Naim CD5 XS CD Player. Will it make a difference?

Morty

I recently bought a second hand Linn Klout power amp and Kairn pre amp, along with a brand new pair of B&W CM10s. The only problem is, I am currently using an old 20 year old or so 150 Phillips CD player as I can't afford to yet get the CD player which I want to - the Naim CD5XS. At the moment, the bass sounds a little boomy and the overall sound isn't as bright as I'd have expected it to be. I was a little surprised to find myself disappointed.
This set up was an update from my 23 year old system - a pair of Rogers LS7 speakers - which finally blew, which I was always happy with before they did so - and an Arcam Delta amp, however, I can honestly say that I'm not (generally) as impressed with this new set up, and I'm wondering (as it'll be a month or so before I can get the Naim cd player) can the CD player really make that much difference?

Last edited:
Bit difficult to ascertain the exact reason! Don't think it is a CDp issue.

1. It could be more due to a mismatch of the speakers with your pre-amp and power amp. Try a different pre-amp, if possible.

2. Interconnects play a major role, though it is less discussed. Try playing around with different sets of ICs. SQ would be quite different with different ICs. ICs would mean the connection between the CDp to pre-amp and then from the pre-amp to the power amp.

Try the above two before starting to blame the CDp. :D

The power/pre amp are, apparently, so I was told by the shop, an ideal match with one another. It was the shops advice also that the items I'd bought would be a good match - speakers/amps. I have some Naim cables on the speakers too.
They also told me that the Naim CD player would make a lot of difference. But for some reason, I'm not convinced. :sad:

You MISSED my point totally! I ain't saying anything about the speaker cables here. As such, I personally am not too convinced about any magnanimous change in sound with speaker cables. I meant the Interconnects, to begin with.

I didn't miss your point - I have decent interconnects. And I didn't say you did say anything about the speaker cables.

Last edited:
The power/pre amp are, apparently, so I was told by the shop, an ideal match with one another. It was the shops advice also that the items I'd bought would be a good match - speakers/amps. I have some Naim cables on the speakers too.
They also told me that the Naim CD player would make a lot of difference. But for some reason, I'm not convinced. :sad:

A Naim CD5 XS is an excellent product and should, by all logic, easily outperform a 23 year old Philips CDP. However, Naim products are also famous (notorious?) for sounding their best when the other equipment in the chain is from the same stable.

A home audition would be the best way to know. If you are buying the Naim from the same shop you bought the Linns, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Trust this helps!

I I have decent interconnects.

I too thought I had 'good' ones BEFORE trying out different ones (not necessarily expensive ones) finally hitting on the one which rocked my boat! No harm in trying it out. Its a lot cheaper!

I too thought I had 'good' ones BEFORE trying out different ones (not necessarily expensive ones) finally hitting on the one which rocked my boat! No harm in trying it out. Its a lot cheaper!

The interconnects I have now are ones that my dad had on his Linn set-up. We'd tried various ones before landing at the conclusion those were the best ones. As such, I can't imagine they'd be the problem.

Last edited:
Because of how the Kairn is meant to connect to the speakers (black to red etc) I had the red/blacks plugged in the wrong way around (which you'd think is the right way, only - if I'd had bothered to read the manual, I'd have known) - hence it was out of phase. Now, it's the right way around. Duh me!
Sounds much much better now. I think the Naim will be the icing on the cake.

morty,

recently i replaced my marantz SA series CD player with the naim CD5 XS CD player. Was lucky to to get one pre-owned.

The difference to the sound is quite amazing - but not in a direct slam bang way - it comes thru as subtle but discernible improvements in the delivery of the sound. This is certainly perceivable by the ear ( need not be a trained ear ).

Ofcourse this plays only CD so you will have to decide accordingly.

The other direction for you to think about is the amplifier section.

You may like to consider the naim all in one player in this case.

YMMV and i really recommend an audition ( preferably at home ) before making an epensive purchase.

mpw

I recently bought a second hand Linn Klout power amp and Kairn pre amp, along with a brand new pair of B&W CM10s. The only problem is, I am currently using an old 20 year old or so 150 Phillips CD player as I can't afford to yet get the CD player which I want to - the Naim CD5XS. At the moment, the bass sounds a little boomy and the overall sound isn't as bright as I'd have expected it to be. I was a little surprised to find myself disappointed.
This set up was an update from my 23 year old system - a pair of Rogers LS7 speakers - which finally blew, which I was always happy with before they did so - and an Arcam Delta amp, however, I can honestly say that I'm not (generally) as impressed with this new set up, and I'm wondering (as it'll be a month or so before I can get the Naim cd player) can the CD player really make that much difference?
I do believe in the source first philosophy and getting that right is what creates the biggest impact in your entire chain.
Although it is the weakest link which holds back the sound the most (amp/speaker/cable/source or even placement), the source, if it is not good enough, will never let you know the potential of your system..the proverbial Garbage in Garbage out

Naims are definitely one of those sources which you can buy even blind and if you get a good deal just go for it.

Agree in totality with Arj here. While everything in the chain matters, the source is ultimately what produces the sound and if it produces garbage, you'll only get garbage at the end of the chain, no matter how good the rest of the chain is.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back