Nak decks on Olx

kbhuvi

Hello members

Saw this ad on olx

The seller is from Kolkata. Anyone has idea about the decks he is selling whether the decks are refurnished or simply serviced.
I tried to contact him but he just reads the messages on olx but does not respond. I am not interested in buying but want to know if he services Nak decks. Any Kolkata FMs who know this seller or know about this seller?

Regards

I don't know the seller, but if somebody does not respond within a reasonable amount of time, a remote transaction is very risky.

I would avoid anything high-priced on OLX unless the seller is in the same city. It's been my experience that it's safer to buy from individual sellers who are selling personal equipment or goods on OLX, rather than from dealers. This person looks like a dealer (his ad says he has 25 decks for sale!).

does anybody know where i can pick up a NAK3 and which modes should i look for in a decent budget within 30K or something.

Dears, thought I must share a personal experience with all, just with the intention of providing food for thought.

Recently the reel motor gear on my Nak DR3 gave way (it just broke). Here is the pic of the broken gear:

Nak DR3 - Broken Gear Photo-1.jpg

Now, this is a common issue with many of the more recent Naks (the ones that don't use idler tyres) and most decks of other manufactures as well which use the same reel motor gear-based-drive philosophy.

I was able to source a local (perhaps Chinese) gear of similar type for Rs.2/- but this looked so low on quality that i did not even want to risk putting it in my Nak deck for a trial. With the help of one of my FM friends, I got to a source for original NAK spares, in the US. They did have the OEM brand-new replacement gear but here's the quote which I received:

$37.70 + $15 for shipping to a local US postal address
$37.70 + $55 for shipping to our India address

Though my wife was stunned when I told her about this, I wasn't really. I also recalled our recent visit to a BMW showroom to check out the all new X3. The price tag was 76L but in addition to this we were asked to sign up for a 2L/year maintenance contract (parts extra, except break shoes) if the car had to be serviced :)

Moral of the story, keep an eye on the cost of spares when buying high end stuff, especially if the item has had a longish run, You'll need spares at some point. And yes, if you did not guess, NAK OEM spares are very expensive.

Finally for the record, I opted for option-1 and the gear was shipped to a US address. My Nak is now back in working condition and as 'good as new'.

Who was the source of the spare parts? I have a dead ZX-9 now for several years. Original parts are almost impossible to get, even the ones scavenged from old decks.

I did explore the 3d printing option but found that, just like with building plinths for turntables or speaker cabs, we have to work with vendors or skilled labour/techs. We ultimately get what we want only if the person understands what are requirements are for. When I approached a skilled IT guy for a 3d print, he came up with a sample which looked exactly like the original but i was not very happy with the dimensional accuracy and weight (yes weight). These guys need to have backgrounds in audio for them to understand what exactly the requirements are. It was quite a painful experience.

Can anyone please recommend a 3 d printer i& also a Nakamichi repair tech n Bangalore . I am buying a Nakakmichi Dr10 which needs full restoration and servicing and the play, stop & forward buttons are broken and it definitely needs a belt replacement as well Im thinking of 3d printing the buttons and knobs

Who was the source of the spare parts? I have a dead ZX-9 now for several years. Original parts are almost impossible to get, even the ones scavenged from old decks.
whats the exact condition of the deck. mechanical issue or electronics issue
May check the ic on dd motor . If ok u r lucky else very difficult as those ics are not available

Last edited by a moderator:
I did explore the 3d printing option but found that, just like with building plinths for turntables or speaker cabs, we have to work with vendors or skilled labour/techs. We ultimately get what we want only if the person understands what are requirements are for. When I approached a skilled IT guy for a 3d print, he came up with a sample which looked exactly like the original but i was not very happy with the dimensional accuracy and weight (yes weight). These guys need to have backgrounds in audio for them to understand what exactly the requirements are. It was quite a painful experience.
A replica may be possible, but yes, it will need work.

whats the exact condition of the deck. mechanical issue or electronics issue
The deck powers up, and some of the front panel LEDs light up. The motor system doesn't work -- no movement of tape either for play or for FF/REW. I don't know whether this is an electrical or mechanical issue. The ZX-9 is not a belt drive model, so it's not a drive belt issue.

In my opinion, for Nakamichi aspirants, it is better not to buy these decks from sources like olx. For NAKs, the ownership history is very important. Also investing in equipment like NAKs should be considered a lifetime investment (and not like the 4-5k investment on run of the mill Japanese decks) so if Indian sellers are asking for 30k or 50k, why not import a good one from Europe, say Germany. A lot of Nak gear in pristine condition comes up regularly on ebay.de but shipping and customs is a barrier, Also go for the newer NAK models like the DR series as these are the newest ones available. If you have good DIY capabilities, indulging in the older NAKs is also a good option. Spares are available but at a cost, obviously :)

If you can't go the distance with NAKs, I strongly recommend a deck which was one of the best ever but interestingly nobody knows about it as it was sold only in certain markets. If you look carefully, you can still find these coming up on ebay.de

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back