My TCL UHD P8 55" TV issues

@Neeraj0272

i think the search limitation is there in 4K version also.

I use JustWatch app to keep track of streaming content.

I thought when it was said that prime video was supported by smart tv it meant UHD content availability as well. Does that mean Mi TV won’t have UHD content on prime video? Bummer if that’s true.

UHD content is visible on LG sets. I can at least see it on C9. Not sure about other models.

Have you actually played and verified that this content is indeed playing in 4k?
I am asking because Prime video on my TCL TV shows me one or two content having uhd resolution with [uhd] written at the end of the title but when I click these titles then [UHD] disappears and when I play them these still play in 1080p.

Prime does show the resolution of the content while playing. UHD does appear, its mostly Prime originals.

@Neeraj0272

im assuming you are referring to the iffalcon tv because I just checked on TCL P8 and no update. Prime video still not 4K.

i think it’s just a matter of time before the update comes to tcl p8 as well.

@Neeraj0272

The prime video version in iffalcon .14 whereas on P8 it is .12.

It seems like P8 has older version of prime video and it's still 4k.

I think it may ght have to have a system update for prime video to have 4k.

Just a matter of time before my tv also gets 4k, i guess. I would still use the firestick 4k as I prefer the OS.

I recently bought this TV, the problem I am facing is they when I play 4k HDR videos on youtube I don't get HDR10 flash, on the other hand, if I play HDR content on NetFlix I get this option.

Can someone help me with getting HDR working on youtube?

Picture mode is set to Smart HDR

secondly, is anyone using this TV with PC as a monitor?

UDH HDR setting in windows 10 won't let me play 4k HDR videos on chrome youtube, it's stuttering. 1080P HDR works fine.

The desktop is powerful enough to play 4k videos.

@Neeraj0272
I checked for system updates. There were none.

all my apps are updated.

4K HDR works fine on youtube, Netflix, Kodi. Whenever I play 4K, the TV shows HDR10 on top screen for a second. Also, whioe playing 4K videos, if you click on settings button on the physical remote, you can clearly see HDR option on Picture tab.

This doesn’t happen while playing Prime video. Also, the Prime video is slow to load videos.

i never had issues with my Xiaomi Bluetooth audio reciever With firestick. But, on P8 it is a different issue.

As for the TCL Tcast android app remote, try entering text. If you are successful, then I guess my Xiaomi Phine has issues.

I will report back after using this TV a bit more
do you get HDR 10 popup in Youtube videos also?

I had a similar experience with my previous TV- a Philips 4k one. I thought at that time (3 yrs back) that I got a fantastic deal since it was a 4k 55 inch tv at 60k (that time 4k sets were more expensive). The nearest Sony at that time was INR 1 lakh + in the grey market :)
Image on the Philips as always was glorious- no stuttering, motion handling was superb, colors amazing etc. But Philips soon stopped supporting the TV with updates. So gradually one by one the apps started crashing or throwing errors- youtube, prime, etc. Even play-store became a difficult access. Everything had to be sorted through band aids like using a fire tv stick 4k, HDMI ARC/ optical would only give out stereo, etc.
Finally after tolerating these issues for 3 yrs, I decided to pay more and picked up the LG C9 OLED. Convenience and ease of use matter a lot in day to day viewing- just IMHO. I am just pleased today when I can switch on the in built prime app or Netflix and watch in 4k HDR without any tweaks / fire tv stick etc. The ARC supports Atmos so I know that the AVR is atleast receiving DD/ DTS without trying to see whether the TV is actually passing through the requisite audio. When I open the Apple Airpods case, the TV audio switches automatically to blutooth head phones. These things feel like a miracle to me after coming from the Philips tv.
I now focus on watching the show rather than worrying about things like "is this 4k" or "why HDR is not showing", "is ARC actually giving DD/DTS". Had enough of these troubles for 3 yrs and these things kept nagging me.
I hope TCL does a better job than Philips but lets see.

I don't understand why the update hasn't come to my tv yet.

You have the 55" model right?
Same here I have 50k31, No update. I can't even compare the software version as @Neeraj0272 has 55K31. I don't know why it is so. None of the prime originals except comistaan work for me and rest other videos works in Full HD only. Iffalcon customer care is worst customer care, they don't have any idea on issues with TV and nor they have any idea what to say.

Last edited:
Same here I have 50k31, No update. I can't even compare the software version as @Neeraj0272 has 55K31. I don't know why it is so. None of the prime originals except comistaan work for me and rest other videos works in Full HD only. Iffalcon customer care is worst customer care, they don't have any idea on issues with TV and nor they have any idea what to say.
@Neeraj0272 has 2 TV's TCL P8 and iffalcon k31.

I was enquiring if the P8 tv size that he has is 55" or not. Maybe software update came only for 50" models.

@Neeraj0272 has 2 TV's TCL P8 and iffalcon k31.

I was enquiring if the P8 tv size that he has is 55" or not. Maybe software update came only for 50" models.
That I understood but we both are facing some issue related to prime. You are lucky that prime at least works for you, I am stuck with non-original videos only.

Now the prime video app has disappeared from my P8 tv.

Apparently it will be available only for system upgrade happens which hasn't happened for me.

@Neeraj0272 prime video app still there on your P8?

Who do i complain to?

Just to clarify some basic info about 4k HDR TVs.

HDR10 is an open standard for supporting HDR on 4k HDR TVs. If the TV simply advertising as they support HDR on their 4k tv. It means that it'll will play all HDR10 format files thru streaming and via USB.

Dolby Vision(DV - hereafter) is the propitiatory HDR format from Dolby Laboratories. It built on top of HDR10 format.
For exmaple, if the 4k HDR tv(HDR10 only) receive the DV signal(from netflix/amazon prime/4k Udh player). It'll still play the content in HDR10, omitting DV layer which it couldn't able to decode.

Same applies for the HDR10+ as well.
Note :
HDR10 support static metadata only. i.e the picture properties like brightness, contrast, gamma and etc will be applied once for the entire movie.

DV , HDR10+ - both support dynamic metadata i.e apply them scene by scene or frame by frame.

I had a similar experience with my previous TV- a Philips 4k one. I thought at that time (3 yrs back) that I got a fantastic deal since it was a 4k 55 inch tv at 60k (that time 4k sets were more expensive). The nearest Sony at that time was INR 1 lakh + in the grey market :)
Image on the Philips as always was glorious- no stuttering, motion handling was superb, colors amazing etc. But Philips soon stopped supporting the TV with updates. So gradually one by one the apps started crashing or throwing errors- youtube, prime, etc. Even play-store became a difficult access. Everything had to be sorted through band aids like using a fire tv stick 4k, HDMI ARC/ optical would only give out stereo, etc.
Finally after tolerating these issues for 3 yrs, I decided to pay more and picked up the LG C9 OLED. Convenience and ease of use matter a lot in day to day viewing- just IMHO. I am just pleased today when I can switch on the in built prime app or Netflix and watch in 4k HDR without any tweaks / fire tv stick etc. The ARC supports Atmos so I know that the AVR is atleast receiving DD/ DTS without trying to see whether the TV is actually passing through the requisite audio. When I open the Apple Airpods case, the TV audio switches automatically to blutooth head phones. These things feel like a miracle to me after coming from the Philips tv.
I now focus on watching the show rather than worrying about things like "is this 4k" or "why HDR is not showing", "is ARC actually giving DD/DTS". Had enough of these troubles for 3 yrs and these things kept nagging me.
I hope TCL does a better job than Philips but lets see.
Exactly. However TCL in USA has some fantastic models which are closely at par with LG or Samsung. This is not the case in India. Worst customer care, bad service are the norms with TCL. I had to issue them notice to get the TV serviced in warranty period.

Exactly. However TCL in USA has some fantastic models which are closely at par with LG or Samsung. This is not the case in India. Worst customer care, bad service are the norms with TCL. I had to issue them notice to get the TV serviced in warranty period.
I think they are just dumping older models here as usual

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back