My Meridian upgrade

shankarcams

I just upgraded the processor and center speakers of my Meridian home theater. The processor is now an 861v6 and the center a 7200HC. For detailed specs please look up Meridian.

In the last twenty years, I have been through many great names. Before Meridian, I have been a staunch believer in separates and best-in-class. So I might have a ML pre, a Krell amp etc. In terms of speakers I have tried everything from Bose to B&W 801s to Wilson to Avantgarde. So when I say what I am going to say below, it is with a bit of experience under my belt.

Before buying Meridian I actually visited their factory and took a proper demo; I don't think any dealer has a proper demo setup for Meridian. I must say I was blown away by the overall SQ of the system. I attribute the outstanding SQ to the following:

- The entire system from end to end is Meridian. I believe therefore the components are perfectly matched to each other.
- The speakers - all of them - are digital active speakers. This means that speakers take only digital inputs, and all the pre and power amplification happens inside each speaker. The 3-way speakers have 3 different pres and powers matched to respective drivers. I believe this enables each amp to be precisely designed to the characteristics of the driver.
- In general Meridian is known for its outstanding product. Both the control and DSP software is said to be very robust and well designed.

Collateral benefits are that I truly have a single remote without having to learn any commands. The system is native 96K so DVD-Audio is sent as 96K to the speakers. It has many many DSP modes, including well designed modes to emulate 7.1 out of say TV sound. And last but not the least, this is the first system I have had that can give me the sound levels I need WITHOUT ANY DISTORTION at all. The latest upgrade improved the sound by one more notch that I did not think possible.

I must say that after 20 years of Hi Fi listening I think I have reached a new milestone. I will be happy to demo the system to interested members and would suggest that members in Bangalore and Delhi visit Sound of Music (SOUND OF MUSIC) to take Meridian demos.

I am not easily given to hyperbole, and if this seems a little OTT it is because I am genuinely excited.

Shankar, great to know that you have found your desired audio experience with Meridian.
I would love to listen to your active speakers sometime when I come over to Chennai. Honestly I have not heard any high end active speaker!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back