Need 26" LCD

nizarp

Hi,

I want to a buy a 26" LCD TV. My max budget is 25K and the usage will be:

Tats Sky: 80%
DVD Movies: 20%

I also prefer wall mounting option if available. Please suggest...

OK I hope you are really intent on getting a 26" TV because most members on this forum will try to convince you to go in for a 32" LCD TV.
Have a look at the LG-26LU10UR. It has a built in USB port which can play DivX from a USB device. It retails at an MRP of Rs. 29,500/- but I am sure actual street prices will be lower.

Seriously Dude...26" is too small for a (modern) TV. Might as well pick up a Monitor (+ TV Tuner card ) which will cost you much lessor with a better quality. Available in ACER & BENQ

Seriously Dude...26" is too small for a (modern) TV. Might as well pick up a Monitor (+ TV Tuner card ) which will cost you much lessor with a better quality. Available in ACER & BENQ

Since the viewing distance is small 26" is enough for me.

As you suggested if I pick up a 22"/24" monitor + TV tuner, which tuner card will be better and how much the combination will cost ?

Last edited:
Since the viewing distance is small 26" is enough for me.

As you suggested if I pick up a 22"/24" monitor + TV tuner, which tuner card will be better and how much the combination will cost ?

Do not go in for monitor if your main aim is to watch TV. There will be unnecessary clutter with all the wires from the tuner to the monitor,etc.
Also the tuner will allow only RF connection and normal AV (the yellow video cable), so you will not get the best quality picture. And the remote control units on these external TV tuners are really bad. You will have to literally aim the remote at the tuner to get a response.
You could also get one of those cheap 22"/24" Monitor TVs which are basically monitors with inbuilt TV tuner. But then again they all use TN panels, and as you know TN panels are not the best. Remember too that a 24" monitor does not translate to exactly 24" diagonal measurement but is exactly 23.6". And believe me, there is a noticeable difference between a 24" monitor and a 26" TV. Most 26" TVs do not use TN panels but the better VA or IPS panels. So you are still better off with a 26" TV if you don't want to consider a 32" TV. Ultimately the choice is yours.

I have been holding my purchase to complete our shifting to the new house.

Finally I brought the Panasonic X9 this Monday for 25990/- along with a Sony DVP NS728HP for 4.9K. The X9 still has the 3 years warranty.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Go for Tata Sky HD box ( or for that matter any HD box). Use a Benq 24" LCD monitor (around 11500 Rs.). U can connect the monitor & box by HDMI. Connect audio out of the set-top box to a computer 2.1 powered speaker & you have a good Full HD system up & running. I am using the Benq & its PQ is amazing.

Sridhar

Hi Sridhar,
Thanks for the info, me too searching for a similar solution.
I was shortlisting Benq MK2432 LCD TV. Now It seems that I don't need to go for LCD TV, I can just do it will a 24" LCD right? by the way how much it will cost for an HD box? what models/ service providers have such box with HDMI output? and monthly tariff?

If you are going to use the monitor for occasional TV viewing then it's fine. But if you want to use it as a full fledged TV then better to go in for at lest a 26" TV. Reason being that these monitors all use cheap TN panels, which have horrible viewing angles, especially vertical viewing angles. It might not be a problem at first but believe me you will regret later, after the excitement of owning a new product has faded away.

OK, but all those 26" full HD will cost around 28-30K, but its only around 22-25 for 720p. I am looking for 1080p to connect my laptop also.

Hi Sridhar,
Thanks for the info, me too searching for a similar solution.
I was shortlisting Benq MK2432 LCD TV. Now It seems that I don't need to go for LCD TV, I can just do it will a 24" LCD right? by the way how much it will cost for an HD box? what models/ service providers have such box with HDMI output? and monthly tariff?

I upgraded my existing tata sky connection. Paid about Rs. 2600/- with 12 months free HD connections. Tata Sky box also has co-ax digital audio out. I will now be trying a method of tapping this. As for other HD boxes check with the dealers. Have experience of Dish TV (horrible) & Tata Sky (excellent systems). I have found that the PQ of almost all channels is substantially improved. Those being broadcast in mpeg4 have almost HD feel. HD channels are mind-blowing.

After this experiment I have come to the conclusion that if majority of your viewing is routine TV channels do not go above 32 or 37 inches screen size. But go for full HD. So next step will be for a full spec LCD/Plasma.

That is great, thanks for the info. so now how you are connecting to speakers?

I am planing to buy a new Full HD LCD by next Month, any suggestions brand/ size/spec? I am looking something around 25K.

That is great, thanks for the info. so now how you are connecting to speakers?

I am planing to buy a new Full HD LCD by next Month, any suggestions brand/ size/spec? I am looking something around 25K.

HI.

I am taking the stereo RCA outs to a standard amp.

As for full HD LCD - TV models would be LG series. But you may not get in ur budget. Alternatively look for BENQ 24" full HD monitors with HDMI in. Check model nos. available in ur city & crosscheck specs on the web. Pricing starts from 11000 to 15000. Some models have built in speakers but they are not so good.

Sridhar

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back