Natural sounding albums in this digital era

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
These series can be confusing for a collector as many a times they are same performances regrouped and/or relabelled. I have a few such duplicates. Another thing they do is cut a raga performance, especially the aalap and vilambit sections to fit in many performances/ragas into one CD. That’s really bad as nothing’s comparable to listening an entire khyal performance over an hour in one sitting. Not talking about Sangeet Sartaj in particular, but classical CD series overall.
Yes. The purpose behind these series, from my limited experience, would be an introduction to the artist for a newcomer. For the connoisseur this can be a source of frustration.

Audiorec classics, a small label from the UK releases some stellar recordings. I have been listening to Ustad Amjad Ali Khan's "Touch Of Class" since yesterday night (I've included the links to spotify and Gaana below).

Interestingly, the discogs page for the parent Audiorec label shows a few of 90s bollywood CDs as well

To quote from the product listing:
Once again, this small south London Company comes up with high quality Indian music. Khan plays the Sarod (a sort of bass version of the sitar) and is the sixth generation Sarod player in his family. His style is relaxed, subtle and supple and exudes tremendous warmth. The balance of technique and creativity in Indian music allows for more openness in performance compared with other classical music's. Khan's playing carries with it not only a personal authority, but a history of authority, yet he's able to improvise and create on the spot within the music's framework. Well worth seeking out.
- [Very Good, outstanding quality] Ken Hyder, Hi-Fi News & Record Review February 1992.

Last edited:
Audiorec classics, a small label from the UK releases some stellar recordings. I have been listening to Ustad Amjad Ali Khan's "Touch Of Class" since yesterday night (I've included the links to spotify and Gaana below).

Interestingly, the discogs page for the parent Audiorec label shows a few of 90s bollywood CDs as well

To quote from the product listing:

Thanks. Listening to on Tidal. Clear recording, the taans and meends come out completely and melodically. Almost no noise floor. And the tabla (must be Namdhari, his usual accompanist) is exceptionally tight. Wish the drone was a bit louder for the resonance.

Shall look out for other albums on their website.

Update: Glad to report that most of the Audiorec albums are on Tidal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric Clapton: Crossroads
The 4xLP box set. (Including his work with Cream, Blind faith, Derek & the dominos, John Mayall's Bluebreakers, Yardbirds and many solos)

Check out this website by Brian Davies for his die hard fans.

F3D30E1C-457A-40B5-B228-8EC115A39DF0.jpeg

While big labels today (RPG, Sony, Universal) fail to impress, you rejoice when you find an old gem from smaller labels.

This album by Ustad Rashid Khan by Kolkata based Atlantis and Mumbai based Crescendo is of unknown vintage. I bought it from an old CD reseller. Even the CD cover is bare minimal.

But the recording? It’s superb! You can hear the microtones in Rashid Khan’s golden voice clearly - and that’s very important in classical music. Overall noise floor is low and it sounds natural and calm - no artificial loudness here. His swaramandal never sounded sweeter and clearer (and I have about 6-8 other CDs of him). The placement and tonality of the harmonium, tabla, drone is all so realistic! See if you get to listen to it on any streaming site.

One wonders what would have been if the smaller labels had survived and not gobbled up by the sharks. Usually they were led by musically competent guys and not the commercial managers of the bigger labels.

Last edited by a moderator:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back