19.2 KB · Views: 423
kit from Linuxguru
wires, pot, knob, speaker posts and RCA socket are from diyaudiocart
power switch from theaudiocrafts
toroid from trotrons
cabinet -old ups cabinet

Great man!
BTW, how much have you spent on it?

it is actually Numeric UPS. You removed everything from Numeric UPS and used it as amp cabinet. Thumbs up to your creativity

Last edited:
MiniRef premium componets kit -5000 INR
Toroidal Trafo -750
RCA -300
Banana socket -200
EMI filter -250
Teflon Wires -300
Knob -240
Pot -160
power Switch -450

cool diy. welcome another miniref user. Whats the op amp used ? Did you try LF 02 MODULES?And above all, how would you describe the sonics?

Actually kit comes with a LF02 module. Unfortunately legs are broken while travelling.Siva offer a new one when he complete that one

I've used inverter and cpu cabinets for diy amplifiers but never used a UPS cab though in the past I thought of trying one. Recently made a chip-amp using 12 volt eliminator cabinets, one stacked on top of the other like a two storied building. One cabinet houses power supply and the other one houses amp board and tone control.

@Abhinavas, Nice diy work!

Speaker experts
any DIY speaker suggestion for this amp at a limited budget ..

Look at the Frugal Horn build threads in the DIY section. I am using one until a month ago with the ACA (ampcampamp). Good and simple VFM combination it being full ranger and awesome mid range. Currently replaced the ACA with a Rotel power amp and more than happy with the Frugal Horns.

Here are a few pics of my miniref. When I built it a few months ago, I had an idea to use this old VCD Player. This cabinet has a few nostalgic memories . Those where the days when the chinese made look alikes of branded cd players.Looks like a bird nest inside, but works well.
Planning for a custom made professional AV reciever like cab in my future.

Attachments

• miniref ext.jpg
    miniref ext.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 336
  • miniref int.jpg
    miniref int.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 334
Look at the Frugal Horn build threads in the DIY section. I am using one until a month ago with the ACA (ampcampamp). Good and simple VFM combination it being full ranger and awesome mid range. Currently replaced the ACA with a Rotel power amp and more than happy with the Frugal Horns.

You can bring down build cost by using Fountek FR135EX on Frugal Horn. I had discussed this with Dave (Planet10) and Scott and they recommend this as an alternative.

thanks,
Bibin

Speaker experts
any DIY speaker suggestion for this amp at a limited budget ..

Folded Tabaq with Tymphany drivers looks worthwhile - I've posted a pic of a prototype earlier. Other alternatives include bass-reflex and sealed enclosures for the Tymphany.

@tnvijay
in the picture , so many transformers and boards can see,plz explain what are they, which tone control board is that and where you source that.

Got a speaker encloser from krishna , from his Great Give away.
MDF and teakwood baffle, 6 woofer cutout and . Outer dimensions in mm: H300 X D230 X W210
can suggest a woofer ?

Attachments

• Photo0156.jpg
    Photo0156.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 245
@Abinavas
The extreme left is the emi filter.
1.15-015,500mA trofo for the tone control
2.12-0-12 3A trafo for the miniref
3. 12-0-12 1A trafo for cooler fan, led vu meter, and usb mp3 decoder.

The tone control board is from ritchie street and i modofied with op amp decopuling caps, wima caps for baxandall and upgraded to burrbrown op amps.

can suggest a woofer ?

6" is a bit larger the most of the relatively inexpensive drivers available locally, which tend to be 4.5" or 5.25". However, there is/was an imported Sharp 6" or 5.75" driver with a bluish-grey paper cone that sounds great for the price, and works well in a sealed enclosure (though I tried it in a larger enclosure, an old Technics cabinet).

How much is the power per channel of this amp? Also overall sound quality?

About 20W + 20W rms, depending on the rail voltages. I have built a couple of MiniRefs with slightly lower rail voltages of +/- 19V DC, and these are rated at about 16W + 16W max.

SQ: About the best that can be achieved by any gainclone ever designed, though there's some element of vanity on my part here. However, I can safely claim that it's as good as a MyRef Rev C, at approximately half the cost.

In this encloser , woofer cutout dia is 145mm, can fit 5.25''woofer?

The cutout diameter is too big for a 5.25" woofer, I think. However, there are some woofers with relatively small cones and larger or circular 6" mounting frames, and those *may* fit. They tend to be consumer-electronic drivers - Sanyo and Panasonic have both made drivers with frames of this kind.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back