My Onkyo 6 yr old AVR(ht-s3200) died . Planning to upgrade

Hi

There are a lot of AVR models + Speakers available....you need to decide basis budget, requirement and performance....

Yamaha has the entry level YHT299 which is used by many and has positive reviews.....there are other models and combinations which you can blend...the key is to audition and decide what suits your expectations....the market keeps changing and so decide wisely.....you can look at pre owned stuff from For Sale by Owner, Hi Fi Ads and other online classified websites....

Today returned the AVR tyo onkyo service centre and they said they will take for service and give an estimate. I am sure they will not give any cash in hand. They also said they entire package needs to be returned for exchange.

If that is the case , what is the best component i can get under Onkyo brand ?

I am as of now planning to start with simple 2.1 with good avr setup.

I think of the component in it will be under onkyo brand.

please suggest few option

two days before i got the estimate that it will cost me 8k to repair my avr.

What should i do ?

I asked them what will be the buyback offer. they said they will get back to me soon.

If in case they say a number , which component should i get from onkyo brand ?

two days before i got the estimate that it will cost me 8k to repair my avr.

What should i do ?

I asked them what will be the buyback offer. they said they will get back to me soon.

If in case they say a number , which component should i get from onkyo brand ?

You should get an AVR from Onkyo and buy speakers from other brands that match well with onkyo.

Is it a dealer or directly with only you are dealing with? I am also planning to exchange my onkyo 3200

Onkyo is not bad, especially considering the fact that you can service it easily compared to any imported AVRs. Since your room is small, I will suggest you to stick to Onkyo and audition TX-NR747 or TX-NR646 and see whether you like it or not.

Hi

There are other brands to consider...if you don't want anything too fancy look out for models which are 2-3 years old.....

Alternatively, look at the For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads...good stuff available....

I still dont know the exact estimate for buyback he is offering.

If its a cashback , i will get a good AVR , if not and he insists to provide the cashback on purchase of onkyo component then i might have to get one of the componenet from them.

I am looking for a 5.1/7.2(for future upgrade) and atmos/DTX ready AVR with 4K support.

I dont think they will take my old onkyo HTIB back and give money. I dont think i have that option nor will they provide me one.

Best option is to go get AVR and get 2.1 audio from other brands.

I am lacking time to audition which i know is very very bad on part of me.

My main content is going to be movies. So please suggest a good floor standing a good active sub.

Dealer has given these options and price for AVR :

AVR options :
1, TX-NR555 MRP ;60,000/-
2, TX-NR646 MRP :65,000/-
3, TX-RZ710 MRP: 90,000/-

he is giving options to go for cerwin vega or phase technology for speakers, what should i do ? are these good ?

Please help me guys

I dont think they will take my old onkyo HTIB back and give money. I dont think i have that option nor will they provide me one.

Best option is to go get AVR and get 2.1 audio from other brands.

I am lacking time to audition which i know is very very bad on part of me.

My main content is going to be movies. So please suggest a good floor standing a good active sub.

Dealer has given these options and price for AVR :

he is giving options to go for cerwin vega or phase technology for speakers, what should i do ? are these good ?

Please help me guys

For movies, you don't need floor-standers if you are going to have a sub.

From your first post, you said you have a budget of 50 - 75K.

Reuse the satellite speakers from your Onkyo HTIB, use the budget to get the AVR which supports DTS X and Dolby Atmos.. If you have any budget remaining, add a good sub...

Last edited:
The onkyo dealer was pushing me to get AVR(onkyo) + phase tech or cerwin vega 5.1 audio system , once i told him i am interested only in AVR , he was not quite hospitable to me . :(

Also he said if avr only the discount will be like 3-5% max ..

i dont want to post the offers he emailed ..but generally if the quote is above 1L , the buyback discount is huge..

I dont know what to do next :( , i might have to send a email to onkyo india about this.

anyway i am buying a himedia pro 5 for my 4k TV , so i need a AVR which can recieve HD audio through hdmi , since latest tech audio like atmos and all wont support optical inputs.

If the buyback is like 3-4 K rs , then i would reuse the center and front speakers for now , move the front to back and get a AVR + SUB + front speakers for now.

I have a passive sub and its sh$$.

use your existing speakers and go with avrs from denon, marantz or pioneer. you can get Denon x1200 for 40 - 45k which has dolby atmos and dtx capabilities. you can just buy a floor stander/ book shelf for front now and later you can upgrade your center and sub. you can use your onkyo front speakers as rear channels. with the budget of 70k you will have below options

Denon x1200 + Boston Acoustic A26 = Around 60k
Denon x1200 + Pioneer AJ SP FS52 / Mission VX 4 = Around 70k

So now your next big upgrades will be either your center or the sub. The existing fronts from onkyo is more than enough as rears for a long time.

The onkyo dealer was pushing me to get AVR(onkyo) + phase tech or cerwin vega 5.1 audio system , once i told him i am interested only in AVR , he was not quite hospitable to me . :(

Only hearing bad experience from Onkyo dealers and service centers.
Whether it is related to sale or service the feedback was always negative and not customer friendly.

Better to look out for other AVRs in your budget. There are quite good models in Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer.

use your existing speakers and go with avrs from denon, marantz or pioneer. you can get Denon x1200 for 40 - 45k which has dolby atmos and dtx capabilities. you can just buy a floor stander/ book shelf for front now and later you can upgrade your center and sub. you can use your onkyo front speakers as rear channels. with the budget of 70k you will have below options

Denon x1200 + Boston Acoustic A26 = Around 60k
Denon x1200 + Pioneer AJ SP FS52 / Mission VX 4 = Around 70k

So now your next big upgrades will be either your center or the sub. The existing fronts from onkyo is more than enough as rears for a long time.
thanks for your advice

I was going through the power outputs and whether the speakers will be compatible.. can you confirm the above setups are good for the said AVR ?

I will add active subs too if its stretches my budget a little bit , which one is good ?

Also can you tell me does atmos (later upgrades) , other HD audios will be supported via optical or only through HDMI only ?

If so will the suggested avr able to do it ? i mean i am getting himedia q5 pro for media player , it has one hdmi and optical out , so both himedia and denon avr will be compatible right ?

Also kindly suggest other power management equipment , should i get a stabilizer too ? last time i didnt have one.

80W per channel , is that enough ?

@sunilkm

Yes , onkyo dealer has not been upto to his mark in treating his potential customer and will be lodging a complaint to higher authorities soon. He was more in pushing for phase and CW audios than pushing his onkyo systems ..

Last edited:
"I was going through the power outputs and whether the speakers will be compatible.. can you confirm the above setups are good for the said AVR ?"

Check the ratings for these speakers (range of power handling and ohm) and compare with the output rating of the AVR (20hz to 20khz at 6/8 ohm all channels driven). If it falls within the range, the avr is good enough to drive the speakers.

"I will add active subs too if its stretches my budget a little bit , which one is good ?"

Velodyne and Sonodyne Roar series are good in reasonable budget (of course there are always better and more expensive ones). ideally larger the driver better, but not always, its very important to see what is the lowest frequency they can output.

"Also can you tell me does atmos (later upgrades) , other HD audios will be supported via optical or only through HDMI only ?

If so will the suggested avr able to do it ? i mean i am getting himedia q5 pro for media player , it has one hdmi and optical out , so both himedia and denon avr will be compatible right ?"

Not sure about these signals being run through optical, but through HDMI for sure.
As for your media player, I dont see any reason for they not being "compatible". Connect the himedia to the avr via HDMI and you are done.!

"Also kindly suggest other power management equipment , should i get a stabilizer too ? last time i didnt have one."

Depends on the power situation at your place. I have never used one in the last 12 years of me using my avr and never had any problems. If you have fluctuating power at your place, then I think you should get a stabilizer.

"80W per channel , is that enough ?"

Yes, for most speakers and the ones listed in kaptan's post. See my first comment in this reply.

cheers.

"I was going through the power outputs and whether the speakers will be compatible.. can you confirm the above setups are good for the said AVR ?"

Check the ratings for these speakers (range of power handling and ohm) and compare with the output rating of the AVR (20hz to 20khz at 6/8 ohm all channels driven). If it falls within the range, the avr is good enough to drive the speakers.

"I will add active subs too if its stretches my budget a little bit , which one is good ?"

Velodyne and Sonodyne Roar series are good in reasonable budget (of course there are always better and more expensive ones). ideally larger the driver better, but not always, its very important to see what is the lowest frequency they can output.

"Also can you tell me does atmos (later upgrades) , other HD audios will be supported via optical or only through HDMI only ?

If so will the suggested avr able to do it ? i mean i am getting himedia q5 pro for media player , it has one hdmi and optical out , so both himedia and denon avr will be compatible right ?"

Not sure about these signals being run through optical, but through HDMI for sure.
As for your media player, I dont see any reason for they not being "compatible". Connect the himedia to the avr via HDMI and you are done.!

"Also kindly suggest other power management equipment , should i get a stabilizer too ? last time i didnt have one."

Depends on the power situation at your place. I have never used one in the last 12 years of me using my avr and never had any problems. If you have fluctuating power at your place, then I think you should get a stabilizer.

"80W per channel , is that enough ?"

Yes, for most speakers and the ones listed in kaptan's post. See my first comment in this reply.

cheers.

thanks a lot , i think i will get denon 1200W + either wharfdale or Boston A25/26 which are on sale

can you suggest a good subwoofer.. i know this is not fair , without audition , but i cant audition at present :(

Frankly i cannot suggest a subwoofer as i have been using a super budget kenwood sub for almost 15 years now...but going by online reviews and comments on this forum velodyne, BIC or sonodyne roar subs are good...check what fits in your budget...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back