N2X Bookshelves

Gijo George

Last edited:
Sorry. That question for soldering applies to the last two pics. I know it looks bad. There is contact between the points required. Except that it isn't done with finesse being my first time.

One XO done by HFV member Borg came out fine as can be expected from him.
The one you see was done by me :eek:. All the other solder joints on that XO came out fine. Except this one coz it had four wires (inductor & cap leads and 2 speaker) in a cluster. Tied a small flexible copper wire around the four to hold it in place before welding it. But didn't get it right.
THanks once again for that link.
Need to search for ways to de-solder that to rework on it. If you already have some link on how to de-solder please do post it.
Thanks

The one you see was done by me :eek:. All the other solder joints on that XO came out fine. Except this one coz it had four wires (inductor & cap leads and 2 speaker) in a cluster. Tied a small flexible copper wire around the four to hold it in place before welding it. But didn't get it right.
Need to search for ways to de-solder that to rework on it. If you already have some link on how to de-solder please do post it.
Thanks

You just have to melt the solder with very hot solder gun.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks

There is no special way to de-solder just heat and pull apart or best cut the soldered portion with a leg cutter. It's always a problem when soldering thick copper wires, the copper itself being a good conductor draws away heat from the Iron too fast resulting in dry joints. You need a 40W iron to do these joints properly. If you have a vari wattage soldering station try with a higher setting.
The solder joint picture that you have posted looks like a dry joint to me, dry joints are bad if your going to have a lot of current going through them.

1. Remove the enamel from the inductor wires using fine abrasive paper or a small triangular file.
2. Dip the enamel removed end of the wire in the flux paste.
3. take a drop of solder on the tip of your iron , move this flux coated end of the wire through this molten solder .
4. This is not required for the caps as their legs will already be tinned.
5. now braid together all the wires, dip in a bit of flux ( just enough to coat the braided portion lightly), flux is corrosive if you have too much it will eat into the joint in the long run.
6. melt a large blob of solder on the tip of the iron and and move the braided portion through this molten solder. Do no try to solder the joint by directly applying the iron and the solder to the joint as the Iron will not be able to heat all of them together very fast.

Last edited:
Sorry for the OT, the N2X's are a very good choice! I see you have not opted for the Platinum by-pass caps for the tweeters...

There is no special way to de-solder just heat and pull apart or best cut the soldered portion with a leg cutter. It's always a problem when soldering thick copper wires, the copper itself being a good conductor draws away heat from the Iron too fast resulting in dry joints. You need a 40W iron to do these joints properly. If you have a vari wattage soldering station try with a higher setting.
The solder joint picture that you have posted looks like a dry joint to me, dry joints are bad if your going to have a lot of current going through them.

1. Remove the enamel from the inductor wires using fine abrasive paper or a small triangular file.
2. Dip the enamel removed end of the wire in the flux paste.
3. take a drop of solder on the tip of your iron , move this flux coated end of the wire through this molten solder .
4. This is not required for the caps as their legs will already be tinned.
5. now braid together all the wires, dip in a bit of flux ( just enough to coat the braided portion lightly), flux is corrosive if you have too much it will eat into the joint in the long run.
6. melt a large blob of solder on the tip of the iron and and move the braided portion through this molten solder. Do no try to solder the joint by directly applying the iron and the solder to the joint as the Iron will not be able to heat all of them together very fast.

Wow thanks mate. Thats a detailed explanation. Will definitely take it step by step tomorrow.

Sorry for the OT, the N2X's are a very good choice! I see you have not opted for the Platinum by-pass caps for the tweeters...
Yeah I'm hoping it is :eek:hyeah:
Didn't think too deep into the platinum bypass thingy. Or else would have opted for that. Anyways next time for the N3's maybe.:D

A little OT, can you explain how you procured this kit in India and the cost / custom duty you paid?

Thanks

A few pics of the cabinet. The driver holes have been cut out by the carpenter. Not bad for a hand job. :D
jijo,
the box looks really nice.
the tweeter hole is unsually big, which reduces the strength of the baffle.
would have been wiser to get the front baffle done from solid wood, than 3/4" MDF since you are spending on a good kit.
anyway give some additional bracing for the baffle.
my two cents..:)

Jose andrew, the '75 inch mdf was as per Danny so instruction, so hopefully it should do the job.
Gijo, cabinets turned out pretty well for a "hand" job!

Late realisation that a relative had a CNC wood working machine where I could have done the baffles instead of the hand work. Anyways if anyone needs a CNC cut baffle do let me know.

jijo,
the box looks really nice.
the tweeter hole is unsually big, which reduces the strength of the baffle.
would have been wiser to get the front baffle done from solid wood, than 3/4" MDF since you are spending on a good kit.
anyway give some additional bracing for the baffle.
my two cents..:)
Hi Jose
Thanks for the inputs mate. Being my first time I just followed the cab design by Danny and didn't bother with my own changes. I've flooded him with quiries as it is. Another one with a total change in material and thickness may just drive him over the edge.:eek:
But something I did have in mind was a 1" mdf front baffle. But I would have to buy a 8'x4' board just for two front baffles. Thought I'll take it up on my next build.:D

watching with interest, as I am going for N3s, the bigger bro.
Thanks for looking. You might want to check out this dude making a X-SLS.

X-SLS & X-CX Encore, AV-1RS Build

and this link for the N3's. Man those are some amazing looking speakers.

My N3 towers are complete.

Should hopefully get my speakers painted by 25th.:yahoo:

The bookshelves are up and singing.:yahoo:
I got them up last night and had a listen. With an hour's listening, biggest improvement I find are the vocals. Compared to the Mordaunt short 908i FS the imaging is slightly better and soundstage is much better. I haven't been able to listen further today. I've currently kept the speakers in the main hall in my apartment and there's too much of ambient noise. (Read my 3 year old son) So will get back to you on that with further impressions.

Few pics

Attachments

• IMG_9204-Optimized.jpg
    IMG_9204-Optimized.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back