Nakamichi 600 II

denom

Banned
Banned
Hello to all,

Have just joined the forum & immediately need help!!! Have inherited a Nak 600II recently & need help in getting it serviced in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai. Can someone please help me get this beautiful cassette player back to life???:sad:

I took it to a known AV electronics service centre where i was informed that the unit is fine save for the 'Idler' not working, hence need to get it replaced.

Await some quick replies from the knowledgeable folks here....

Thanks
Dave

@ denom :

Dave,

The Nak 600-II you have is a late 1975 - 1978 version of the 600 with improved electronic circuitry from the earlier 600. It an extremely versatile & trouble-free machine from the Nakamichi stable.

291ml3s.jpg

Mentioned below are some of the places where you may get hold of a FULL BELT KIT that would also include the Idler Tire (made of neoprene rubber) for the necessary service of your 600-II.

NAKAMICHI 250,350,500,550, 600, 600II Premium Belt Kit - eBay (item 280414447499 end time Mar-23-10 07:32:15 PDT)

Electronics Service labs Send an email to Jeff Galin with your requirements

Forum member < aks07 > is also an owner of the 600. Get in touch with him for neccessary info regarding repairs of the 600. Link to that page/Thread : http://www.hifivision.com/cassette-tape-decks/5356-nakamich-rx-505-cassette-deck-3.html

regards

Thanks for the info Audio Engr..... have mailed to fellow member aks07, lets hope he can help me or for that matter other members out here....

The 600II holds a lot of sentimental value, hence i hope to get it working ASAP!!!

As a side note, visited the Nakamichi site & was very very disappointed with the direction in which the great Nakamichi Corp is headed, I guess they will never be the same again.... too bad.:sad:

Why the hell did they have to sell the brand 'Nakamichi'???? Anyway, Niro may be great but at those prices completely out of league for guys like me......:mad::sad::mad:

Recd the foll info from fellow member 'aks07' :
"There used to be a great services guy called Naren in Panvel area who specialized in Naks. He has loads of spares too. I have lost his number, but you can put up a request in the forum. Someone will surely know about him."

I request all of the fellow members here to please help & send the contact nos. of this gentleman (Naren) so that I can get my 600II running!!!

denom ji

I will scan the service manual and email to you. Please give me a couple of days.

Meanwhile, can you tell us what is the exact problem that prevents normal operation ? Maybe we can remote service your machine.

Be aware that new age technicians wouldn't have a clue on a Nak so make an effort to find an experienced guy who has actually worked on them.

new-age tech people scr**ing completely the Nak.
You too seem to have had close encounters with these yahoos ;)

I agree with you on the idler tyre. It can deteriorate if the machine was not used for a long time.

NAK 600 is so simple that its actually breathtaking! Simple but highly engineered.

Last edited:
I have a Nak CR2 and its a simple 2 head cassette deck........my discrete head nak decks give more trouble than the simple naks that i have........:cool:)
But I like the tape winding speed of the heavy mechanism naks..........they are so fast like the DAT tapes........

Finally managed to zero in on a chap who knows NAKs, guy called Sanjay Raut in Shivaji Park, Name of his Shop ( AVC Incorporated). He will give me the status of whats ailing my 600II in a couple of days, lets hope he fixes it soon....

hi denom,

i understand that the nak you have holds sentimental value for you - and hope that the man can get it up to speed for you-

that said- i have learned from the past not to repair old things with moving mechanical parts - especially when metal and rubber parts are conjoined to form a mechanical device-

just like old washing machines - it is best not to agonise about how to get them working again - look for new and better:)

*THROWS ON A FLAMEPROOF SUIT*

Last edited:
Hi Suri,

Wow, the Legend of this forum replies to my humble post!!!
You are right, my mind says so but my damn heart refuses to listen!!!
Maybe 1 day I will bypass the heart & take all decisions without being emotional, but till then I have no choice & will continue to get burned!!! (Hope your flameproof suit is working!!!)

but ... but saar its a NAK onlee and the new one would not be that :)

hi aks07- meant that denom could find a newer source - NOT a newer NAK-

engineering masterpieces- yes

desirable collector items - yes

have one in the family = do not sell

but trying to use A Nak tape machine as source somewhat restricts your choice of music, na?

and denom might want to listen to lady GaGa?:)

regds

hi aks07- meant that denom could find a newer source - NOT a newer NAK-

engineering masterpieces- yes

desirable collector items - yes

have one in the family = do not sell

but trying to use A Nak tape machine as source somewhat restricts your choice of music, na?

and denom might want to listen to lady GaGa?:)

regds
Absolutely. Vinyl of tape cant be the primary source for today's music.

No wonder today the largest music company in India is not Saregama or EMI, but Airtel.

About lady gaga I just adore watching her on TV. As long as the volume is in mute ;)

No wonder today the largest music company in India is not Saregama or EMI, but Airtel.

About lady gaga I just adore watching her on TV. As long as the volume is in mute ;)

aks07, that is an eye-opener - and points to the fact that the majority population are too busy doing their jobs, fighting, making love, eating, being with friends, socializing - and do not have the time to listen to (and enjoy) music as primary activity-

most people like music as long as it does not intrude on the other main activity that the person is involved in.

vinyl in germany is on a better footing? - i heard?

Hi Suri,

Tape is not my primary source, but an add on (cannot forget 350 odd tapes lying with me, now can I???) As for restricting myself to old stuff, sorry to disappoint you but have nearly 500 gb of new stuff on HDD/CD/DVD/pen drive.....
As for Lady(I seriously doubt) Gaga, less said the better (My TV goes Blind & on Mute) when she/he/it comes on......:cool:

Last edited:
As for restricting myself to old stuff, sorry to disappoint you but have nearly 500 gb of new stuff on HDD/CD/DVD/pen drive.....

Hey denom - good for you - hope the new stuff is WAV/FLAC/Lossless codec and not MP3 - otherwise it might not compare to the NAK and the analog tapes..

As for Lady(I seriously doubt) Gaga, less said the better (My TV goes Blind & on Mute) when she/he/it comes on......:cool:

:confused: i thought Lady Gaga was pretty cool? -

edit - because aks07 and denom did not think much of lady gaga - had doubts about my last listen - and thought would give the cd a spin-
hey, her recording engineers are good, pretty good much of it, though she probably uses what most artistes use to get the tone right (cranky knows the name- slips my mind...)

Last edited:
Finally got my 600II back from service today, had placed it in the hands of Mr. Sanjay Raut of 'AVC Incorporated', Dadar, who was entrusted to bringing the 600II back to life, on recommendation from an acquaintance of mine.....
Have been playing it since late evening with them cassettes lined up one by one:yahoo: pre-recorded/recorded, mainly painstakingly recorded ones on Sony's/TDK's/Nakamichi's/Maxells.....

Am very happy today as the 600II is alive & kicking today & is being put to active service after nearly 20 years of being lying idle & forgotten....:sad:

Apparently, only a good service & replacement of 2 plastic gears was needed.
Hail the mighty Nakamichi:clapping::clapping::clapping:

PS: Mr.Ashok AKA aks07, am still waiting for the service manual...... more than a couple of days have passed by.....:rolleyes:

denom ji

I will scan the service manual and email to you. Please give me a couple of days.

Meanwhile, can you tell us what is the exact problem that prevents normal operation ? Maybe we can remote service your machine.

Be aware that new age technicians wouldn't have a clue on a Nak so make an effort to find an experienced guy who has actually worked on them.

sorry for this delay. Huge personal problems at home.

Couple of days ago I emailed to you the Operations and Service Manual. Both the documents (about 80 pages total) contain a wealth of information. Hope they are helpful. Gives a deep insite on how a research driven audio company made stuff during its heydays.

Please accept my apologies again.

Hey Denom, good to hear that your Casettle player is fixed and working well.

Did you inherit the entire Nak "System One" or just the 600 Casette player? While I was looking for a good pre-amp, I had come across a Nak 610 pre amp, but the seller (a dealer pretending to be an audiophile) was trying to pull a fast one on me (price-wise) so did not even try an audition. But I was generally interested in these wedge shaped beauties and did some reading on it at that time and have this link that may be of interest for you.

Checkout this link, owner has very painstakingly collected and completed his Nak System One including the rack.

Nakamichi System-One ? Comprising of rack mounted 600, 610, 620 and 630 Components. - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back