My Stereo / HT Setup (3.0) - Marantz SR 5200 + Sonodyne SPA 202 + Diamond 9.2

elangoas

Hi All,

Wanted to share my Stereo / HT (3.0) Setup.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/dscn0729z.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/dscn0730d.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/dscn0791h.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/dscn0792va.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/dscn0817i.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/dscn0818r.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/dscn0820o.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/dscn0823gn.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/dscn0833p.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/dscn0834o.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/dscn0838w.jpg

More details.

LCD TV : Panasonic TH-L32X24D HD Ready (May 2011- 27K)
Media Player : WD TV Live Hub (Oct 2011 - 10K)
HD DTH : Videocon HD (Upgraded from SD to HD)
Receiver : Marantz SR5200 (purchased from HFV forum memeber - Oct 2010 - 10K)
Stereo Power Amplifier : Sonodyne SPA 202 (Purchased from HFV forum member - May 2011 - 12.5K)
L & R Speakers : Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 (Jan 2011 - 15.5K)
Speaker Stands : magma - HFV Group buy (Jun 2011 - 6K)
Center Speaker : Onkyo HTIB speaker which i had earlier.
TV Table - Custom Made (Made with sufficient room for amplifier)
Remote - Logitech Universal Remote 700 ( May 2012 - $100. My brother got it from US).

Future upgrade :

Stereo / HT speakers : Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS + Sonodyne Avant LCR 250 + Sonodyne Rears Dipoles
TV : Panasonic 50 Inches Plasma - Tentatively 50X50.

Few Doubts - Plz clarify.

- Whether FS will be overpowring my room size (14 Width x 11 Length) feet
- Also if 50 inches TV would be very much bigger as my vieing distance is Approx 9 ~10 feet.

Last edited:
Can someone help me in enabling the pics here... I had uploaded in imageshack...But the images are not showing up....:eek:

Yes ( in my view ) - to both your questions elango. Try better bookshelves.
Floorstanders are like riding an elephant. If you have a good elephant matching your room then nice.
But its difficult to get off once things don't gell well with the mahout u see.

I have been watching your posts reg sonodyne with interest - just caught my eye that's all.
BTW - is there anything that you don't like about your present sound setup ??

Mpw

about sound I cant share rather I want knowledge from u elangoas...about tv let me put my idea.
at 10 ft even 50 incher is small for a cinamatic experience..dont worry about that.
if you have the budget please go for 50 inch.also very wise choice about plasma.it beats any led in terms of picture regarding movie.it gives theater like picture where led will give u serial like picture.also if you can black out/darken ur room I highly recomend a projector at same price band of the spicific tv model you are deciding.since u have already a tv for regular tv watch,
Although a 60k projector wont be exactly at par of a pana plasma in terms of picture quality..still the size factor(wow factor) will let you forget every other small drawbacks.

otherwise a 50 inch pana plasma is best choice.semi hd or hd is upon demo what u like...

best of luck in future upgrade

nice pics elango.. neat setup..the more i see it.. the more i think bookshelf.

Please elaborate on what you find missing in your present setup.. then maybe that will lead you to what you are looking for..

rgds,
mpw

Yes ( in my view ) - to both your questions elango. Try better bookshelves.
Floorstanders are like riding an elephant. If you have a good elephant matching your room then nice.
But its difficult to get off once things don't gell well with the mahout u see.

I have been watching your posts reg sonodyne with interest - just caught my eye that's all.
BTW - is there anything that you don't like about your present sound setup ??

Mpw

nice pics elango.. neat setup..the more i see it.. the more i think bookshelf.

Please elaborate on what you find missing in your present setup.. then maybe that will lead you to what you are looking for..

rgds,
mpw

Thanks for your views mpw. Nothing in particular....I have always wanted to own a FS & I love them standing tall in the room next to the TV. Big soundstage than BS....

But what you are saying is right....Thatz what my dilemma is...

I have also given an other thought before upgrading to FS. I have a good rappo with Sonodyne Chennai dealer.. So thinking to get the FS for a home audition, may be a week Max & then take a call abt the FS. If they are overpowering, then as you said BS in a higher range would do better...

Try out at home for a week. That's the best scenario and you are lucky.

Its a fallacy that BS creates inadequate suondstage as compared to FS. If time and effort permits then try some really highgy regarded BS and you will experience what I am saying.

Everyrthing is built to a price and one has to find the optimum level at wich to float. If you find nothing dis-tasteful about your present setup... Then don't change in a hurry.

Do let us know the sonodyne FS experience.

Mpw

I have been watching your posts reg sonodyne with interest - just caught my eye that's all.Mpw

Thanx for the compliment mpw :licklips:. I am impressed with Sonodyne especially with Sonus 2605 , their Dipole surrounds, their subwoofer SLF 200A & Stereo power amplifier SPA202...

So anyone who is on tight budget and want maximum value for money, i have no hesitation in recommending them Sonodyne Sonus range....:clapping:

Hi elangoas,

I think addition of SSP Pre amp before the Power amp will still improve the SQ for music.

It is just a suggestion.

N.Murali

no reply about my tv idea:eek:
hehe just joking.....waiting elango as..and yes sonodyne fs reviews pls..

Hi Prosenjit,

Thanx for your compliment in the earlier post :).... Known is a drop, Unknown is an Ocean..:eek:hyeah: (Rajnikanth Dialogue)

I have learnt everything from this forum. Before joining this forum i had Onkyo HTIB & assumed that was the best in the world.. Only after joining here, i knew there were separate components & discovered my liking for stereo..:eek:hyeah:

I like to share my lil knowledge to the forum members who are/were in the same position as i was before joining here.

Yes.. I read your recommendation abt projector.... I will give a though abt it.. Haven't done any googling so far abt projectors...

so you say i would be fine with watching a 50 incher from 10 feet distance...I know it may be good for 16:9 / 21:9 content...

But what abt watching SD broadcasts (4:3) on 50 incher 16:9 HDtv.. I could see that the image is already stretched on a 32"Tv. How would that look on a 50 incher....

Yes.. If i get a Sonodyne FS home audition for a week, i will defnetly write the review here...(that will be tentatively around Dec'2012)

thanks friend for reply
see as you have already a 32 inch tv,so normal tv viweing is dedicated on that.
on a new planned model why are you considering for always watch..it can be a dedicated ht display for movie purpose only.if you did not have the already owned 32 incher then there will be confusion that what to buy.and yes at 50 inch normal sd channels look bad not only due to 4:3 but also for less data for a 50 inch(pixelation).in my opinion for normal sd channles 21 crt is the best good old trustworthy option.

and projector/50 inch plasma...for that you have to consider the disadvantageds for projector..but the wow factor will blow away all the disadvantages like room darkening,hassles etc...
otherwise 50 inch plasma is very good.take yoyr time and demo both projector and 50 plasma..and decide..

my point is when you have a 32 inch alreday for reguler tv watch ..buy something dedicated ht display for fullest enjoy at a particuler given budget

Hi elangoas,

I think addition of SSP Pre amp before the Power amp will still improve the SQ for music.

It is just a suggestion.

N.Murali

Thanx Murali_n.. How are you doing ? Itz been long time since we met.. Hope all iz well...

I am not aware of SSP Pre Amp.:sad: Could you please help me understand (or) give me a link...

Hi,

That is a lovely looking set up. I won't say anything about TV. I am a 2 channel music man and don't even own a TV.

I feel that your room needs a treatment. The walls seem to be totally bear and a window behind with very thin curtains. Is it getting boomy?
Personally I feel that bookshelves on stands look as majestic as FS. You can definitely think of Bookshelves better than Wharf 9.2

Please go through the following

Recently I did some reading on room acoustics. During the study, I found few good points about room acoustics, which are really simple to practice.

1) Sit in your listening position. Ask someone to stand in the same plane as that of speakers and ask him to clap loudly. If you hear echo, you room needs some treatment.

2) No two parallel surfaces should be reflective. Each room will have 6 surfaces. So you need to treat only 3.
--So my room has one big bookshelf (open, without any glass doors) and contains books of odd sizes.
--The wall behind my listening seat is covered by thick mattress.

-- I am in search of good mattress for the floor. I am not in hurry because , the sound is very pleasing even without any mattress on floor and there is no echo after clapping from speaker position.

-- Keep the window glasses covered with curtains (preferably thick).

-- As someone has suggested in recent a new thread, you may keep doors open if possible.

All this prevents standing waves to major extent but does not prevent reflections in Toto. Boominess is treated by these measures.

Reflected sound is very important in day to day listening and creates atmosphere of wider space. So excess reflections may be treated but no reflections may be as bad as too much of reflections.

Edit. I just noted that your center channel speaker is on top of the amplifier. Not a good idea. Top of any amp should;d have good ventilation.

Last edited:
thanks friend for reply
see as you have already a 32 inch tv,so normal tv viweing is dedicated on that.
on a new planned model why are you considering for always watch..it can be a dedicated ht display for movie purpose only.if you did not have the already owned 32 incher then there will be confusion that what to buy.and yes at 50 inch normal sd channels look bad not only due to 4:3 but also for less data for a 50 inch(pixelation).in my opinion for normal sd channles 21 crt is the best good old trustworthy option.

and projector/50 inch plasma...for that you have to consider the disadvantageds for projector..but the wow factor will blow away all the disadvantages like room darkening,hassles etc...
otherwise 50 inch plasma is very good.take yoyr time and demo both projector and 50 plasma..and decide..

my point is when you have a 32 inch alreday for reguler tv watch ..buy something dedicated ht display for fullest enjoy at a particuler given budget

How abt watching the Sd broadcasts on a 50 incher in a 4:3 mode...Is that a fair idea...But this also means that it will leave black bars @ the sides...

When i buy the 50 incher TV, i ll let go off the 32 incher.. So only one display will remain with me...

Hi,

That is a lovely looking set up. I won't say anything about TV. I am a 2 channel music man and don't even own a TV.

I feel that your room needs a treatment. The walls seem to be totally bear and a window behind with very thin curtains. Is it getting boomy?
Personally I feel that bookshelves on stands look as majestic as FS. You can definitely think of Bookshelves better than Wharf 9.2

Please go through the following

Recently I did some reading on room acoustics. During the study, I found few good points about room acoustics, which are really simple to practice.

1) Sit in your listening position. Ask someone to stand in the same plane as that of speakers and ask him to clap loudly. If you hear echo, you room needs some treatment.

2) No two parallel surfaces should be reflective. Each room will have 6 surfaces. So you need to treat only 3.
--So my room has one big bookshelf (open, without any glass doors) and contains books of odd sizes.
--The wall behind my listening seat is covered by thick mattress.

-- I am in search of good mattress for the floor. I am not in hurry because , the sound is very pleasing even without any mattress on floor and there is no echo after clapping from speaker position.

-- Keep the window glasses covered with curtains (preferably thick).

-- As someone has suggested in recent a new thread, you may keep doors open if possible.

All this prevents standing waves to major extent but does not prevent reflections in Toto. Boominess is treated by these measures.

Reflected sound is very important in day to day listening and creates atmosphere of wider space. So excess reflections may be treated but no reflections may be as bad as too much of reflections.

Edit. I just noted that your center channel speaker is on top of the amplifier. Not a good idea. Top of any amp should;d have good ventilation.

Thanx Jaudere. Yes the window behind has very thin curtains....I bought it thin because, it will allow light & give some privacy from neighbours window... When watching movies during day time, i have felt that window curtain needs to be thick.. Point taken for action.:)

Even mpw recommended high end BS over FS as they might be overpowering for my room size. If Sonodyne bring the passive model of Studio monitor SM 100Ak (BS) to Home audio, i would defnetly consider them.. Else i may have to spend considerably more..

1) I didn't feel the echo. So i presume they are fine.

2) Of the 6surfaces, only 1 surface is reflective.. that is the flooring...Other 5 sides are matte finished. So there shouldn't be any reflections from the walls. But the living room where i have the setup has wooden furniture (TV Cabinet + Sofa frame + Door) also they have sponge mattress on it.. Hope they are good absorbant of sound..

Except the floor, my room is non reflective (walls & ceiling)..I have not felt boominess.

Last edited:
It is good that you have not felt boominess. It means the room is in synergy with your system. However, if you upgrade and get boominess, do keep this point in mind. Matt finish walls will also work as reflective surfaces. Wooden furniture is good to have in the room. Bookshelf with books of different sizes is another one. A coffee table in center is also a good idea. Having anything of glass (plain surface) is a bad idea.
Many people say that treatment at the point of first reflection gives maximum benefit. Of course , this is not applicable to your present set up because there is no echo and no boominess.

It is good that you have not felt boominess. It means the room is in synergy with your system. However, if you upgrade and get boominess, do keep this point in mind. Matt finish walls will also work as reflective surfaces. Wooden furniture is good to have in the room. Bookshelf with books of different sizes is another one. A coffee table in center is also a good idea. Having anything of glass (plain surface) is a bad idea.
Many people say that treatment at the point of first reflection gives maximum benefit. Of course , this is not applicable to your present set up because there is no echo and no boominess.

Thanx jaudere,

What you are saying is right.. I will consider these points.

I didn't look @ the last point that you mentioned in the previous post. The center speaker over the power amplifier. The center speaker has covered 1/4 of the amplifiers ventilation. 3/4 has very good ventilaton. Should i consider relocating the amp inside the cabinet? Because i din't observe if they get heated..

The center speaker over the power amplifier. The center speaker has covered 1/4 of the amplifiers ventilation. 3/4 has very good ventilaton. Should i consider relocating the amp inside the cabinet? Because i din't observe if they get heated..

Seems that you have already taken maximum possible precaution. But yes, if possible, do consider keeping top surface of amp free of anything. Is the rack open from behind? If no, you may make some openings in the back surface.

Back