Need advice- boosting signal to Topping TP20

Amarendra

Hi,

I recently purchased a Pure i20 Ipod dock which extracts digital signal from an ipod/ ipad, runs it through its Cirrus Logic DAC and outputs through RCA outputs. The other options are Digital SPDIF & Coax out if one wants to use a external DAC. I currently output the signal through the stereo outputs (RCAs).
This dock is connected to either my Norge 2060 or the Topping TP 20.
However in both cases, I find that compared to a CD player, the volume level has to be stepped up considerably when i play through this dock.
Though while playing through the Norge is not a problem (theres enough fire power), the Topping becomes a bit overstressed in the sense that I have to crank the volume knob all the way to 5 o clock position.

I like the dock very much particularly when I play FLACs through my ipad- the sound is mind blowing.

My question is that is there a way to boost the signal from a stereo source which can then provide a strong enough signal to the Topping ? Is a phono preamp the answer. Can you suggest some models ?

Thanks in advance.

The Volume level is also determined by the input line level voltage. A higher Vol level does not necessarily mean that the Amp is getting overloaded

If you are happy with the decible level achieved with 5.0 Oclock position on Topping why do you want to add one more component? This may degrade the sound id not selected properly.

But why does it happen that a blu ray or CD player connected to the same amp can produce great sound at just 11 o'clock but a dock could need more power to achieve the same result.
Also one observation was that with the volume knob at 5 o' clock, the song also sounded a bit muddled.
I will also try connecting with better speaker cables- Chord Carnival Silver and let you know.
Thanks

But why does it happen that a blu ray or CD player connected to the same amp can produce great sound at just 11 o'clock but a dock could need more power to achieve the same result.
BDP and CDP produce signal output of 2Vp-p (by standard). [Sometime more than that] So, for example from volume control if you get 40% of that at 11 o'clock position, 0.8Vp-p goes for amplifier. It gives loud signal. Battery powered devices or small gadgets produce ~1Vp-p. So at same level you get 40% of that level, 0.4Vp-p. Naturally less input voltage given to Amp -> less output voltage from Amp. So you ramp up volume pot to get desired output
Also one observation was that with the volume knob at 5 o' clock, the song also sounded a bit muddled.
When you get at 5 o'clock then amplifier may clip with more input or get noise picked up from input source.
I will also try connecting with better speaker cables- Chord Carnival Silver and let you know.
Thanks
Its Garbage in -> garbage out. Unless your cable is really bad, it should not make much difference.

If you are really pressed hard to go for Preamp then send PM to sachu888 for SSP (super Simple Preamp).

Last edited:
Thanks

+1 to Omishra. Basically the Amp multiplies the input signal by a factor determined by the volume Knob position. So if your input signal is lower compared to a CD player you will have to turn up the Volume. This necessarily does not mean that the amp is getting overloaded as the output is still low due to lower input.
However if the song is sounding muddled it indicates that the sound signal is getting distorted. Either in the connecting cable or in Amp or the noise level picked up by the cable is getting amplified to a high level due to turning up the Volume.

Changing the cable may not help you if your present cables are decent quality. BTW - looping the Interconnect Cables in case of excess length will increase noise pick up - check point.

Go for a pre amp only if you feel that the sound is muddled.

Thanks ! I changed the cable from 30 ft X 2 of stackfine to 6 ft X 2 of Chord Carnival and the problem seems to have gone. I am back to listening at 11 o clock. The dock is a powered dock.
Also when I had heard it previously the stackfine cable had been patched as well increasing the length for each speaker cable from about 32 ft to 40 feet. The patch had been applied to increase the cable length temporarily using a connector.

Back