NAS server: Need urgent help.

Hi Guys

I want to set up a NAS server in my home to connect with different laptops and streaming players and if possible my TV.

I dont have much idea hence i need a device which is very easy to set up.

i have a friend going to USA next week so i can probably order one from USA.

would you recommend something like the WD my book LIVE or a buy a NAS enclosure and a separate HDD.

My basic uses are:

To store all my data on the HDD.

I am willing to spend around 15k for the whole package and considering it is much cheaper in US i could get a good deal on a higher end product.

stream FLACs and movies to play from my laptop/media streaming devices like WD LIVE TV.

Hi Guys

I want to set up a NAS server in my home to connect with different laptops and streaming players and if possible my TV.

I am willing to spend around 15k for the whole package and considering it is much cheaper in US i could get a good deal on a higher end product.

Check out Synology and QNAP products, Although the $$ rates are pretty sucky right now !! :(

Make sure that these products can be brought out without paying customs. otherwise, its better you buy them locally.

Also, your budget is quite low. You will get just a NAS enclosure, you will have to spend another 10k+ for hdds!!

10K? You must be joking-a single drive will cost you more! Also look at ReadyNAS products. If you are on a tight budget then choices and capacity both get limited. A 2 Bay is the max you can get, though a 4Bay is a better bet.

Hi Guys

I dont have much idea hence i need a device which is very easy to set up.

i have a friend going to USA next week so i can probably order one from USA.

would you recommend something like the WD my book LIVE or a buy a NAS enclosure and a separate HDD.

My basic uses are:

To store all my data on the HDD.

stream FLACs and movies to play from my laptop/media streaming devices like WD LIVE TV.

decide on the storage space you content with. and if you need scalability first. if u believe me its never enough !!! so thats your first call. depending on this we can guide you on going for a single drive / 2 bay or 4bay options.

in your budget, you may go with a 2TB drive to start with and a DIY device for nas functionality and add hdds later when you wish to grow the storage space. most of us here can help you set one up with ease. you might also find ready made solutions if u need.

as for sourcing from abroad you can go for this Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home 3 TB External Hard Drive STAM3000100, Black: Electronics and it immediately gives you 3tb of space. plus this device is very hackable or you can simply add another 2/3tb external usb hdd to it in future

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back