my mini theater with ACER K130 LED projector

Hi Diplomat
Thankyou for posting the pics but after going through many threaeds of LED Pj's I am still confused between Acer K130/Acer K330 and Epson TW-480.Now I have a LG 32" plasma ,so this projector will be mostly used for movies at night time.Thats why i shortlisted LED Pj's .But I am unable to audition 130/330 in Kerala.So Could you give some light on the comparison of these two in terms of brightness.Does the extra 200lum of K330 will be worth 7000 rs.

Hello jidhin,

Welcome to the forum! I am using the Benq GP2. My usage is 100% night time, hence, I am happy with just 200 lumens on it. Mind it, its an ultra short throw PJ, hence its bright enough for my watching needs.

Rest, be assured that you are always in some sane advice with guys like Diplomat, TMA & inshadesofgrey who helped me not only in selecting a good PJ for my usage, but also helped me understand the ABCs of projector world! Thanks buddies!

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
Hi Diplomat
Thankyou for posting the pics but after going through many threaeds of LED Pj's I am still confused between Acer K130/Acer K330 and Epson TW-480.Now I have a LG 32" plasma ,so this projector will be mostly used for movies at night time.Thats why i shortlisted LED Pj's .But I am unable to audition 130/330 in Kerala.So Could you give some light on the comparison of these two in terms of brightness.Does the extra 200lum of K330 will be worth 7000 rs.

Last week i was in the same boat as yours.My projector buying interest started from LED projectors itself.

LED or Lamp type is purely your choice. But TW-480 is a very capable projector as well. I demoed the LG PA70G (700lumens -eco mode off) in a pitch black room (90") and TW-480 with a partially dark room.The difference was day and night.That moment i decided its still some time to go for LEDs.

The basic advantage of LED is massive lamp hours,portability,small form factor.If you buy a lamp pj you have approx 3000 hours. i.e 1000 days of 3 hrs viewing.Min 3 years if you strictly follow the regime.

You can also look at TW550. Its the latest model,successor of 480 and supports 3D out of the box.3D glasses from Samsung work which cost rs.1000 each.Available in Delhi for 52k all inclusive.Otherwise go for the TW480.:)

If you can get the room dark and stay around 90",it maybe fine to go in for a LED pj. All depends on your projector throw distance,screen size,ambient light etc.I would say take the demo of any LED pj available in your area and then decide if it suits your scenario.If LED it is then K330 over 130.
My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thank you Diploamt,Saket and K2max6.The projector buying dilemma had started an year back when I had to bring my office projector(Epson data pj) to my home for bringing to a conference on the next day.Played 720p Zindagi Na Milegi Dubara...and guys I am in.....But there are enough options available in the market to make anyone confused..So I still have a few questions remaining.
1.Its written everywhere that DLP is superior to 3LCD of epson when it comes to HT projectors(Better blacks they say) ,true?
2.Is LED DLP same as lamp based DLP in terms of projection technology(If yes I can get the advantage of DLP in K330 right?)
3.I was quoted 48k for TW-480 five months back and 54 K for TW 550.(3D worth the extra money?)
4.Power consumption :120 w vs 270 vs.Its something isnt it?
5.My usage is 95% night time including occasional TV viewing.Its very hard to get the demo of LED pjs in my place.
6.Less lumens of LED Pjs may correspond to better contrast?(Just an assumption, Pls clarify)
And guys,once again thank you so much for sharing your experience with me.:)

I will go for 3D model. 3D is fun and a big screen will enhance the experience. A 3D PJ like TW550 is on my list of next upgrade.

Thank you Diploamt,Saket and K2max6.The projector buying dilemma had started an year back when I had to bring my office projector(Epson data pj) to my home for bringing to a conference on the next day.Played 720p Zindagi Na Milegi Dubara...and guys I am in.....But there are enough options available in the market to make anyone confused..So I still have a few questions remaining.
1.Its written everywhere that DLP is superior to 3LCD of epson when it comes to HT projectors(Better blacks they say) ,true?
2.Is LED DLP same as lamp based DLP in terms of projection technology(If yes I can get the advantage of DLP in K330 right?)
3.I was quoted 48k for TW-480 five months back and 54 K for TW 550.(3D worth the extra money?)
4.Power consumption :120 w vs 270 vs.Its something isnt it?
5.My usage is 95% night time including occasional TV viewing.Its very hard to get the demo of LED pjs in my place.
6.Less lumens of LED Pjs may correspond to better contrast?(Just an assumption, Pls clarify)
And guys,once again thank you so much for sharing your experience with me.:)

acer 5370 is the clear choice these days for a low budget pj..why so confusion,.fantastic product
if you need warranty..then go for 550.
go for bulb pjs..
led pjs will outdate bulbs..not now..maybe 5 years..
super power leds needs super cooling(cooling of itself) which is a problem now..will be solved difintly..
now buy bulb ones

Last edited:
Let's see.. TW 480 Costs a whopping 54 k in kerala and TW550 is 62 k.. They are telling the price hike is due to the current exchange rate fluctuations..acer k330 has also gone up to 38 k.... I think it will have to wait for some more time... Also due to the budget constraints I think I will have to settle for LED now...I am seeing a lot of happy led customers here also...

Hello,
My first post. :)
Can you guys share your 3d experience with k130?
I have experienced it myself and its great except for one issue. The range is not more than 8 feet. Anything beyond 8 feet and losses sync. Tried couple of 3d glasses. Otherwise its great. Also noticed one more peculiar behaviour. Having the menu pop up window increases the range to ~10 feet.
Tried DLink wifi dongle too which works with k330 but does not seem to work with k130.
Can guys point me to any firmware updates if available?

Thanks.

It surprises me that not many people use 3d feature. Ever since I watched my first 3d movie on these, I am always searching for good 3d movies :)
things u need-
-120hz dlp link 3d glass.
-pc/laptop with nvidia/ati card.
-3d soft player. I prefer cyberlink powerdvd12

get it working:
-set the supported 3d resolution in ur pc. k130 supports 720p @ 120hz with custom resolution.otherwise its 1024x768. Google it on how to do it for ur card for 720p.
-enable 3d mode in projector menu. resync using remote if required to make sure it sets 120hz.you can see in top right corner after pressing resync.
-play some 3d movie files in powerdvd. make sure you enable 3d in powerdvd as well. there are diff 3d settings. setting it to auto works fine.

Regarding range issue I had earlier it was bcoz 6screen size was very large @140 inch. Too much for 300 lumen projector I guess.
-

Tnks man, i was trying on the net to find if the K130 suports 720p@120hz for 3d, because the manual is not complete, and u help me to find what i was missing, really tnks...

Tnks diplomat too, great topic.

I'm new in the projector ting i love movies with hi resolution on big scream, 3d games, i have a very decent game PC so that projector will do great for me. i will buy one, in a mount or so, and update with my review.

tnks all for the input.

------------

one thing if any one can help, the max distance for 3d 720p @120 is only 8 feet or any one made it better, and how much, with glass?please???

Last edited:
Hi,
I have several queries and request you to please answer all or atleast few of them:

1. If I get this projector from US, can I still avail the warranty / free service here in India ? What is the best rate seen on NewEgg ???

2. Is it possible to change the Bulb (or whatever) of this LED. What could be the possible rate of Bulb ? Can we replace it ourselves ?

3. I dont have a Dark Room, but planning to use this in Bed Room at night.

4. Room Dimensions are like 411 cm (B) x 333 cm (L)

5. As per calculations, I need to place the projector at 6 Ft, But I dont have a provision for this. Can I place this at say 10 Ft and still get an image of 100 inches only (Without image getting washed out). Maybe with the help of Zoom or something ?
Looking at 720 p, 16:9

6. Is there any Cooling Requirement for this PJ especially in Bangalore without AC or Fan ?

7. Is the Sound too audible compared to Dell M110 or Acer 330 ?

8. Also, my house is getting ready. Can you suggest Name and Type of Paint. Also, I read using rollers instead of brush ?

9. Supporting List of 3D Glasses

10. What am I missing (Controls) If I compare this with Dell M110 or Acer 330 except the Lumens

11. Source will be Lenovo ThinkPad with Graphics Card. Can this PJ directly access files from External HDD or USB ?

12. Can I play videos from my mobile on this PJ using Wifi

13. Finally, some advice on buying new complete setup for Speakers, Gaming, etc. - Budget 20 K only (Extra)

I believe Dell M110 or Acer K130 will be the only PJs which would be the cheapest for watching occasional movies (including 3D) - Say 1 movie every night & games (1 Hour every night)

Am I missing anything ?

thank you all for your good wishes,
@sub, presently I am thinking of putting one typical indian dhoti, will it not be enough for 16:10 format...

Hi Diplomat,

Im newly registered for HIFI just want to ask u is the DELL M110 projector is gud projector to watch movies as i have lots of blu ray files to watch planning to buy the DELL M110 its price is 35 K around .

sorry for late reply...
but i feel u have better options than DELL 110, which ones upon a time might be better one..
@ 35K u can have 300lm projectors from ACER, even think of benq short throw type model in LED series.
they will fit much better as compared to DELL M110.

diplomat,

You need to use a video calibration disc to set the brightness and contrast correctly. You can set it by eyeballing, but best results are obtained by using calibration patterns. Download the free calibration disc from http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Brightness controls the black level, contrast controls the white level of the display. If the brightness is set too high, the black levels will be horrible and picture will look washed out. If the brightness is set too low, you will lose details in the picture, especially the shadow details (details in dark scenes). If the contrast is not set right, you will see white crushing problem. That's why its important to set these properly.

If you are used to scorching contrast mode, like what they do in showrooms, you will not like the calibrated results at first. But do give it some time and you will realize how natural your display looks with correct settings. Good way to test is the clip from Batman movie "The Dark Knight". When the officers go to Lt. Gordon's home to give the news of his death to his wife. If your display settings are correct, you will see Batman in the dark there as she is hearing the news. If settings are not right, all you will see is darkness.

@monoj.p

Hai I have Epson EH - TW480 lcd HT pj, will the calibration dics helpful for my pj? I am using it with my Zotac GT440 (NVDIA) video card through HDMI. Pl. advice me.

I read that epson projectors are well calibrated in the factory defaults.So there is not much need of re calibrating colors for 480.In btw have you auditioned EH-TW 550 before buying?

Hi Diplomat

@jidhin
Plz.go through the link below you might have an idea how Epson tw480 Perform.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ittle-ht-set-up-epson-eh-tw480-projector.html

I had already gone through that thread the day you posted.Recently enquired epson regarding 480 and they said they have stopped the pj and 550 will be the only choice...

Back