My Journey of Building a Home Theatre

I just saw your photos. A lot of work needs to be done on the room IF you are looking form some serious HT. A much easier and simpler solution will be to go in for a large TV and a HT system based upon bookshelf speakers. You have a very large hole in terms of the staircase, and that will be very difficult to handle.

Cheers

@Sam
I had given it in an earlier post. However, i am gving the link again.
home theatre pictures by alsekar - Photobucket
Thanks for your interest

oops apologies for the miss, though I am not an expert, but I had the same feeling what venkat said .... you got to do a lot of work, if the room needs to be converted to a dedicated HT. Anyway continue, I will keep in touch with the thread ......

I just saw your photos. A lot of work needs to be done on the room IF you are looking form some serious HT. A much easier and simpler solution will be to go in for a large TV and a HT system based upon bookshelf speakers. You have a very large hole in terms of the staircase, and that will be very difficult to handle.

Cheers

@Venkatcr, @sam9s
Yes, I agree, it is a challenge to convert this room to HT.
If you see the sketch of the layout proposed which was also included in the link,
You will notice that i am isolating the staircase by creating a timber cabinet floor to ceiling for the entire width of south side.
For north side also, i am extending the existing wardrobe to cover the entire
north side.
So in effect, the room will be bounded by two walls of timber cabinets (north and south), a clean brick wall on the west where i will put up a wall mounted fixed frame screen, and a wall with window and door on the east side.
Now, this east side is going to be a challenge! Should i cover the window with heavy curtains, or
put timber shutters, which can be swung open during non use, i am yet to decide. i was hoping the forum members will be able to help me on this.
Also, i have heard that timber will reflect sound, which means, i need to put panels of sound absorbing acoustic materials on the timber cabinets.
And, make sure that the shutters of timber cabinet do not vibrate, by providing rubber beading around the edges of shutters.
I have a separate budget for all these timber work, which i had been planning to do for sometime anyway.
So, the 5 lac budget is exclusively for HT.

Proposed Surgery

Aleskar,

Wow, this is called all mother of proposed surgery. Many congratulations.

This shows the power of your interest.

V.

Last edited:
Whatever walls you are building (wood or brick) should be panelled with sound absorbing material. In addition, whatever civil work you are doing now should also be used for carrying cables - both electrical and speaker cables.

Windows can be covered with heavy drapes to restrict sound.

Cheers

Windows - Curtain

Since you are going to do so much of brilliant extensive work, please consider doing away with the windows, by taking such a bold step, your movie room will go miles ahead.

If you are going to go for the curtains also consider acoustic curtains.

You will have to do important dry run on vibrations because of the low frequencies a/c sub woofer, while to a certain extent vibration is fine, because it does give you a good feel while watching those action movies.

V.

Last edited:
Re: Windows - Curtain

@alsekar: Since you are in Chennai, do check with venkatcr, Srinisundar and svenkateshsmart for screens. Others may help as well. If you are after a particular screen, let me know and I can check with some dealers here. I can check for a Grandview screen if you have finalised on a screen size.

Just saw the pics of your HT and proposed changes, you have indeed taken a bold move as there is a lot of work involved from what I can see from pics. Bravo!! All the Best:).

Whatever walls you are building (wood or brick) should be panelled with sound absorbing material. In addition, whatever civil work you are doing now should also be used for carrying cables - both electrical and speaker cables.

Cheers
+1 to venkat's suggestion. If not done, the staircase will act as a resonating chamber. Also important to plan your cable work before you proceed. Provide additional conduits just in case. Cheaper to have extra conduits rather than rework later. For HDMI cable, provide for a 3 inch pipe to run from your AV rack to your projector as HDMI cables can be difficult to route especially through corners.

Since you are going to do so much of brilliant extensive work, please consider doing away with the windows, by taking such a bold step, your movie room will go miles ahead.

If you are going to go for the curtains also consider acoustic curtains.
Off Topic: Vinay, any pointers regarding availability and prices of acoustic curtains. I need them for another room in my house (facing the road). Gets very noisy sometimes due to vehicular movement.

Re: Windows - Curtain

@alsekar: Since you are in Chennai, do check with venkatcr, Srinisundar and svenkateshsmart for screens. Others may help as well. If you are after a particular screen, let me know and I can check with some dealers here. I can check for a Grandview screen if you have finalised on a screen size.

Just saw the pics of your HT and proposed changes, you have indeed taken a bold move as there is a lot of work involved from what I can see from pics. Bravo!! All the Best:)..
Thanks Santhol,
I thought i need to undertake this journey all alone, but this forum is fantastic.
I am getting help and suggestions from so many. Thanks guys!
I am already in touch with venkatcr.
Could Srinisundar and svenkateshsmart PM pl.

For screen size i am looking for 80 to 100 in. diagonal, 16:9 format, matt white, 1.1 to 1.4 gain, fixed frame with nice finish. Other specs are it should be easy to clean.

Cheers
Thanks Venkat.
Are there good looking sound absorbing panels available which can be arranged in interesting manner?
I am just thinking whether these panels can add to the architectural character of the room through its color and texture and arrangement.
Like you and vinay said, i should probably go for heavy acoustic curtains, if they are not too costly. Otherwise, i will go for timber shutter lined with sound absorbing panels.
A quick estimate: Window size is 4.5' x 4.5' = 20 sft
timber work = 20 sft x 200/- =4000 /-
sound abosorbing panelling = 20 sft x say, 100/- = 2000 /-
Total = 6000/-
So, the acoustic curtain should be less or in this range, and also should be as effective if not more.
Any help in this aspect pl?
Regards

The Power Of Forum

Well you are a very lucky man that you know about this forum and you do not have to undertake this journey alone. During the making of my theatre i never knew about this forum, so i had to take all the calls myself other then acoustics. Moreover in 2007 when i had put pictures of my theatre in this forum, i think there was not one member who had made a dedicated theatre, but now so many of them have made, which results more people to share their knowledge, so three cheers to this great forum.

I think that to take advice via private message etc, is not a good step because how much ever the person may be right or wrong, one may not realize, so if everything is there on the thread, so many of us can add our views by which a better call can be taken and there are other benefits too by writing purely on the thread.

V.

I thought i need to undertake this journey all alone, but this forum is fantastic.
I am getting help and suggestions from so many.
I am already in touch with venkatcr.
Could Srinisundar and svenkateshsmart PM pl.

Last edited:
Thanks Vinay for your immediate response.
I intend to discuss every decision of mine on this forum as i said earlier, this is to benefit amateurs like me and this forum is excellent for that purpose.
Now, while awaiting for some help for the screen from forum members...
friends, could you guide me on the projector.
Projector
The requirements are 1080 p,
less than 1 lac landed price,
durable,
service centres in chennai,
lamp life 3000~4000 hrs.
Projected distance= 12'
aspect ratio = 16:9
image size = upto 100in diagonal

The choices i have to make
1. LCD or DLP? - From this forum, i see the views are divided.
2. Contrast ratio?- There is a wide range 100000:1 to 1000:1. I am confused a little about why there is so much range and for my HT which is applicable best?. Guide me pl.
3. HDMI- Guidance from this forum was that HDMI is a must. I agree.
4.Mounting & Cabling- I am thinking of suspending the projector from roof, The cables needed to be routed on the underside of roof, which means falseroof (expensive???).
Or alternately, if i mount on the eastern wall, just below the AC, the cables can be routed thru the carpentry and i can avoid false roof.
BTW, for sound clarity, is false roof better or leaving it as plain concrete slab better?
( i read somewhere that the roof should reflect the sound and not absorb sound:confused:)
I went thru this website.
Home Theater Projectors Review 2011 | Home Cinema Projectors | Projector - TopTenREVIEWS
Looks like many projectors listed here were also preferred by our members.
Guide me pl. The price range of 1200 usd + or - 200usd should be ok with me.
Looking forward to your response.
Regards

Acoustic Curtains

Hello Santosh,

During the making of my theatre i had seen these acoustic curtains, if one has a serious interest, then i can try to find out and then you know curtain is like a ant, it can not stop the traffic, which means it can not control noise pollution.

V.

The Plan

Well the passion level is so high among many of us that we are hungry to write on queries, even if it means disturbing our day to day activity, when we get a lot burnt out, then we do not show up on the forum for quite some time. On the other hand there are members who take advice, once they are done, they get burnt out there and then, never show up again or may make a very special appearance like the police coming in the climax of a movie.

It is good that you realize that everything should be on the thread, because everyone benefits, including the new entrants. To show the movie reel at each point is far better then showing the full or part movie.

About the projector, Sri and others have a great suggestion that have a look at top ten projectors and other crucial web pages, so the link which you have provided is correct.

In reference to screen santosh has given a lovely tip about the local members in your city and moreover he will do the follow up at his end based on your specific query.

It is a smart move on your part that you are looking for the projector to be serviced locally, as who wants to get into a mess, if it has to sent in another city. However this service factor is likely not possible especially if you are going to import but if you buy from local stores then service will not be a issue, but to buy locally is a disaster, it will be very expensive and you will be dumped with around 1 or 2 years old model.

Further if you will take good care of your projector, service chances will drop considerabely, like in my case i was using the projector for over 3 years, and there was never a problem. On the other hand if you will have some function issues, you can be at ease because there are several members at your end, who know good about a projector. The projected distance and image will not be any problem, because most projectors can do it. You can get other aspect ratios including the one you are looking for, i have certain video content which are in 2 ratios so i switch.

There are projector rods available, if you are ordering the projector from abroad then you can also call for the rod, hdmi cable, etc. In my case i am using a projector lift. The cable has to go from the false celling, there are other ways also which will depend upon your location. Further, if you are putting the projector near AC, then see that there is a gap of at least 1 feet. Indeed you can avoid the false ceiling, things can be worked out, you must visit some forum members, that way a lot of picture will be clear, and if some of them visit your place, then your battle for location and other matters will be solved.

It is better to have a acoustic ceiling, but some leading members say that it is not so important and they stress more of acoustic at the ground and above level.

V.

Last edited:
Accoustics - Curtains

Well about panels, santosh and others are quite good at it, then there is this member Sid, who also knows a lot, but these days he is quite in his writings.

You are right that panels can play the double game of acoustics and add grace to the room interiors, this is how i have also been benefited, but to get a good installer is must.

I can assure you that curtains can never add a better grace to such a movie room, so if you go for timber shutters nothing like it, but there is a major issue, how do we find out the implications during low frequencies?

During the making of my theatre, i had seen so many curtains and acoustic glasses, with great difficulty i had found the brilliant acoustic curtains, a class apart, but then guess what, a mother of all ideas was born, no windows for me, it sent shivers down me when i was considering to do away with the huge sliding windows, then i told myself if a true theatre is required then i have to bite the bullet, and that is what i did, and i am very proud of this move.

V.

I am just thinking whether these panels can add to the architectural character of the room through its color and texture and arrangement.
Like you and vinay said, i should probably go for heavy acoustic curtains. Otherwise, i will go for timber shutter lined with sound absorbing panels.

Last edited:
HELP!
Just now, me and my wife decided to go to US to visit my son. He was supposed to visit us during christmas, but he is unable due to his research project and now we have decided to go to US.
This puts me in a quandry! i was doing it slow as the carpentry work would take 2 months time. But now, I have very little time as we will be flying around 27th Dec.
Now, i need to DECIDE what to get from US. Being christmas season, the shipping time and stock level are difficult and i need to decide within next few days.
My thinking is like this.
Since three of us are going, me, wife and daughter i think i will bring three items.
May be, AVR (Denon AVR 2311ci /???)
and media server(Dune Base 3.0 with 1TB HDD/ ???)
and projector.(Epson powerlite Home cinema 8100/Optoma HD67/ HD20/Vivitek H1080FD/???)
The screen and the speaker system can be bought in India. So is stepdown.
Any suggestions pl.

Very interesting and educative thread.

@alsekar, please buy what you can carry and what you can get very competitively priced. Therefore, what you are thinking (AVR, Media Server, Projector) is inline with this philosophy. Ensure you hand carry the projector and the other items are well packed to last the handling. The makes and models are best decided by you based on your preferences and suggestions from experts in this forum.

Can you please post why Epson Power Lite Home Cinema 8100 is considered over Epson Home Cinema 8350? Thanks.

Imports

Well it seems your stars are rocking towards a movie room.

You can not ask for a better opportunity then this, it will be the best if you can carry some of the gadgets in your trip then trusting a third party or the courier, this way you may benefit with lower customs duty. So you will consider to have the items shipped by amazon to your contact in America, as some members are doing?

V.

Last edited:
Re: Accoustics - Curtains

Well about panels, santosh and others are quite good at it, then there is this member Sid, who also knows a lot, but these days he is quite in his writings.

V.

Yes Vinay you are right - I have been getting behind on my postings - and I apologize - just not getting enough time to sit in front of the computer but hopefully soon, I will have more free time. Meanwhile Vinay, Santhosh, Subhash et al, who have equal if not more knowledge than me can hopefully contribute to the well being of our esteemed HT enthusiasts:).
Cheers
Sid

HELP!
Just now, me and my wife decided to go to US to visit my son. He was supposed to visit us during christmas, but he is unable due to his research project and now we have decided to go to US.
This puts me in a quandry! i was doing it slow as the carpentry work would take 2 months time. But now, I have very little time as we will be flying around 27th Dec.
Now, i need to DECIDE what to get from US. Being christmas season, the shipping time and stock level are difficult and i need to decide within next few days.
My thinking is like this.
Since three of us are going, me, wife and daughter i think i will bring three items.
May be, AVR (Denon AVR 2311ci /???)
and media server(Dune Base 3.0 with 1TB HDD/ ???)
and projector.(Epson powerlite Home cinema 8100/Optoma HD67/ HD20/Vivitek H1080FD/???)
The screen and the speaker system can be bought in India. So is stepdown.
Any suggestions pl.

For the 1080p projector I would recommend the Epson 8350 - that can be ordered from:
Visual Apex
Projector point
Projector people
or Amazon
in the range of $1100 to $1300.
cheers
Sid

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back