How to extend Philips HTS speakers?

techrider

Hi, I was on a tight budget and bought a Philips HTS2512/94 system to enter the home theatre world. Currently its connected to my LG Tv through optical out and fell in love with the surround sound.

However my problem is the type of speaker connectors they used (Philips calls it 'easy-fit' connectors). The rear speaker wires are only about 7m in length and I need atleast 12m to put the speakers on rear wall without the wires hanging around the room.

Is there some kind of connectors or male-female type plugs which I can use to extend the rear speaker cable length by several meters without cutting the wires? I visited few local electronics shops and they don't have anything that fits my needs other than standard speaker wires.

Here's a pic of the speaker connectors:

tw5T1fd.png

If a ready-made solution is not available, Is there someone who came up with a DIY solution for the same? My knowledge about speakers and wiring is almost zero.

P.S. If someone can make an extension wire for me, let me know your price. my requirement is some connector like solution than cutting the original speaker wires as I would mess it up if I did that :eek:

I just saw the model, its size and price. Yes like Rupam said, you don't have to bother about loss of sound quality due to joining of wires. Simply cut it, twist it and tape it. Even soldering is not essential according to me.

Thanks Santy for that instructables link. Thats exactly what I need. I have spare male/female molex connectors lying around from PC. Now my doubt is about getting the speaker wire. How do I find what type of wire I need. At shop they said something like 10 gauge, 16 ,24 gauge etc. How do I know the correct type of wire I should buy? as I said, when it comes to wiring my knowledge is nil.

This is the link to the product specifications: Philips - 5.1 Home theater HTS2512/94 - 5.1 Home theater - Home cinema sound - Sound and vision

The reason I dont want to cut original wires is because of the product being under warranty.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back