Nee Thane En Ponvasantham (NEPV)- Ilayaraja!!!

No doubt the songs are catchy. But the hype will soon fade and It won't linger long unlike his golden oldies. Yuvan's tracks remind me of his own composition. Also too much western style. May be the movie demands that. In short, the songs are good but nothing to brag about or exceptional. I still feel he was the best in 80's and early 90s.

I think the songs will feel to be ordinary especially for Malayalee listeners as Ilayaraja was busy recently in Malayalam with Sathyan Anthikad's films, and the background score of many tracks of NEPV much resembles his recent tracks in Malayalam.
Heard couple of songs casually, but not much impressed yet, don't know if opinion will change later.

Few Songs were good but not rocking like vinnei thaandi varuvaaya and not up to the hype. Ilayaraya's 90s collections were best.

Though I liked Kaatri konjam..,Yennodu vaa vaa endru solla maatane..and saaynthu saaynthu is ok.

I hope songs will be well suited for movie.

Last edited:
Am not criticizing the songs or Raja Sir, but this is not his best, In My Humble Opinion.

Get your point buddy...Infact few of my colleagues did feel the same way as you did.

This is a complete western type composition... May be that is what Gowtham menon demanded...

Hi all,

It is a fact that NEPV songs are not his best, agreed. But there are innumerable songs by him, which did not click due to poor filming or bad films. I think Raja for this film has played into GVMs hands and the director was sure for one, what he was being delivered. But on the other hand, this songs are very different, and bring in whiff of fresh air.

Pl excuse me, as I have to cut short this post, for "Why this kolaveri?" is playing on FM and I want to hit "likes" icon in youtube to make it the 3 millionth time. :yahoo:

N.Murali

Have heard only a few songs that too only in the mp3 format.Yet to get an audio cd.So will reserve my opinion till i play one with my stereo.

Guys, every one are entitled to have their own opinions.But to say the songs are not like his 80's and 90's albums, is stretching things a little too far.If he has done the songs with 80's feel we would have surely felt Raja has not moved along with the times.So come away from his old albums and hear NEPV with an open mind.

cheers,
sri

Not surprised to see the mixed response here. Just came out my hibernation and watched the movie (twice in the last week) and just got hold of the audio. And boy, the music is simply terrific and definitely as good as anything else I have listened to in the past 10 years or so. As far the songs go, only let down in my opinion is the lyrics. "Satru Munbu" does create the mood intended to some extent, but the rest are not up to the mark.

Above a particular level of quality, comparing film music is a ridiculous idea really, whether it's with music of some other composer or one of Ilayaraja's own. Many people like Ilayaraja's 80's and 90's music because it was simple and yet beautiful. Sure, the NEPV music is definitely much more complicated and western in nature. But it's beautiful for sure.

Also, as someone else pointed out, I have come across many of his film compositions that didn't create any spark.

Compare the songs 'Katrai Konjam' and 'Vandhathu Yaar' sung by Unnikrishnan from the movie 'Ajanta (2009).

I am an die hard fan of Ilayaraja!! But in recent times his compositions doesn't suit well with films which have urban background. He is fantastic in folk songs and rural background songs and as always he is a genius in BGMs.

I think he is in pure classical mode. Which doesn't always suit for songs of today's films which are more urban based.

He should not try to change his style of music. But what's happening was he is trying hard to change his music to suit modern tastes, which is unfortunate. He has been doing that since the arrival of A.R. Rahman's "Roja". A.R. Rahman has certainly changed the perspective of music of today's youth by fantastic compositions in Roja.

I am an die hard fan of Ilayaraja!! But in recent times his compositions doesn't suit well with films which have urban background. He is fantastic in folk songs and rural background songs and as always he is a genius in BGMs.

I think he is in pure classical mode. Which doesn't always suit for songs of today's films which are more urban based.

He should not try to change his style of music. But what's happening was he is trying hard to change his music to suit modern tastes, which is unfortunate. He has been doing that since the arrival of A.R. Rahman's "Roja". A.R. Rahman has certainly changed the perspective of music of today's youth by fantastic compositions in Roja.

With respect to you, I would like to disagree on the point that he is trying hard to change his music to suit modern trends. I would say he is the most versatile composer whose compositions range from Indian classical, folk, western classical to Jazz music. For a composer like him, he does not differentiate between between Indian and western music. He himself said that all the forms of music are seen as pure music for him and nothing else. In fact he does not force himself to change his style with time, but only tries to experirment a lot with his style of composing. He tried or experimented different styles of compositions. For example, some of his earlier compositions where inspired from Bach, few are inspired from Mozart. THere are few which are inspired from Jazz. For an ordinary person like me, we may differentiate between music from different regions, but Ilayaraja sees all forms of music to emanate from the same Octaves (SAREGAMA-PADANESA).

If you look for specific compositions based on western style like Jazz, there are songs from "Tik Tik Tik", "Agni Natchatiram" and many more which have compositions styles from Jazz. One of my most favourite Jazzy music from him is "Ilaya Nila ..." sung by SPB. In that song, Ilayaraja used the guitar and the bass guitar to perfection. I can list some more songs which have Jazz influence and I can say with 100% conviction that he is one of the best composers who have used bass guitar to the best. Another example is Cheeni Kum. Though the tunes were taken from his old classics, he has used the modern music instruments very effectively. As some one said - For most of the composers, the machine controls their compostions, where as for Ilayaraja, it is his compositions which control the machines.

In NEPV, the songs I liked the most
1. Katrodu knonjum
2. Sattru Munbu

The rest of the songs are okay, but the the above two are the best. I have listened to these two songs for more than 100 times and each time I hear them, I get a different experience. In fact I was initially impressed with "Sayndu Sayndu" and "Mudual Murai" and not so impressed with the above two songs. After listening to all the tracks for multiple times, I could slowly get the feel of how good the above two songs are. I think as time passes by, the above two songs will stand as evergreen melodies.

+1 to Shanmune.

As a die hard fan of Ilayaraja, I am 100% certainly agree with you. But the problem is exactly the same.

If you can see, we are always compelled to give examples only from his songs of 80's & 90's. But in recent times there are hardly any songs which are worthy of those 80's & 90's. If we take the 90's there are innumerable classics, but in 2000's there are only few songs which are worthy of his genius.

Even in "Cheeni Kum" & "Paa" all the songs are the old classic tamil songs, which have been revised by using today's instruments, there are hardly new compositions.

Even we can't take such many hits in recent times. You may be a genius but if you are not going to reflect that in your works then what happens?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back