my mini theater with ACER K130 LED projector

Kaushik,

what do you mean by poor? Is it too bright or too dim? It's not a limitation/drawback of a single chip DLP as it is used widely from entry level to mid level in lots of projectors and they calibrate fine. All you need to make sure that brightness is just right for the screen size that you have and other settings are right. Try going to the video mode, which will set brightness contrast to 50, temp to mid and white intensity to 10. Then try the test patterns.

Thanks ,
That is exciting news!
Bad means it misses the details eg. hair strands cant be seen , most hair part appear as dull black etc .

may be the source is issue . Its a Vaio (my daily use) basic laptop, no GFX card inside just basic intel GMA. I have seen it doing very bad with shadows .

i will try with 3 other lappies , i3/i5 based ones are there . Also wil try from a media player.

Kaushik,

Based on your description, it looks like the picture is quite dim. Part of the reason could be screen bigger compared to light output. What is the size of screen you have? Do you have room in dark environment? Are there any reflections on the screen?

Another thing is - make sure your pc is outputting video levels and not pc levels for brightness/contrast. If its outputting PC levels, then make sure that projector settings are set to PC levels. But ideally, it should be at video levels for correct mapping.

About screen size - See if you can make the screen size smaller and it brings out detail, just to give it a shot. It will tell if the screen is really big than it should be.

Use a good 720p/1080p source to do the testing. If the source itself is compressed, not authored correctly and suppressing the details, you won't see it in the projector, no matter what you do. ;)

koushikji,
bare minimum u need to have HD source, at least decent hd media player will do the justice for dell m110.
u will be thrilled to see the diff, when u throw one 1080p file to it even on 100inch size
I do agree u can't do DIY on media player... just joking boss.
youtube itself has 1080p files enough for testing, u can see my screen shots on such files
in closeup scene, u will even notice wrinkles on the face skin for those HD files, though 720p is enough for such projectors.

i have most vids in 720p , but play back system maybe critical.
mplayer in in the list but i am not rushing, but i hate to browse files in conventional remote like monkey job.. want asleek touch remote and a decent mplayer in .

Remote+player <6k

We can do diy in mplayer in remote control part ..
can one give a link to a setup whr my android cell works well as remote for a media player via wifi. or any touch remote for <2k.
with all smooth control as vlc

i have most vids in 720p , but play back system maybe critical.
mplayer in in the list but i am not rushing, but i hate to browse files in conventional remote like monkey job.. want asleek touch remote and a decent mplayer in .

Remote+player <6k

We can do diy in mplayer in remote control part ..
can one give a link to a setup whr my android cell works well as remote for a media player via wifi. or any touch remote for <2k.
with all smooth control as vlc

I am using XBMC as my media center app and it has a dedicated Android remote. Features are reasonably excellent.

For other players, use this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5SZWxtdGVjaC5SZW1vdGUiXQ..

Diplomat, I'm from Chennai and am planning to nuy a PJ (currently stay in Mumbai) - could you give info about where you bought it from (ritchie st?!?!)...

I'm not a noob, but unable to findout how to PM you!

Hello,
My first post. :)
Can you guys share your 3d experience with k130?
I have experienced it myself and its great except for one issue. The range is not more than 8 feet. Anything beyond 8 feet and losses sync. Tried couple of 3d glasses. Otherwise its great. Also noticed one more peculiar behaviour. Having the menu pop up window increases the range to ~10 feet.
Tried DLink wifi dongle too which works with k330 but does not seem to work with k130.
Can guys point me to any firmware updates if available?

Thanks.

There is another option you get good white drawing paper. The standard height of this paper is 60 inches and you can get what ever length you need. I am using one for my projector. the total cost is around 100rs for 7 x 5 feet screen glued on wall.

Congratulations on the projector.

Search on ebay for a screen. There are many available for as low as Rs. 1200 (4*6 Feet) I think it will be better than any DIY Screen.

Hello,
I have experienced it myself and its great except for one issue. The range is not more than 8 feet. Anything beyond 8 feet and losses sync. Tried couple of 3d glasses. Otherwise its great. Also noticed one more peculiar behaviour. Having the menu pop up window increases the range to ~10 feet.
Tried DLink wifi dongle too which works with k330 but does not seem to work with k130.

Thanks.

hey welcome to HFV, what do u mean by range etc, I am not clear
also kindly elaborate how did u get 3d to work on the unit and what was ur exp. this will help the other users in the forum too to get the complete advantage of the unit...

Last edited:
Congratulations on the projector.

Search on ebay for a screen. There are many available for as low as Rs. 1200 (4*6 Feet) I think it will be better than any DIY Screen.

never buy this stype of screen,i recently bought one.screen is highly reflective,shiney type causing direct light reflection.it is for presentation etc...not for HT.
i am planning to paint the screen with distemper flat matt paint..this might work

Hi diplomat,

Please share with us your experience with Acer k 130, how the usb stick works with the projector for movie purpose and what kind of movie files supported?

Hi diplomat,

Please share with us your experience with Acer k 130, how the usb stick works with the projector for movie purpose and what kind of movie files supported?
as u can see my posts on 1st page, the signal is projected actually through usb stick and till date I have no problem in playing formats. But after few days of testing, I have connected to my media player and from that day onward it is fed from ASUS. As claimed in manual, supported formats will have no issue.
performance wise I am very much happy with this tiny beauty and enjoying at least one movie per week on 120 inch screen at the comfort of my home.
No regrets on my investment and selection. Brilliant clarity with 720p files and accurate color from DLP with sufficient lumens for dark room are enough for me.
I will be happy to clarify any specific doubt ...

Hello,

Thanks.

Probably this can be attributed to the low lumen output of the PJ or the sensitivity of the glasses. Since DLP sync relies on the white flashes between frames, a low lumen output can create issues. I am using a cheap deal extreme type glasses on my DLP(2500 lumens) and I don't have any sync problems within 10-12 feet range.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

hey welcome to HFV, what do u mean by range etc, I am not clear
also kindly elaborate how did u get 3d to work on the unit and what was ur exp. this will help the other users in the forum too to get the complete advantage of the unit...

It surprises me that not many people use 3d feature. Ever since I watched my first 3d movie on these, I am always searching for good 3d movies :)
things u need-
-120hz dlp link 3d glass.
-pc/laptop with nvidia/ati card.
-3d soft player. I prefer cyberlink powerdvd12

get it working:
-set the supported 3d resolution in ur pc. k130 supports 720p @ 120hz with custom resolution.otherwise its 1024x768. Google it on how to do it for ur card for 720p.
-enable 3d mode in projector menu. resync using remote if required to make sure it sets 120hz.you can see in top right corner after pressing resync.
-play some 3d movie files in powerdvd. make sure you enable 3d in powerdvd as well. there are diff 3d settings. setting it to auto works fine.

Regarding range issue I had earlier it was bcoz 6screen size was very large @140 inch. Too much for 300 lumen projector I guess.
-

Hi Diplomat
Thankyou for posting the pics but after going through many threaeds of LED Pj's I am still confused between Acer K130/Acer K330 and Epson TW-480.Now I have a LG 32" plasma ,so this projector will be mostly used for movies at night time.Thats why i shortlisted LED Pj's .But I am unable to audition 130/330 in Kerala.So Could you give some light on the comparison of these two in terms of brightness.Does the extra 200lum of K330 will be worth 7000 rs.

The lumens will be based on the screen size u need to obtain, in other words the distance between the screen and PJ. BENQ GP is clear winner in this regard due to short throw lens, where u can get bigger screen at lesser distance, hence low lumens is ok for that case. For ACER models, both have normal throw ratio and hence it all depends on how much u need and upto what darkness u can get in ur room. For me, i have never felt this issue even upto 120inch in dark room with my K130. Having said that, if budget permits, certainly go for higher lumens all the time.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back