JL AUDIO E110 or REL T9X Subwoofer

Did not read through all the posts. Busy day today. I just wanted to say that there is a big difference between " Club kinda bass " and " Extended, linear, detailed low bass extension ". REL and Rythmik are about the latter. And that is not the kinda bass that will work for techno. Club bass subwoofers are made differently. You will be surprised to know that it is not exactly low extension that results in club type bass. You can spend way less and get club bass.

After sales Service… That makes all the difference …
Totally agree. In case of any product damage/defect he will exchange it. But he does not set up systems. Have yet to see a better after sales service like SVS.

OP, just an FYI but you don't need below 40Hz for most music. If you listen to dubstep or pipe organs then yes, otherwise if you are unsure of the extension of the music you listen to then 40Hz is a good bet.

For techno you will need something that "sounds fast". This will depend on mains integration and room acoustics. A Front Loaded Horn also helps here. Depending on how loud you listen your speakers may not be adequate. Also for techno you need to pay attention upto 250-300Hz, as midbass is the life blood of fast paced music.

Most welcome. I am certainly no expert & I go more by hearing what I like. But for your room size if I were to go for a single sub then I would go for a bigger driver, decent amplification & cabinet size for the budget. Between a JL E110 & E 112 then definitely for the 12 inch driver in the latter. You can always set the sub gain accordingly so as to not overpower your front speakers. But for the price of an E112 there are a plethora of options. Pls don't discount the Rythmik F15HP.

Regarding speed, its not necessarily always true that a smaller driver will be faster than the bigger one, eg the HT 1508 is supposed to be faster & more articulate than the HT 1205. Pls don't go by the "HT" term for the 1508. They are indeed musical. I had taken the time to find out from the net from people who actually owned the 1508 & used them for music rather than relying on what the Rel personnel told me which was also the same.
The 1508 did good for music, in fact better than the PC 2000 which was also decent for me. I don't have the golden ears to get into the nitty gritty & liked its performance for my tastes. Your room & sub placement will also affect the sound a lot & pls try Dirac room correction from your amp as it will have a significant impact.
I must say you've really given me some important points to be noted before making the purchase. Special Thanks

I am kinda convinced with the 1508 with your experience and it saves me a lot of money at the end of the day to be honest.
After all I don't think I am so good at listening that I'll be able to make out if I don't compare it with the T or S series in a A-B scenario.
About the Rythmik sub I am sorry to let you down with such a stupid point. But I don't like the look of it at all. haha.

So when finalising I'll go with the HT 1508. If i feel like spending more JL Audio's e112 is the one bro. I am so in love with that clean look of it.
Just looks sickkk to me.

Two Things one is required to know about power ratings. Firstly, peak power vs continuous power. Continous power is the average power that a speaker can handle on a daily basis without compromising sound quality or experiencing any distortion.

Peak/short term power is the highest power level that a speaker or a subwoofer can handle in a short burst without blowing. The JL is rated at 1500Ws short term/peak power. Continuous power handling in a sub with peak power of 1500W could be less than half that rating. However, despite JL not disclosing the continuous power, Im sure its an awesome sub as its very highly regarded.

Secondly, the larger the driver, the lesser power it requires to go loud and dig deep. For example, a 100w 12 inch sub will play much louder and dig deeper than a 10 inch 100 watt sub.

The ‘feel’. The force must be strong in you my friend. i haven’t a clue about the warranty that JL offers but i’ve heard great things about the brand and their products so you’re golden. If you’re inclined on JL, i say go for it. I’m sure it’ll be all that you expect of it and more.

Depends on the dealer and the model/series also. W.r.t prices and discounts, i was speaking from my experience with the Ti and HT series. Dunno if the same extent of discount is available on their S lineup.I’ve PM’ed you the details of my source.

Anytime bud.
Oh, Thanks buddy, I mistook the JL's power to be continuous.
I wasn't aware of the second fact mentioned by you.

So when finalising I'll go with the HT 1508 as I am a convinced by Nitin's experience with the same. If i feel like spending more JL Audio's e112 is the one bro. I am so in love with that clean look of it.
Just looks sickkk to me.

Got in touch with the contact shared by you for Rel HT 1508. Not a lot of people are even offering 20% to be honest.
He'll share the quote with me by tomorrow.

OP, just an FYI but you don't need below 40Hz for most music. If you listen to dubstep or pipe organs then yes, otherwise if you are unsure of the extension of the music you listen to then 40Hz is a good bet.

For techno you will need something that "sounds fast". This will depend on mains integration and room acoustics. A Front Loaded Horn also helps here. Depending on how loud you listen your speakers may not be adequate. Also for techno you need to pay attention upto 250-300Hz, as midbass is the life blood of fast paced music.
Hey,
Thanks for writing back.
With what you've written, is it that the T series from Rel would do a better job for me?

Maybe the T series will be able to add more information and detail to the mid and low range?
Some of the artists I listen to are Amelie lens, Boris Brejcha, Blot, Kohra, Enrico Sanguliano, Arjun Vagale.

TBH I think "home audio" subs in general would not be what you need, but if you insist on home audio then I would think either a 12" or 15" sealed sub might do. Please do note that home audio subs are often geared to provide extension and reasonable output from a small size, they often use drivers with high mass designed to go low in frequency, they as a result often don't extend well upto 250Hz and beyond, they also (IMO) sound slow.

To this end I ask you two things. One please link to a youtube video of one of your favorite songs. Second, what is the reference you are trying to replicate at home. Is it headphones? car audio? nightclubs? festivals/concerts?

I must say you've really given me some important points to be noted before making the purchase. Special Thanks

I am kinda convinced with the 1508 with your experience and it saves me a lot of money at the end of the day to be honest.
After all I don't think I am so good at listening that I'll be able to make out if I don't compare it with the T or S series in a A-B scenario.
About the Rythmik sub I am sorry to let you down with such a stupid point. But I don't like the look of it at all. haha.

So when finalising I'll go with the HT 1508. If i feel like spending more JL Audio's e112 is the one bro. I am so in love with that clean look of it.
Just looks sickkk to me.
Most welcome Suyash. If you are so keen on the JL E112 then better not to hurry & to go for it as the JL will always be playing at the back of your mind. The 1508 appealed to me for music/movies for my taste though tastes can be subjective. If it is possible to hear it before buying it, then would always be better before spending your hard earned money. All the best.

TBH I think "home audio" subs in general would not be what you need, but if you insist on home audio then I would think either a 12" or 15" sealed sub might do. Please do note that home audio subs are often geared to provide extension and reasonable output from a small size, they often use drivers with high mass designed to go low in frequency, they as a result often don't extend well upto 250Hz and beyond, they also (IMO) sound slow.

To this end I ask you two things. One please link to a youtube video of one of your favorite songs. Second, what is the reference you are trying to replicate at home. Is it headphones? car audio? nightclubs? festivals/concerts?
That's a nice way to know what would be the best bet for me.
here's the link to one of my fav tracks..Has lots of bass and power but the part that comes at 1:30 lets you listen to all the details.

Answer to the second question would be a night club.

That's a nice way to know what would be the best bet for me.
here's the link to one of my fav tracks..Has lots of bass and power but the part that comes at 1:30 lets you listen to all the details.

Answer to the second question would be a night club.
This song has a lot going on if you listen closely.
Highs mids lows
This is something I use to test speakers as I am so aware of every small detail in this track and I simply just love it.

I heard your link and this is not typical techno, more like house/trance, to me anyway.

Based on your reply I do not believe you will be satisfied with home audio subs unless you have 4-8 12/15" drivers. Also music like this has a "thick" end on the bass, for this you need more power around 40-60Hz. Ported subs can help with this. Just as an FYI, most nightclubs use 18" ported pro audio subs, tuned anywhere from 35-55Hz. Look at the QSC and JBL Pro website for 18" subs, for a frequency range look for something that is -6db at around 35-40Hz. Powered means that you won't need an amplifier, while passive means you will.

That said if you still insist on home audio, my advise is buy the biggest 12/15/18" ported subwoofer you can from a reputable brand, in this case look for a tune of 25Hz or lower. If you'd specifically want to choose between REL and JL audio, please list the models which fall in your budget and I will have a look. One last note of importance that with any one home audio sub your output will be limited.

I heard your link and this is not typical techno, more like house/trance, to me anyway.

Based on your reply I do not believe you will be satisfied with home audio subs unless you have 4-8 12/15" drivers. Also music like this has a "thick" end on the bass, for this you need more power around 40-60Hz. Ported subs can help with this. Just as an FYI, most nightclubs use 18" ported pro audio subs, tuned anywhere from 35-55Hz. Look at the QSC and JBL Pro website for 18" subs, for a frequency range look for something that is -6db at around 35-40Hz. Powered means that you won't need an amplifier, while passive means you will.

That said if you still insist on home audio, my advise is buy the biggest 12/15/18" ported subwoofer you can from a reputable brand, in this case look for a tune of 25Hz or lower. If you'd specifically want to choose between REL and JL audio, please list the models which fall in your budget and I will have a look. One last note of importance that with any one home audio sub your output will be limited.
got your point mate.
some options are as follows with the reasons I have in mind.
1- REL HT1508 - Only because it saves me some money and as per the reviews isn't very slow apparently.
2- REL T7i's Pair - As this pair comes in the budget, has fast drivers for music and 2 subs are always better than 1.
3- JL Audio's E110 or E112- I'd say they are pretty expensive but have amazing reviews, built quality and it is a brand from USA whereas RELs are from China.
if JLs? which one would you suggest E110 or the E112?

got your point mate.
some options are as follows with the reasons I have in mind.
1- REL HT1508 - Only because it saves me some money and as per the reviews isn't very slow apparently.
2- REL T7i's Pair - As this pair comes in the budget, has fast drivers for music and 2 subs are always better than 1.
3- JL Audio's E110 or E112- I'd say they are pretty expensive but have amazing reviews, built quality and it is a brand from USA whereas RELs are from China.
if JLs? which one would you suggest E110 or the E112?
On the topic of night club i would like to mention that I am surely not a bass head and that's not the only thing i am looking for in a sub.
I definitely want it to add a lot to the mids aswell.
because when having long listening sessions on average volumes I cannot bear lots of bass.
like I want a good fast sub.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back