• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

My TCL UHD P8 55" TV issues

Wharfedale Evo 4.2

Colors6

Just got my TCL P8 55" TV installed today.

The picture quality is good.

Here are some of my issues :-

1) Prime Video is flaky as hell. It's slow, takes a lot of time to load andni am unable to play 4k videos. All videos Play in 1080p maximum.

I had problems signining in to prime video. I had to reinstall it multiple times for it to actually show the login screen so i could login.

2) Bluetooth issues. My Xiaomi Bluetooth audio earphones are having a lot of issues keeping sound connected. If i switch to another app or let the TV idling for a minute or two, I lose the sound. I have to reconnect by going to Bluetooth settings of the tv.

3) The TCL android remote app to control the TV is super buggy and very unreliable. i am unable to enter text using the remote. I have to use the physical tv remote to enter text which is a giant PITA.

I have been spoiled by firestick remote app and now realize how slick and polished the firestick app was compared to this joke of an android TCL remote app.

I've ordered a firestick 4k as it is still in discount today. I'll see if i can sort out these issues with the TCL android tv in the next few days. If i can sort them out, I'll return the fire stick.

Moral of the story - These new budget Smart TVs have lousy software experiences

Neeraj0272

Just got my TCL P8 55" TV installed today.

The picture quality is good.

Here are some of my issues :-

1) Prime Video is flaky as hell. It's slow, takes a lot of time to load andni am unable to play 4k videos. All videos Play in 1080p maximum.

I had problems signining in to prime video. I had to reinstall it multiple times for it to actually show the login screen so i could login.

2) Bluetooth issues. My Xiaomi Bluetooth audio earphones are having a lot of issues keeping sound connected. If i switch to another app or let the TV idling for a minute or two, I lose the sound. I have to reconnect by going to Bluetooth settings of the tv.

3) The TCL android remote app to control the TV is super buggy and very unreliable. i am unable to enter text using the remote. I have to use the physical tv remote to enter text which is a giant PITA.

I have been spoiled by firestick remote app and now realize how slick and polished the firestick app was compared to this joke of an android TCL remote app.

I've ordered a firestick 4k as it is still in discount today. I'll see if i can sort out these issues with the TCL android tv in the next few days. If i can sort them out, I'll return the fire stick.

Moral of the story - These new budget Smart TVs have lousy software experiences
I don't agree with you on many points.
1. Prime video is running smoothly for me. I tested just now 4k on Prime video and it is playing 1080p maximum but FUP has been applied on my Internet connection so I think that's the reason for this. This FUP will be removed tomorrow I think and then I will clarify on 4k tomorrow. App itself is stable for me. It starts up video at HD but pretty fast catches hoti 1080p in a few seconds. I just logged into my account only once at the start and so far I didn't need to login again. One negative appeared to me that video and audio were out of sync by a few milliseconds.
2. You just reminded me to test it's bluetooth! But in Iffalcon it was working ok when I tested bluetooth for a brief time.
3. No problem with the remote of both the Iffalcon and TCL which is same for both tv. However I wished that remote should have had dedicated play/pause, forward and reverse buttons.
4. I found my firestick "1080p" to be slower than OS on both the tvs.
I advise you to update all the apps and OS if possible through auto update route.

Colors6

@Neeraj0272
I checked for system updates. There were none.

all my apps are updated.

4K HDR works fine on youtube, Netflix, Kodi. Whenever I play 4K, the TV shows HDR10 on top screen for a second. Also, whioe playing 4K videos, if you click on settings button on the physical remote, you can clearly see HDR option on Picture tab.

This doesn’t happen while playing Prime video. Also, the Prime video is slow to load videos.

i never had issues with my Xiaomi Bluetooth audio reciever With firestick. But, on P8 it is a different issue.

As for the TCL Tcast android app remote, try entering text. If you are successful, then I guess my Xiaomi Phine has issues.

I will report back after using this TV a bit more

Neeraj0272

@Neeraj0272

This doesn’t happen while playing Prime video. Also, the Prime video is slow to load videos.
I checked today after my 50mbps broadband speed was restored and Prime Video is working at 1080p max. So it seems that this tv doesn't show Prime video in 4k. For now at least. App itself is stable but yes I agree a little slow compared to other apps .
But I think HDR is working on Prime Video. How to be sure?
Also how can we see what this tv is displaying like there is an option in youtube 'stats for nerds' or like 'o' button in Kodi where all the details about video and audio is shown?

Neeraj0272

@Colors6
I have been using standard on both Iffalcon & TCL after experimenting a little bit in the beginning.
Are you using smart hdr? How does this mode works?
I don't want to keep changing picture modes for the sake of watching hdr.

wstar788

Go through this thread,it may be that TCL does not have the certification for Amazon prime HDR:

Colors6

But I think HDR is working on Prime Video. How to be sure?
Also how can we see what this tv is displaying like there is an option in youtube 'stats for nerds' or like 'o' button in Kodi where all the details about video and audio is shown?
AFAIK, 4k and HDR go together. When prime video play, it shows 1080 at bottom left when play bar comes up. It should say UHDor HDR, I think.

I have no idea how to show stats on prime video though.

4K on YouTube is not as good as on Netflix.maybe because YouTube has more compression or the amatuer videos, I'm not sure

The best way to experience the power of 4K is via Kodi. Play a 40 GB Captain Marvel movie and the experience is dazzling!

I've no problems with picture quality on this tv.

The problem is the Bluetooth audio connectivity, software and user friendliness that i had become used to on fire stick.

Does your Bluetooth audio hold if you change apps or let the video app laybidle for a minute or two?

nomad47

AFAIK, 4k and HDR go together. When prime video play, it shows 1080 at bottom left when play bar comes up. It should say UHDor HDR, I think.

I have no idea how to show stats on prime video though.

4K on YouTube is not as good as on Netflix.maybe because YouTube has more compression or the amatuer videos, I'm not sure

The best way to experience the power of 4K is via Kodi. Play a 40 GB Captain Marvel movie and the experience is dazzling!

I've no problems with picture quality on this tv. It so happens that most HDR shows are available in 4k. HDR can be available in 1080p also

The problem is the Bluetooth audio connectivity, software and user friendliness that i had become used to on fire stick.

Does your Bluetooth audio hold if you change apps or let the video app laybidle for a minute or two?
4k and HDR is entirely different thing.

coolraghav

TCL android OS do hangs sometimes, once I did factory reset it was fine. You are in noida .. contact their senior managers, their whole office is here.

Neeraj0272

TCL Android OS is definitely better than my 1080p Firstick. I will check bluetooth later.

Neeraj0272

Connected headphone out to my amp. It mutes tv sound and is output through the amp. Sound through amp is clear and much better than tv speakers. It would be a good idea to use some outside speakers for this tv.
Also I maxed the tv volume along with the volume of my Nad c375 amp while pausing the running programme. Even at 100% volume level on both tv and amp, it was perfectly silent. I have to put my ears to my floorstansing speaker and even then I couldn't hear any noise or hum.
Sony Bluetooth headphones mdr-Xb650bt is working ok. I changed apps from voot to youtube and then back to voot and there was no bluetooth connection drop.

Last edited:

Colors6

Sony Bluetooth headphones mdr-Xb650bt is working ok. I changed apps from voot to youtube and then back to voot and there was no bluetooth connection drop.
I'm assuming you played the voot video for a couple of minutes and THEN switched app to YouTube.

I also do not lose Bluetooth. The Bluetooth is maintained but What is lose is audio when I switch apps.

Ok thanks. I guess my Xiaomi earphones are not compatible with TCL. I'll get another Bluetooth earphone.

Neeraj0272

I'm assuming you played the voot video for a couple of minutes and THEN switched app to YouTube.

I also do not lose Bluetooth. The Bluetooth is maintained but What is lose is audio when I switch apps.

Ok thanks. I guess my Xiaomi earphones are not compatible with TCL. I'll get another Bluetooth earphone.
I didn't check thoroughly but my daughter is using Sony headphones and she said that there is no problems.

Neeraj0272

I have connected my stereo amp to the TV via analogue inputs. if I don't want to power up my amp then how to do use only TV speakers?

Colors6

I have connected my stereo amp to the TV via analogue inputs. if I don't want to power up my amp then how to do use only TV speakers?
I really have no clue as to how tondo that since I've never used external speakers with TV.

I prefer to listen to my tv mostly via bluetooth earphones.

Also, the P8 tv has HDR but doesn't have 10 bit, so it's not HDR10 just simulated HDR 10.

I think only Mi 4x Pro has true 10 bit in that price range.

wstar788

Amazon Prime uses HDR10+ while TCL uses Dolby Vision,both are 10 bit but different HDR standards so I don't think TCL/iffalcon will be able to play any 4k amazon prime video. Of course I may be wrong also. @superczar should be able to clear this though.

superczar

Amazon Prime uses HDR10+ while TCL uses Dolby Vision,both are 10 bit but different HDR standards so I don't think TCL/iffalcon will be able to play any 4k amazon prime video. Of course I may be wrong also. @superczar should be able to clear this though.
If the HDR standard is not supported either by the display or the rendering device, you will not get HDR.

However the same content will play in 4K SDR just fine

Having said that, I am unsure about the specific model in question but TVs that support DV also do support HDR10 too.
In either case, playback in 4K will still work fine

Neeraj0272

@Colors6
Today is the last day of the return window for my TCL P8. So far I haven't found any significant issue apart from that Amazon Prime isn't running in 4k which right now isn't an issue as no-one watches it in my house.
Did you find any other issue that I can check out?

Colors6

@Neeraj0272

The prime video not being able to play 4K/HDR is a big deal for me as I watch it quite a bit.

I've had some wifi issues. There was a powercut and after that when i switched on the tv, it wouldn't connect to the internet. I had to forget the network and re-enter my network details.

As for the Bluetooth issues, it's slightly better when I'm playing content on my Apple tv 3rs gen. The audio doesn't drop when i switch apps in Apple tv but the audio does drop when i leave the Bluetooth headphones idling for a few seconds.

I've ordered a firestick 4k as I'm not confident that TCL will address these software bugs.

If these problems are sorted out by TCL in the future, I'll selll the firestick. I got it for a discount for 3600, so it ain't too bad.

When I'm having a better experience software wise on a 6-7 year old streaming device than the android tv OS, it says something about the state of the software on the TCL tv.

If the apple tv 4k weren't so dang expensive I'd have bought that instead of the firestick 4k but i aint Mukesh Ambani.

Last edited: