers as well.

Also looking forward to your review on your setup once everything is properly setup.

happy listening

magma,congrats on the purchase!!the speakers look great.happy listenin!!!cheers

GReat! Welcome to the NAD club. A great budget buy you will value for its great sound at modest price. Hope you got it from abroad?

Cheers

thanks guys.
yep i found NAD to be an allrounder kind of jack of all trades.
marantz maybe more revelaing but i didnt like it for certain speakers and certain music

Congrats on reaching the first stop of your journey! I hope there will be more reviews/ upgrades going forward, and everyone here will benefit. Your noobs take thread is a superstar thread! :clapping:

regards

thank you anm
i hope to post more reviews too
maybe the next will be "some Equipment- A bit more than a Noobs Take"

congrats magma on your new setup the PSB & NAD looks great,

noobs take thread was very informative for guys like me. Jus checked your DIY stand thread too awesome thread the details you have given there and the inputs given by Keith, cranky etc would be valuable inputs for other ppl trying for similar setup.

like moser said could you jus put down the price of the amp cdp & speakers as well.

Also looking forward to your review on your setup once everything is properly setup.

happy listening

CDP has not been bought
Hope to buy one when i can afford them
(im pretty finicky with what pairing ill need)
now that i have the amp and speakers i do have an idea about what flavour i need from my CDP

prices are exactly the same as i have posted on my thread "Noobs take"
except the PSB got 1000 buck more expensive (currently 19k-20k)
( crap waited too long)

magma - there is an used beresford on sale on what hifi that you may be interested in. I am not sure if this is same from heliumflight but I guess it should be. You can buy it. I went to his place once to collect my lyrita pre-amp (that I bought from a gentleman named Bobby Arora). In my brief meeting, I found him quite a gentleman.

As per the pre-amp, it is not yet pressed into duty.

regards

Congratulations, Magma! So finally you settled on the NAD-PSB combination. Wonder why you did not go for the Image B25 though. That is a very nice speaker for the money.

magma - there is an used beresford on sale on what hifi that you may be interested in. I am not sure if this is same from heliumflight but I guess it should be. You can buy it. I went to his place once to collect my lyrita pre-amp (that I bought from a gentleman named Bobby Arora). In my brief meeting, I found him quite a gentleman.

As per the pre-amp, it is not yet pressed into duty.
regards

hey whos selling this
can i get a link?
i cant see it on hifi mart:sad:
please do PM me the link

Congratulations, Magma! So finally you settled on the NAD-PSB combination. Wonder why you did not go for the Image B25 though. That is a very nice speaker for the money.

the B25- excellent speaker
but needs a higher specked marantz ( at least 60rms) to get it going. especially the upper mids ( though all PSB and NAD dealers will deny this statement and will throw at you all the reviews about the speaker and amp being made for each other)
To it did not sound lively enough with the 325
i unfortunately didnt have a budget to afford the B25 AND a PM 7001

hi all

i managed to get around to modifying my rack for some new components today
namely my Music PC

following can be viewed below
the rack is still missing a touchscreen which should come in soon

Also you can see the stands with a vintage pair of made in japan Akai 3 way speakers
Just got those only the day before from a friend.

ive heard a few CDPs and dvdps . i still swear by my old sony
i use it for movies and sometimes for music too
The music PC isint entirely ready
a SC is being sourced though all the tweaking has been done in bios and windows reg.

cables are 10AWG belden for PSB Image B15 and an unbranded 16AWG Silvercoated cu wire for Akai
interconnects are Kimber for DVDP, and DH labs Silver sonic for music PC

Last edited:
hi all

i managed to get around to modifying my rack for some new components today
namely my Music PC

following can be viewed below
the rack is still missing a touchscreen which should come in soon

Also you can see the stands with a vintage pair of made in japan Akai 3 way speakers
Just got those only the day before from a friend.

ive heard a few CDPs and dvdps . i still swear by my old sony
i use it for movies and sometimes for music too
The music PC isint entirely ready
a SC is being sourced though all the tweaking has been done in bios and windows reg.

cables are 10AWG belden for PSB Image B15 and an unbranded 16AWG Silvercoated cu wire for Akai
interconnects are Kimber for DVDP, and DH labs Silver sonic for music PC

Magma, I am a fan of all your threads for the detailed and as you have said meticulous approach. Saw the Picassa album too. Good work with the stands and htpc case. Please post more close up photos of the stand and your newly acquired akai speakers. I guess they are ones with huge drives, boxy cabinet and all. Good going and enjoy your music. Keep your informative posts flowing:clapping:

enjoy,enjoy.lotsn lots of musical hrs to u friend :clapping:.on an off note excuse my not updating the scenario with my getz ICE upgrade(have put up photos of my 2ch setup in the 'showcase ur av setup' thread tho).with urs,neos,and others advice got all components decided on,even spoke to ajay regarding the same few mths ago and wham,..everythin took a back seat.money,money :mad:.damnit.will do as and when.cheers bro.

Those speaker stands in pic 24 are your DIY work right? Absolutely fabulous!! Incredible!

Great work!
Cheers

Magma,

Lovely posts.. a noobs take and the DIY stands..

I plan to go for PSB B25 with my existing Harman kardon AVR 255 ( 70W RMS, 8 ohm , 2 channel ) ( 50WRMS 8 Phm, all 7 channels driven ).

Have you heard this combo ?

mpw

yes rahul

they are the same stands!

i might build another set though and get rid of these
i realised i like listening to music while sitting/slouching on the floor ( indian sitting) rather than the couch - so now i gotta build shorter stands!

mpw
a harman and the B25 should go well
one is on the forward side one is laid back

the only thing you need to check is the power on the Harman
i would ideally want it to be a minimum of 50w (better if its a bit more though)

Rallynut
whats your budget
im sure we can find somethin for your
Car audio has something for every budget

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back