my mini theater with ACER K130 LED projector

oh u have asus o play mini..can you give me a detail..
when u play a true blu ray rip with dts or dts hd or dolby hd sound.....and u send ur signal from o play to ur reciever via hdmi cable.then

are u getting true 5 channel sound??
also are you getting dts logo in ur reciever..or it is showing pcm??

sorry for being off topic.
my marantz sr301 is pretty old with no HDMI, hence no idea about DTS HDMA or Dolby true HD

Congratulations diplomat...wishing you happy viewing with your new personal theater. Was eagerly waiting for your review and it is now pushing me out of my slumber to start hunting for one.

how did you do ur diy, some photo and guidelines pl.
I need to remove it as it can not be fixed on living room all the time
as u can see, this is simply 12x10 ft bedroom and screen of 110inch all the time will be inconvenient. I need to roll over each time after weekend usage.

Heres the pictures of my set up. Sorry for mobile quality.

DSC_0423.jpg

Its a 110" DIY Gray screen.

Total Cost - 2K
Border - 800Rs
Putty & Base Coat including labour (I took help of a pro for putty application) - 900 Rs
Gray Final Coat - 200 Rs.

Final Outputs.

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

Picture doesn't do much justice to the actual quality.

Painting process in chronological order.

1) Marked borders.
2) Scrapped and putty application.
3) 4 coats of base white after putty drying
4) Applying dark gray for the remaining wall portion.
5) I left it as such for a week time to settle in as these are monsoon days
6) Picked a gray screen mix (Winter moon from Asian paints RGB - 202,206,208)
7) Applied 4 coats with roller with 1 hour gap in between coats.

Results are excellent for my liking. I was planning for the base white coat only, but my PJ was crazy bright even at eco mode on white. So went for gray screen. I think white base will be OK for LED PJ.

@arun, excellent setup, how far it is from ur projector??

Thanks diplomat. The room is just 12ft long, PJ is about 1 feet in front of the back window (adjusted for the screen size), so it will be around 11ft from screen exactly.
That 24" LCD (bottom left in first pic) serves as a workstation and as a screen for SD quality classic movies. Its a dual monitor set up running on radeon HD5450.

Last edited:
Greetings Diplomat,

Thank you very much for your good review of the ACER K130.
You have no need to apologize for anything in your review... it was honest and most informative.
I ordered a K130 from Newegg.com this morning $449.99 US and am anxious to see how it performs.

I purchased a Samsung SP-HO3 several years ago and like it very much but am looking for something brighter... I hope the 300 lumens of the K130 are sufficient.

I recently purchased and returned an AAXA M2, then a View Sonic PJD5133 from Amazon. The AAXA M2 at 110 lumens is a nice machine but wasn't quite bright enough. The ViewSonic PJD5133 turned out to be a lamp projector, bright enough, but I don't want to have to replace a bulb in 2 years.

Again, thanks for your most excellent review... keep us updated.

how did you do ur diy, some photo and guidelines pl.
I need to remove it as it can not be fixed on living room all the time
as u can see, this is simply 12x10 ft bedroom and screen of 110inch all the time will be inconvenient. I need to roll over each time after weekend usage.

sVenkateshsmart is having an 84" Motor operated Screen for sale, check with him.

Regards

Hi diplomat

Though mine was a DIY screen, recently i have installed a MITSUN 84" screen with remote control for my nephew for Rs.5250 which is available in chennai. Results are very good if you want i can help you.

Regards

sub

Hi Sub,
I will be certainly in touch with you before my next visit to chennai,
however I am looking for something not permanent, like foldable one....
let me see how far I can get success....

Hi Diplomat,

The specs say K130 supports 3D. Any chance you could verify/try that and give your feedback?
It would need PC support though for the 3D output.

I am planning to go for this and 3D support would be a plus.

Thanks.

I ordered a K130 from Newegg.com this morning $449.99 US and am anxious to see how it performs.

Dear jjsink,

Can you please share the total INR landing cost for this purchase and also if you used a service like Aramex or Borderlinx to ship it.

Thanks

is this pj can replace a normal tv fr regular watching??

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2
long bulb life and its tiny size shall not be problem in using it for tv viewing, i enjoy hd channels on this
but too big a size for typical serial etc will be a kill, certainly watching hd movies channels are superb

Hi Diplomat,

The specs say K130 supports 3D. Any chance you could verify/try that and give your feedback?
It would need PC support though for the 3D output.

I am planning to go for this and 3D support would be a plus.

Thanks.
yes, it supports 3d through pc mode, but u need high end graphics card and dlp 3d glasses, i have neither of them.....

yes, it supports 3d through pc mode, but u need high end graphics card and dlp 3d glasses, i have neither of them.....

Just adding a small info. Implementing a 3D DLP doesn't need high end graphic cards to perform. My Radeon 5450 which costs around 2K INR flawlessly does 3D on DLP. In fact, any graphics card which can drive the DLP projector at 120Hz can do 3D (even internal graphics). Regarding DLP link glasses, you can get for below 2K INR from DX.com. In Indian sites, they're still costlier. Cheaper 3D is one of the top rated advantages of DLP chips. You can get a full 3D set up in under 4K INR. Or else, if your internal graphics is strong enough you can do it just with a DLP link glass. Here's shop links to the set up I am using for 3D content.

Graphics Card:
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics card | eBay

DLP Link Glass:
3D Active Shutter Glasses for DLP-Link Ready Projector - Black + Transparent - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Last edited:
long bulb life and its tiny size shall not be problem in using it for tv viewing, i enjoy hd channels on this
but too big a size for typical serial etc will be a kill, certainly watching hd movies channels are superb

Yeah that is there. But will it be as good as normal LED/LCD in a bright room.

Also cant we change the projection size just with few settings?

for screen size of 60 inch and all, lumens is enough for normal room viewing in tv application for hd channels..
if u expect something in 80/100 inch for tv, then u certainly need dark environment
projection screen size only can be changed by moving the unit forward or backward, no other adjustment is there like normal projectors....

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back