n00b question: klipsch rw-12d or polk psw505?

Stealth3si

My current specs:

AVR: Denon 1712
Front: Pioneer SP-BS41-LR
Center: Pioneer SP-C21
Rear: Pioneer SP-BS21-LR

Requirements:

$300 +/-

75% use for HT, 15% music, 10% games.

Listening room is 10' x 10'.

Maximum Height (excluding support legs, etc) needs to be 18"

-OR-

Maximum Depth needs to be 16"

---------------------------------------

I was going to get the rw-12d but recently discovered about port chuffing.

AFAIK port chuffing is too much air going in and out quickly if the sub is pushed to the limits and will shake and rattle the plastic part on the 12d. Is this problem common in 12ds? how easily susceptible is it to port chuffing compared to the alternatives listed below?

I'm also wondering how does it work airflow dynamic-wise since I want to know if the rw-12d produce port chuffing if i place the box on its sides, which I would have to do to make it fit under my bed. (btw, due to limited size constraints and traffic obstruction i can't put it against the front wall.)

This scared me so I began to look at other alternatives.

• Jame 650 but that is OOS,
  • SVS too expensive any budget ones?
  • HSU?
  • Polk PSW-505

which leads us to my main question posted in the subject line of the thread: which sub is better? Klipsh RW-12d or polk PSW-505?

klipsch rw-12d is occasionaly on sale for $300
Polk PSW-505 is currently on sale for $200

ok.....ignoring price differences (I can save up a bit), between rw-12d ($381) versus hsu stf-2 ($441) which one seems to be better, performance, reliability and customer service.

the specs on the 12d looks better but what is the actual performance like compared to the HSU STF-2?

Last edited:
If u r a serious bass lover wait for some time and save ur money and then go for SVS or velodyne subwoofers (SVS goes deeper down to 18hz and velodyne gives you tight punchy bass with great SPL's down to 28hz or 25hz depending on the model).but they cost you 50k or above.If u want a budget subwoofer like u r speakers take a look Astonia PS-2000 10 powered subwoofer AV MAX reviewed it and gave 4.5 out of 5.Weight and specs of astonia are interesting.It cost you 12,500/-.My suggestion is first start with Astonia and then after saving some bucks go with SVS or Velodyne.

out of the blue I think i'm going to get the SVS PC12.

yes it costs $450 over my $300 budget so i'll have to save up for another month. it's the only box that can practically fit in my area, less than 16-18 depth".

why oh why can't there be a cheap sub with less than 18" depth (a good sub w/o having to crank up the volume dial that feels like i'm almost there)?

is this enough for 862 cubic foot of enclosed space yet won't annoy my neighbor that is 20-30 ft away?

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back