My TCL UHD P8 55" TV issues

Now the prime video app has disappeared from my P8 tv.

Apparently it will be available only for system upgrade happens which hasn't happened for me.

@Neeraj0272 prime video app still there on your P8?

Who do i complain to?
Yes its removed from playstore by TCL recently but you can sideload it, @Neeraj0272 too did the same coz he resetted his tv, which one I dont' know. How did I know that the prime video is gone from playstore? Coz I haven't removed the app and one day found that amazon prime video was not showing in my apps of Google Playstore. If you have downloaded from the playstore or sideloaded it and didn't remove than it should be present on your tv but not in my apps section of Google Play Store. Coz many people were reporting issues to Amazon and TCL by downloading from playstore so i guess they delibrately removed it. As per customer care new update will bring prime video support but when the update will come, no one knows. You guys are lucky that prime video works at least after sideloading or downloading from playstore, for my 50k31 none of the amazon original series works. You can at least enjoy prime video thought not to the fulllest but still content works on P8 and 55k31.

Last edited:
I really have no clue as to how tondo that since I've never used external speakers with TV.

I prefer to listen to my tv mostly via bluetooth earphones.

Also, the P8 tv has HDR but doesn't have 10 bit, so it's not HDR10 just simulated HDR 10.

I think only Mi 4x Pro has true 10 bit in that price range.
None of budget TV is truly HDR 10/10+ , neither Mi TV with 10bit panel. Go for samsung series 7 (onwards) TV for true HDR 10 (HDR 10 means minimum 1000 nits brightness).

I also own a p8 55 inches. Spoke to Amazon support about 4k content not being playable . They said it is licensing issue. Some television brands have acquired license and TCL is yet to obtain and hence limited functionalities . Prime video did not come with TV but I downloaded from playstore . Now it has even disappeared from playstore. Yes sideload still works . We need a system update from TCL after TCL obtains license from Amazon . When Amazon comes preloaded with os, we will be able to play 4k content from Amazon prime I guess.

Finally uhd and hdr working for me too in Amazon prime . Guess there was an auto firmware update or something

im assuming it’s working on the side loaded prime app as amazon prime app is not available on play store on p8.

i just checked on my prime app on p8. Still no 4K:(

Ultra HD working now on Amazon prime video.

Got an update this morning. When i rebooted, it had a banner of merry Xmas with prime video icon before it started the system update.

As seen in attached image, it says ultra hd when playing prime videos.

But, it doesn't say 4k anywhere on the app like it does on other prime video apps on other platforms like fire tv.

I'm just glad i am getting 4k now! :)

@Neeraj0272

Attachments

• IMG_20191225_130323.jpg
    IMG_20191225_130323.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191225_130118.jpg
    IMG_20191225_130118.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 27
@Neeraj0272 any suggestion if I should keep the instant power on feature enabled or not?

I have currently disabled it. If I shutdown tv, is it better if it's switched off completely? If I keep restarting tv multiple times during day, will booting from start harm the tv?

For long term durability of tv, what is better? Keep instant power on disabled or enabled?

Also, I have a apc 600va ups. Should I plug the tv to it? Any advantage to using it or will it just be a waste?

Any official tcl people or in tv business here please comment also

@Neeraj0272

The p8 plays 4k fine but it has issues playing high bit rate HDR 40 gig files.

Is the just released mi box 4k a better android tv box than the p8?

If not, any recommendations for a streaming box that can play high end 4k files well via usb drive?

Nvidia shield would be the answer but it's just too expensive at 30k+

Don't buy . Very bad quality
I had been having issues with sound when it came to 5.1 audio.

Thought maybe buying a soundbar will help. But, VLC doesn’t give those issues. So, it’s probably a software thing.

I think I will probably spend the money on the next android box that google is building and Will release this fall.

@Neeraj0272

Just got a system ota update. Any idea what this was for?

Edit - It has solved the sound issues I was having on plex. The downside is the tv has become sluggish after this ota update. I'll take it. The sound issue was really annoying me. If solution to that means a slow tv, I am.fine with it.

Will post back more if I discover something else new...

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_214402.jpg
    IMG_20200625_214402.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I had selected 'next time' and next day it was installed by its own!
TCL should give us an option to install any updates at our own discretion.
Yes, the new interface seems slower than earlier though Youtube is running like before.
New interface of Prime Video is definitely slower. Although I like the newer option of rewind.
Re Netflix I have to login again.
TV has a new option for Google voice assistant but it is saying that far field option is not available right now.
In device preference->about->privacy notice there is an option for automatic update, untick it. It won't update automatically afterwards but it will ask to update everytime tv starts and u can choose not to install.

Thanks. Can we rollback update if we don't like the update?
Yes i have seen it in other iffalcon model. But we need complete zip or pkg file of older version. But its not available on tcl or iffalcon website. Don't know why they don't share software version on their websites.

Hey thanks for the input I have disabled auto updates in TV, also I checked my prime video app version it's the same as mentioned by @Neeraj0272 but Prime original content is not showing me UHD + HDR sticker.
Is it because I have not signed in or because of some other problem?
My TV iffalcon 50 k31 with latest build.
Also the screenshot is of the Trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_195932.jpg
    IMG_20200627_195932.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200627_195948.jpg
    IMG_20200627_195948.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 16
Yes, the new interface seems slower than earlier though Youtube is running like before.
New interface of Prime Video is definitely slower. Although I like the newer option of rewind.
TV has a new option for Google voice assistant but it is saying that far field option is not available right now.

I have a TCL 55C8.. I have received same update ...
All TCL models based on RT51 platform probably have received same update.. few things noticed after installing this update.

1. TV Settings options integrated to android setting.. When u press settings button on TV the option now comes similar to android settings on the right side..
2. New option "Passthrough" under digital audio out. It was not there earlier..
3. Sadly, I am not able to adjust picture settings by playing calibration video stored in my tv.. Tried playing with VLC and Kodi... Nothing happens when I try to adjust the values.. but it worked if I played same videos in YouTube..

IMG_20200625_103813__01_compress28.jpg

IMG_20200625_113944_compress51.jpg

What you mean by the new option of rewind in prime video.. please explain more.. what version of prime video is installed in your tv..

Last edited:
Earlier I have to first press up button to bring up the now playing bar then press seek back or seek forward buttons and after reaching the desired position then press play button to resume normal playback. . Now if I press the left button then it seeks back 10 seconds. Also now the seek forward or back is like in the Netflix app. It brings up thumbnails along with time stamp which help in going to the exact spot of the episode.

Yes.. I just noticed it.. this interface is different.. Also noticed that there is no resolution info now.. earlier it used to tell if it's HD, Full HD, Ultra HD etc. But now no such info .

However, I am facing a strange issue after this update.. When I play local HDR files (in both Kodi and media center app) the human faces look oil painted.. I have tried all options.. But unable to resolve it.. I also don't see this issue in OTT apps.. so something screwed up in playing local content.. Any others facing this problem. ??

I too saw the notification but I didn't install it. I am satisfied with the tv as it is so maybe after a few days I may install this update.

the tv definitely has slowed down. It becomes even slower when I use my vpn connection.

Thinking of buying a fire stick 4k. I have come to the conclusion that if you want a slick experience, one has to get a stand-alone Dedicated streaming box.

im delaying the purchase because google, Apple, amazon will come with new hardware this fall. Waiting to see what new strains hardware they come up with.

dont want to end up buying a steaming box which becomes obsolete in 3 months. :/

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back