My Philips HTS 4750 gave me a shock

vktyagi

My HTIB Philips 4750, after giving some symptoms, hanged permanently a fortnight back. To my disappointment, the service engineer from Philips whom I approached privately has expressed his doubts of revival of the system as the system "has been discontinued". If at all it is repaired, expenditure would be about 5K for PCB replacement.
The problem is, the console is not responding at all although it shows power.
I will appreciate if I get a suitable advice from a friend for revival of the system as (a) I do not have funds right now to replace it and (b) I love the sound of the system very much.
Regards

what exactly happens on the display .. just frozen ??

did the engineer from philips opened it and check ???

did you tried the buttons on it...??

please help with detailed info.. people will be more than happy to assist..

what exactly happens on the display .. just frozen ??

did the engineer from philips opened it and check ???

did you tried the buttons on it...??

please help with detailed info.. people will be more than happy to assist..

When any of the source buttons on the remote is pressed after connecting to power, say "tuner", the console display shows "FM", but does not respond further. It freezes and no sound whatsoever is there.
Yes I have tried buttons in the remote as well as on the console but of no help.
The engineer from Philips has opened it.
As far as symptoms, it started hanging for short durations but issue resolved by cycling power repeatedly. Sometimes it gave very loud scream before it had to be cut off from power.
Regards

try if you can get the firmware rest.. might be some small bad component..

as you said it used to work sometimes.. so the major components must be fine.. might be a small glitch somewhere.. look for some reputed electronic repair guy.. m sure he will be able to do it..

before that try in the company if they can just connect the data bus and reload the firmware..

any kind of heating symptoms ??/ any burnt marks inside ?? any hot spots ??

i doubt it will be a 5k job.. company people rip poff common crowd....

check with the diy guys.. m sure they will be able to isolate few components which you can get checked outside for few hundred bucks....

Hi, I'm also facing the exact same problem with my HTS4750/98. Sad to say that this is the second time its happening to my system. The first time I gave it to one of the Philips authorized service center. They initially mentioned that they had to replace the main board which costs Rs.5000. Looking at the investment which I had made and my attachment to the system I had no other choice than getting it repaired for that hefty money. When I went to collect the repaired system, I asked for the board which they had replaced, but they gave me just the main processor MT1389 , saying that they replaced only the processor and not the board !! This happened just less than 3 months back and now it is again back to the same old problem. I hardly used the system in these 3 months (maybe, say 8-10 times!!). Really don't know what to do, but, anyway decided to go to the service center tomorrow. I also could see that MT1389 normally comes with a warranty of minimum 1Yr. Will update you back. Any other suggestions, please do let me know. I also could get the service manual so if anyone needs it, please let me know.

any kind of heating symptoms ??/ any burnt marks inside ?? any hot spots ??

No traces of burnt part, no smoke, no smell. You are right, it looks some small part is giving trouble. I will try to look for a good DIY guy and inform the final outcome. In the meantime if you happen to come across an idea that can work, please share.
Regards
VK Tyagi

My 4750 too had the same problem,took it to the Philips authorized center and in a week they replaced the processor for about 3k and now its all good.

Some more information about my system which is also behaving the similar way.
On last Saturday, I switched it on once again before taking it to the service center. Surprisingly, it worked for sometime.
Initially the FM worked continuously for around 40 seconds. Then it stopped with a continuous beep. Again I switched off and on after around 2 min. It worked again for around 4 min and then stopped. I tried the sequence "2 5 8" in the remote and it echoed the model and the firmware version number on the TV screen. (I didn't do the latest firmware update after the repair for the exact same problem). When it stopped working again after around few minutes, I could see there are some dashed lines running across the bottom portion of the TV screen.
Looks like a firmware issue ...or... something like a capacitor effect !?!? DIY gurus, if this gives you any clues, please.
Regards,

End of the day, my 4750 has been fixed now. I had to go for unfair means. The Philips engineer arranged the MPEG card for 3 K (overall) and now it is working fine.
Regards
V K Tyagi

Good to know this. If you know more about the specification of the MPEG card and where to buy it from, please post it here.
Thanks and Regards
JF

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back