NAD or Marantz with Mission 33i?

siva2886

Hi all,

I am planning to go for a pure stereo set up.
I have rounded of to 2 choices.

1. NAD C315BEE with Mission m33i
2. Marantz PM 5003 with Mission m33i

Which will sound good with the Mission m33i speakers?
An expert said that these amps cant drive Mission m34i pair, is that true?
I am not much of a bass lover, but it can be felt right?
My room is 10x10.
Am yet to audition both.

And can anyone please give an approximate price for these in Chennai?
ps: My budget is 35k.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am planning to go for a pure stereo set up.
I have rounded of to 2 choices.

1. NAD C315BEE with Mission m33i
2. Marantz PM 5003 with Mission m33i

Which will sound good with the Mission m33i speakers?
Raghu of Decibel chennai said that these amps cant drive Mission m34i pair, is that true?
I am not much of a bass lover, but it can be felt right?
My room is 10x10.
Am yet to audition both.

And can anyone please give an approximate price for these in Chennai?
ps: My budget is 35k.

rubbish. M34 (17-18k) has higher sensitivity of around 90 db and can be driven by amps with an output power of 25w per channel effortlessly. Over the missions - i strongly suggest the m34 as its got much better mid range over the smaller sibling - get some silver sand for the cavity inside and you are good to go.

And coming to the amp I suggest get an audition of both - the NAD suits m33/m34 better - the missions are neutral to slightly forward (with certain source material - read music) and NAD tames it down nicely. Marantz is an great amp 5/6 series) but the characteristic sound makes them unsuitable/less suitable for mission. I suggest Marantz with wharfdale more.

Get an audition but still my vote goes with NAD - search the net - most people are happy with the combo.

BTW whats the going price for NAD 315. If you can afford the NAD 325 go for it. (24K). That would leave you poorer by 42k but will give you overall better combo - 315 will go also but still see if you can afford the 325.

BTW the norge 1000 goes well with the missions too (if you can wait for 2 weeks i can give you a better review of the missions with norge 1000 - will get one over the weekend for home audition.

rubbish. M34 (17-18k) has higher sensitivity of around 90 db and can be driven by amps with an output power of 25w per channel effortlessly. Over the missions - i strongly suggest the m34 as its got much better mid range over the smaller sibling - get some silver sand for the cavity inside and you are good to go.

And coming to the amp I suggest get an audition of both - the NAD suits m33/m34 better - the missions are neutral to slightly forward (with certain source material - read music) and NAD tames it down nicely. Marantz is an great amp 5/6 series) but the characteristic sound makes them unsuitable/less suitable for mission. I suggest Marantz with wharfdale more.

Get an audition but still my vote goes with NAD - search the net - most people are happy with the combo.

BTW whats the going price for NAD 315. If you can afford the NAD 325 go for it. (24K). That would leave you poorer by 42k but will give you overall better combo - 315 will go also but still see if you can afford the 325.

BTW the norge 1000 goes well with the missions too (if you can wait for 2 weeks i can give you a better review of the missions with norge 1000 - will get one over the weekend for home audition.

Thanks for your prompt reply mate.
Ya, I can definitely wait for 2 weeks. Even I thought of the NAD 325, but its out of budget, my budget is strictly 35k, may be 1k more, thats it. :sad:

I will audition both.
The problem with Norge is, I cannot get to see or audition it in person and I am afraid about online transactions. Ya, I am. :eek:

Will wait for your review though. Any idea about the price of m33i? And the bass response of the same, in a 10x10 room driven by NAD 315 or the Marantz 5003?

Thanks for your prompt reply mate.
Ya, I can definitely wait for 2 weeks. Even I thought of the NAD 325, but its out of budget, my budget is strictly 35k, may be 1k more, thats it. :sad:

I will audition both.
The problem with Norge is, I cannot get to see or audition it in person and I am afraid about online transactions. Ya, I am. :eek:

Will wait for your review though. Any idea about the price of m33i? And the bass response of the same, in a 10x10 room driven by NAD 315 or the Marantz 5003?

okay m34 is 17-18k and nad 315 is around 17-18k ~ total around 35-36k.

Now regardign norge - trust Mr. Bajaj - maintain an online transaction ref. no. Many people have got stuff like that - heck i got my mission m35 after I made a payment in Pune and my missions got delivered from mumbai after 10 days (thanks vijay sales for that and their new found love for me :yahoo:).

And its not with room specifications and bass response that i suggested the m34 over the m33. The m34 has fuller and more richer sound overall - but if you like m33 go for it. Audition it side by side - you will see the diff.

BTW if its a 10x10 room - i suggest bookshelves. Though if you can manage a m33 in that room - you can manage a m34 too. BTW even with your m33 - it might turn out to be boomy because fo the small room specifications.

If you have no plans to upgrade to a bigger room - i suggest you try out the nad 315 + psb bookshelves combo

get the PSB alpha B1 for 14-15k and get the nad 315BEE (18k or less even i think)
its a combo that reviews says rivals much more expensive gear ( they call it the giant killer)

get the PSB alpha B1 for 14-15k and get the nad 315BEE (18k or less even i think)
its a combo that reviews says rivals much more expensive gear ( they call it the giant killer)

+1 to that. For a smaller 10x10 room - this combo rocks.

Mr.Bajaj has sent Norge to Calcutta,Bihar,Blore too.
some one on this forum was trying to get dealorship for south(jeevaboy?)

Hai all,

Getting NORGE by Courier is not a issue at all. Mr. Bajaj is a good gentleman. Pay to his HDFC account and he will despatch by UPS Parcel in a securely packed condition, I got my NORGE 2060 to Chennai like that. I remember he also offers a money back guarantee if you dont like the stuff.

N Murali.

slightly off topic - what is the quality of norge? Not just in terms of sq, but also in terms of build etc?
Another issue that worries me (not only norge, but other models too) is what is the risk for getting an electric shock? I guess regulations in the US, UK, Japan etc are very rigid and hence those companies would have taken care of it. Can't say for sure about Indian and Chinese companies - because we know what is the state of implementation of rules and laws.
I am very worried on this front as I have a small kid who likes to touch every electronic/ electrical item.

regards

slightly off topic - what is the quality of norge? Not just in terms of sq, but also in terms of build etc?
Another issue that worries me (not only norge, but other models too) is what is the risk for getting an electric shock? I guess regulations in the US, UK, Japan etc are very rigid and hence those companies would have taken care of it. Can't say for sure about Indian and Chinese companies - because we know what is the state of implementation of rules and laws.
I am very worried on this front as I have a small kid who likes to touch every electronic/ electrical item.

regards

well in my 1 hour of testing and "touching" :licklips: the amp - sadly there were no shocks that came my way. But i do have some doubts over the build quality - particularly with the speaker posts that could have been gold plated instead of beign in cheap plastic. Also the housign could have been better. Some one should write to Mr. Bajaj and let him know.

okay m34 is 17-18k and nad 315 is around 17-18k ~ total around 35-36k.

Now regardign norge - trust Mr. Bajaj - maintain an online transaction ref. no. Many people have got stuff like that - heck i got my mission m35 after I made a payment in Pune and my missions got delivered from mumbai after 10 days (thanks vijay sales for that and their new found love for me :yahoo:).

And its not with room specifications and bass response that i suggested the m34 over the m33. The m34 has fuller and more richer sound overall - but if you like m33 go for it. Audition it side by side - you will see the diff.

BTW if its a 10x10 room - i suggest bookshelves. Though if you can manage a m33 in that room - you can manage a m34 too. BTW even with your m33 - it might turn out to be boomy because fo the small room specifications.

If you have no plans to upgrade to a bigger room - i suggest you try out the nad 315 + psb bookshelves combo

Oh., okie. That seems to be a perfect price for me. :D
Anyway, I will audition these two and if am not satisfied will definitely go for Norge.

Regarding m33 and m34, its how the sound and how I like it, so that I can finalise. The thing regarding bookshelves is, I always expect a sub to complement it. Its psychological to me I guess. :eek:

Thanks a lot for ur suggestions.

Nice to hear that. I will audition them too. If the break my psychological barrier of bookshelves should be complemented by a sub, I will go for them.

The NAD definitely and especially the 325 if you can squeeze it in.

oh, okie. 325 will be out of my budget I guess. anyway, I will chk it out. If there are any offers/discounts, will grab it. :)
heard marantz is more musical, is it subjective?

Mr.Bajaj has sent Norge to Calcutta,Bihar,Blore too.
some one on this forum was trying to get dealorship for south(jeevaboy?)

I guess he has a strong customer base in here. :)

Hai all,

Getting NORGE by Courier is not a issue at all. Mr. Bajaj is a good gentleman. Pay to his HDFC account and he will despatch by UPS Parcel in a securely packed condition, I got my NORGE 2060 to Chennai like that. I remember he also offers a money back guarantee if you dont like the stuff.

N Murali.

sure, will go for it if am not satisfied with NAD/Marantz or if am out of vitamin-m.

oh, okie. 325 will be out of my budget I guess. anyway, I will chk it out. If there are any offers/discounts, will grab it. :)
heard marantz is more musical, is it subjective?

Well I personally prefer NAD way over Marantz so it's purely subjective. Listen and decide for yourself above all else.

Well I personally prefer NAD way over Marantz so it's purely subjective. Listen and decide for yourself above all else.

Ya, sure. I will listen to both of them.
You prefer NAD because of the sound signature or for the compatibility with ur speakers (wat speakers do u use?)?

both the nad and marantz have their characteristic sound signatures and should not be compared and that should be left to personal taste. Missions however pair well wish the NADs - the nature of the NAD keeps the missions mid range (which by itself is very good) in check. With Marantz - iy becomes too open.

Ya, sure. I will listen to both of them.
You prefer NAD because of the sound signature or for the compatibility with ur speakers (wat speakers do u use?)?

I'm actually not a stickler for signature. I prefer there be none and like it natural/neutral without any coloration. I even disable all the DSP settings for the same reason. I personally found NAD to have more detail and hence the vote for it. I've paired it with Wharfedales and KEF.

Of course the more detail could also have to do with better listening skills on my part so do audition for yourself.

both the nad and marantz have their characteristic sound signatures and should not be compared and that should be left to personal taste. Missions however pair well wish the NADs - the nature of the NAD keeps the missions mid range (which by itself is very good) in check. With Marantz - iy becomes too open.

oh, that feels good. will check them out. thanks!!!

I'm actually not a stickler for signature. I prefer there be none and like it natural/neutral without any coloration. I even disable all the DSP settings for the same reason. I personally found NAD to have more detail and hence the vote for it. I've paired it with Wharfedales and KEF.

Of course the more detail could also have to do with better listening skills on my part so do audition for yourself.

guess u have a great system and enjoying it. will soon check them and let u people know after making my purchase. thanks!!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back