My Vinyl Wish List

The mid-50s to the late 60s is known as the Golden Era of recording, primarily for the following reasons:

1. The recording devices - mikes, tapes, record cutters -were Valve driven

2. Minimal miking - just one to three mikes to capture the entire orchestral field

3. Very little overdubbing - most 'takes' were live. Recording tapes were 2-track or 4-track.

4. Large reverberant studios that captured ambient sounds

5. An innovative bunch of recording engineers, like Rudy van Gelder, Roy duNann, etc

Later, you had 24 track tapes, solid state amps, tiny studio booths, instruments recorded separately, massive overdubbing, close miking of each instrument, etc. often mixed down by engineers unconnected with the original performers. Today, it's the same, but further sanitized, equalized, pitch corrected, over compressed, etc by Pro-Tools. There are exceptions, of course, but you have to search hard to find them.

If anyone has a spare copy of the Ben Hur movie soundtrack LP, please let me know. I had a tape lying somewhere, which I was searching for yesterday, but could not locate it.

Mumford and Sons - is it available on vinyl? I have two albums on CD.

To answer my own question - yes, Babel is available on LP. I saw it at Rhythm House the other day. Of course I didn't buy it. Because they are too loud (for my taste) for a folk/bluegrass band:lol: On top of that, their lyrics is pure gobbledygook. But I like them as musicians - they are one tight unit.

If anyone has a spare copy of the Ben Hur movie soundtrack LP, please let me know. I had a tape lying somewhere, which I was searching for yesterday, but could not locate it.

Hi Ruben, is this the one you are looking for?

Its a MONO, Indian pressing, and covers and sleeves are not that in great condition (1966 print). May be, you also need to give one good bath to this vinyl.

Though Im not good in packing, if you like it, I can gift it to you, by courier.

Pls PM your postal address.

IMG967.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ruben, is this the one you are looking for?

Its a MONO, Indian pressing, and covers and sleeves are not that in great condition (1966 print). May be, you also need to give one good bath to this vinyl.

Though Im not good in packing, if you like it, I can gift it to you, by courier.

Pls PM your postal address.

IMG967.jpg

oh, thank you so much, really appreciate the gesture. That cover looks all too familiar. Have sent you a PM.

Have been offered "The Burning Train" LP in supposedly mint condition for Rs.2000/-. I have never bought vinyl at this price point before. Is this a fair price to pay or is it a jacked up price as:

1) music is by RDB
2) there is a lot of stuff floating over the internet about the quality of the pressing, some rating it as the best hindi ost pressing ever (sounds highly speculatory)

Please comment. Interested as this movie was a passion for me when I was a kid and have fond memories watching it and listening to the soundtrack. I still watch is completely whenever it comes out on TV (the most recent occasion being Friday, last week on Manoranjan TV)

I just brought home Eric Dolphy Out To Lunch, new, Rs 695.

So 2000 is jacked up :). Highly. But if you must have the record, what can I say;)

Have been offered "The Burning Train" LP in supposedly mint condition for Rs.2000/-. I have never bought vinyl at this price point before. Is this a fair price to pay or is it a jacked up price as:

1) music is by RDB
2) there is a lot of stuff floating over the internet about the quality of the pressing, some rating it as the best hindi ost pressing ever (sounds highly speculatory)

Please comment. Interested as this movie was a passion for me when I was a kid and have fond memories watching it and listening to the soundtrack. I still watch is completely whenever it comes out on TV (the most recent occasion being Friday, last week on Manoranjan TV)

Hi Reuben,

The sound quality is awesome indeed. However the price for a mint condition Burning Train LP should not go beyond Rs 500. I will ask my vendor on the prevailing price in Kolkata market.

Have been offered "The Burning Train" LP in supposedly mint condition for Rs.2000/-. ....

Hi Reuben,

The sound quality is awesome indeed. However the price for a mint condition Burning Train LP should not go beyond Rs 500. I will ask my vendor on the prevailing price in Kolkata market.

Hello Reuben and Sourav!

I had posted little back...sometime in January. I was transiting through Kolkata (but how could I miss the opportunity to shop some vinyl). I was offered the Burning Train mint condition LP for about Rs. 800/-. I bargained upto Rs. 500/- but finally did not buy it as I still felt that it was not worthy. IMO, the songs are mediocre too, esp. going by RDB standards.

I have heard the burning train LP on a Technics 1200 and the pressing is really good; but assured that it's not the 'best' hindi pressing. In Kolkata, 400-500 should be the maximum price to pay if you have to have this LP:)

Trust this helps!

Regards,
Saket

@ Reuben - lemme check with my source in Chennai for 'The Burning Train' and let you know if he has it in his collection and willing to sell it.

Hello Reuben and Sourav!

I had posted little back...sometime in January. I was transiting through Kolkata (but how could I miss the opportunity to shop some vinyl). I was offered the Burning Train mint condition LP for about Rs. 800/-. I bargained upto Rs. 500/- but finally did not buy it as I still felt that it was not worthy. IMO, the songs are mediocre too, esp. going by RDB standards.

I have heard the burning train LP on a Technics 1200 and the pressing is really good; but assured that it's not the 'best' hindi pressing. In Kolkata, 400-500 should be the maximum price to pay if you have to have this LP:)

Trust this helps!

Regards,
Saket

There is a lot of nostalgia associated with that movie for me. I recall, when I was in Standard-IV, that movie hit the screens in Kerala, I remember, we had to wait for about a month before we could get tickets. Dad tried to buy the LP but they ran out of stock, as soon as a shipment arrived. Such was the demand. I guess in the late 1970s, these disaster movies were quite popular. I remember, when we finally got tickets, we went to the cinema as a family. One of those rare childhood outings. By RDB standards, yes, the music was quite ordinary but when Dad managed to get a tape recorded (from the LP), we used to play it and play it, till around the late 1990s. I remember he had Burning Train on one side and Qurbani on the other, 2 huge hits of those days :)

There is a lot of nostalgia associated with that movie for me. I recall, when I was in Standard-IV, that movie hit the screens in Kerala, I remember, we had to wait for about a month before we could get tickets....

Absolutely Reuben. I wasn't even born when the Burning train movie was released. Caught it once on TV and became a fan of the movie.
Even today, I try not to miss it if while surfing channels it shows up, despite some illogical shots and sequences and people walking on the roof of a train running at 160KMPH like talking a walk in the back garden...but yes, the nostalgia that you stated is what keeps us glued to the TV still.

Absolutely Reuben. I wasn't even born when the Burning train movie was released. Caught it once on TV and became a fan of the movie.
Even today, I try not to miss it if while surfing channels it shows up, despite some illogical shots and sequences and people walking on the roof of a train running at 160KMPH like talking a walk in the back garden...but yes, the nostalgia that you stated is what keeps us glued to the TV still.

The flawed shots add to the fun, hanging from the train windows, walking on the roof, the little train models running up the incline, the engine exploding at the end of the movie and even funnier, the paint work on the engine (a regular diesel) was not brand new.

Sorry all this is a bit off topic but can't help share some info. I actually read up some info in old filmfare magazines, this movie was the talk of the town in those days, it was released in 70mm and they had the guys from hollywood come down to do the special effects. They actually had shot a lot of the shots at actual railway stations with live props. They even had to dedicated engines and a whole train (new from the works) dedicated for shooting. They even set fire to a few compartments for some shots (which I later read that the railways sued for damages that were due but not paid). The guys moving from compartment to compartment by hanging on the windows was shot using platforms which they actually walked on with fans blowing breeze at them :) big cast, intricate story, very period-based, shows typical Indian lifestyle of the late 1970s (interesting shots of Delhi of those times which included Connaught Place place and of course, the famous vrindavan gardens was also included). Great memories!!

Hope I am able to get a playable copy of that record from somewhere.

From my childhood, the recordings that used to be regulars at home where:

Disco Deewane - Nazia Hassan
Boney M in Hindi - Mahendra Kapoor & Nusrat
The Burning Train - RDB
Qurbani - Biddu / Kalyanji Anandji

Then there was Shaan, Zamane Ko Dhikana Hai, Sanam Teri Kasam and Satte Pe Satta

As of today, I dont have any of these LPs but hope to come across them someday. Boney M in Hindi is coming home in the near future, thanks to our lovely forum.

Would love to get these LPs. The person who shared the scans is known to skin alive. Hopefully will turn up some day.

Attachments

• timirbaran.jpg
    timirbaran.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 107
  • jagjitkaur.jpg
    jagjitkaur.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 1011018_755992574413379_1144378152_n.jpg
    1011018_755992574413379_1144378152_n.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 108
I have also joined this vinyl club recently.
I have purchased Noorie,Nikah,Humkisi se kam nahi,Nazia hassan Disco Diwane,ek duje ke liye and Sargam. Eagerly waiting for my courier

Beatles on 78 rpm

A friend of mine has got 2 Beatles 78 RPM but will no part with it. The story goes that manufacturing of 78 rpm was moved from UK and shifted to India, South Africa and Australia and there are collectors in UK wanting these Beatles pressing made in India

A friend of mine has got 2 Beatles 78 RPM but will no part with it. The story goes that manufacturing of 78 rpm was moved from UK and shifted to India, South Africa and Australia and there are collectors in UK wanting these Beatles pressing made in India

A small clarification: 78 rpm production was concurrent in most parts of the world, including India, till up to the late 50s, when it was replaced by 45s, EPs and LPs. In India, because of large parts being non-electrified and the huge base of (spring loaded) manually operated gramaphones, production of 78s continued at the HMV factory, Calcutta till around 1966. As a consequence, many early pop singles of the early 60s came out simultaneously on 45 and on 78.

It is documented that at least 7 Beatles singles (14 tracks) were released in India on 78rpm, tho' there are rumours of a few more. (Also many of Cliff Richard, and definitely one of the Beach Boys). Aside from India, there were Beatles 78s also released in the Philippines and Venezuela - but in miniscule quantities, almost impossible to find today.

In India, they were released in fairly large numbers, but most have been lost to time and garbage disposal. Most owners had no idea of their worth. Their global value shot up from the late 80s onward, and Beatles collectors (the most obsessive of all collectors) worldwide have visited India looking for them in Chor Bazaar, Bombay and at the dealers in Calcutta and Delhi. They sell on eBay these days for between $500 to $800, no matter the condition, and the prices continue to rise. In Bombay today, you'd have to spend at least 20K at the dealers every time one comes up for sale, which is getting less and less frequent.

I have one, a lucky find at a raddiwallah for Rs. 15, but it's not for sale.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back