Nad C388 with Focal Chora 826 Good combo?

Hi
Do you guys think Nad C388 and Focal Chora 826 would be a good combination?
I listen to more of techno and deep chill house.
Is the Nad C388 a bright or a warm sounding amp?
My room size is 11X 13 feet

I believe you have already started a thread on the same topic, why another one ?

I believe you have already started a thread on the same topic, why another one ?

Coz I’m not sure if nad sounds bright or warm.. I read somewhere that class d amps from nad are not warm sounding at all..i want to know if it is good combo or not.

Coz I’m not sure if nad sounds bright or warm.. I read somewhere that class d amps from nad are not warm sounding at all..i want to know if it is good combo or not.
Good, no Good...
Warm, no Warm....

You are too confused my friend..
There is a saying...

System matching and personal taste are all important.

Thus spake Master Oogway :)

Sorry, not trying to trivialize your situation, but you are missing the most important thing in buying hifi equipment. Audition. I know, times are not suitable for the same. But speaker & amplifier matching is as important as matching of life partners. One should wait till the time is right for the right choice. If inadvertently got into the wrong relationship, either compromise and live with it. Or a 'divorce' is called for.
Your posts suggest that you bought something in a hurry. Try and see if you get to like the sound in time. Else sell and get something else. There are plenty of excellent choices at that price point or lower.

I have a NAD C388 amplifier and i must say the NEW Class D amps are amazing sounding amplifiers and are way better than entry or similar priced Class AB amplifiers, plus have tons of power to drive almost any speaker.

I had YAMAHA earlier and i will any day pick NAD over it.

Also I listen to ONLY Deep house / Chill/ Hip hop and I am extremely happy with this amplifier .

Am using this amplifier with PSB X2T towers.

You are welcome to audition anytime at my place.

Cheers

Hi
Do you guys think Nad C388 and Focal Chora 826 would be a good combination?
I listen to more of techno and deep chill house.
Is the Nad C388 a bright or a warm sounding amp?
My room size is 11X 13 feet
Two tips:
# Give your ears time to acclamatise to the sound
# condition your mind to believe you have the best rig money can buy

Then evaluate if you are still happy or not with the sound. If you are, just enjoy music and discover more and more of it and loose yourself into it. If not happy, try other amps and speakers to determine the culprit to make the change. While you are being patient with the setup, look at your source, resolution of the music you are playing, positioning of speakers and enjoy the incremental improvements. Don't hypothesise yourself for having made the wrong choices. Believe what you have is the best you could have. And let your ears prove you wrong before you take any decisions. Sorry, saying all this because we get too caught up with the equipment and forget to enjoy the music

NAD's traditional sound signature is referred to as 'neutral' by their fans and by most professional audio reviewers. There is another term called 'flat' which is used generically in the audio world. The definition of 'neutral' and 'flat' with reference to this context, essentially is the same. It is good to have an understanding of what this means or refers to before using this word as a reference point for NAD amplifier purchase or use.

Frequency response is a measurement of a device’s magnitude and phase output in response to an input source. It is usually measured within the range of human hearing, typically 20Hz to 20kHz. Any amplifier or speaker exhibiting a flat or neutral response is more accurately reproducing an input source, through to the output without enhancements in a particular area (or range of frequencies). In other words, a flat or neutral response means what comes in goes out at louder volume. The flatter or more neutral the response, the more pure the audio. Most fans of NAD equipment are chasing this 'purity' when they refer to this 'neutral' or 'flat' frequency response. As a buyer or user of NAD equipment, it is important to understand this philosophy. For example, those who desire listening pleasure over purity may not like NAD equipment.

Terms like 'warm', 'smooth' etc are highly relative, subjective and are based on perceptions of the buyer or user (or reviewer). It all comes down to personal preferences. For example if a person who enjoys listening to bright and sparkling sounds, listens to a so-called 'warm' amplifier, he can also review it as being 'dull' or 'lazy' or 'boring'. The other way round, if a purist listens to these sparkling sounds, he may refer to it as 'bright' and 'harsh'. The genre of music also has a role to play and so does the listening tastes of the prospective buyer and user. It is important to select or use audio equipment that sounds good to you, rather than to someone else, or in the laboratory :)

To answer your question specifically, NAD amplifiers have a reputation of being able to play well with most speaker types, makes and models. Hence the pain of mixing and matching speakers with NAD amplifiers, is easily avoided. However again, you may want to consider your listening tastes (genres of music loved and frequency response preferences), your listening room topography, the overall application and your equipment preferences.

All the very best with your search.

Afterthought: What is the definition of a purist? There are many definitions but to sum it up, all in one - a purist is perhaps a listener who expects to listen to his/her recorded music in as much, the same way he/she would have listened to it, sitting in front of or among the performers :)

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back