Need advice on buying a 5.1 Hometheater

tommie

Hello all,

I am a novice in this area. I am looking to buy a home theater to match with my new Samsung SMART LED 3D TV, WD TV live Hub, Sony PS3 & Blueray player, NFS storage etc. I am currently using my old Philips 5.1 DVD Hometheater system (which does not have any HDMI input). My basic budget is around INR 50K, but can streach to INR99K if I can find a future proof system (for atleast 5 years).
Here are the basic requirements that I am looking for:

Room details: 12x13 feet living room open to a dining room with full of furniture and a glass balcony on the side.
Receiver requirements:
a) Full HD and Full HD scaling
b) 3D Capability
c) at least 4 HDMI inputs (preferably 5)
d) at-least one optical (preferably 2 or even 3)
e) Complete Airplay support (or equivalent via WiFi)
f) I assume all the full HD receivers come with HDMI 1.4a specs
g) Should be good for both Music (English Rock) and Movies
h) A 5.1 would do, but do not mind a 7.1 as well (if it is worth an investment for the next 5-10 years)
i) Powered zone 2 (good to have, not a must)

Speaker specs:
a) Front side 2 speakers can be tall tower speakers. Would prefer to have a good quality to listen to music
b) Back 2 side speakers should be small and hangable on the walls
c) The front center speaker should not be too big and heavy
d) The Sub is preferred to have a good output to feel the punch and should not produce noise or jarring sound even at high volumes.

I have actually shortlisted the Denon AVR 1913 for the receiver which is available for $500 in the US but not currently available in India. India has only 2113 which costs around INR45K.

For the speakers I listened to a french brand called Focal on their 3 way tower speaker(thought it was Chorus box) and I loved it when compared to KEF (sounded like a 20 year old speaker box) or PolkAudio (too noisy).

Experts I hope you understand my requirement and suggest me a good configuration, pricing and whom to buy it from.

Thank you in anticipation.

for 50k go for separate
a denon or onkyo avr
wharfedale/paradigm/polk/sonodyne speakers.....
buy a pair of fronts AND a centre now...
get sub and rears while strong in budget.

you cant avoid heavy centre if want quality......
dont get a htib set at 50k....if you want anyway htib set...get denon 1312xp blindly at 30k..........or onkyo 3400 at 25k.........
denon 2113 is a good one...can buy that...
about focal..if you liked the sound you get them...some say they are over priced..hear more brands dali etc...

Last edited:
Dear Friend,

According to your space description (12x13 feet living room open to a dining room with full of furniture and a glass balcony on the side).

I have the suggestion, that you may also consider 5.1 Denon AVR-1713 (37K) with Paradigm CT-100 (57K) speakers. This combination is real tested and works well. Must buy good quality HDMI and speaker cables.

+1 for the paradigm ct-100.
Also consider mirage 5.1.

Alternatively pick up bookshelves (paradigm or kef) ard 30k and pair it with a center (matching centers for both r less than 20k) and buy el cheapo surrounds for now. Invest in a sub later.

I didnt mention wharf or polk cause i personally prefer kef and paradigm over em. Even PSB image B6 falls in the same range but aint sure of its centers pricing.

If music is a priority, u cant go wrong with the kef..(bookshelves or their 5.1)

Folks, are you saying that a regular home theater speakers are good for my Stereo Music use. I would prefer tower 3 way speakers for the Front L+R.

Nope, not saying that at all. You mentioned 5.1, hence the 5.1 suggestions. If you need the speakers for music primarily, then i would suggest go the stereo route. That being the case, there r plenty of threads on the forum with various stereo combinations that will suit your budget. Audition and choose.
An avr wont do the same or similar job as a stereo amp will...

If you need the speakers for music primarily, then i would suggest go the stereo route. That being the case, there r plenty of threads on the forum with various stereo combinations that will suit your budget. Audition and choose.
An avr wont do the same or similar job as a stereo amp will...

I am not looking for 2 amps, I want one 5.1 AMP for the home theater. I should be able to use it for my music needs also. For that I am looking for a Front L+R 3-way speaker. I have not heard any other option for my speakers or for my amp from the experts till now.

What about Onkyo NR 616 or Marantz NR1603. It seems Onkyo is even cheaper than Denon 1913 in the international market. Can you recommend the best dealers in Bangalore who can provide me at the cheapest price?

12x13 living room .
Don't even consider a Floorstanding speaker.

How are apart are the front speakers going be placed from each other ?

Your listening distance is how far away from the front speakers.?

Just a point to clarify as you have stated that denon DHT-1312XP does not feature 1080p-upscaling, so the media player or the dvd player should be used as upscaler?

Is it a hindrance ?

Just a point to clarify as you have stated that denon DHT-1312XP does not feature 1080p-upscaling, so the media player or the dvd player should be used as upscaler?
Is it a hindrance ?

Thanks Rupam for the pointed question. I do not have any real need for non-HDMI sources at this point of time. However, I am being advised that for the non true 1080p sources, the receiver could do better processing for better pic quality even for a video that is being streamed from the internet. I have not tried it, so would look for the experts to comment.

Also the 1312 power might not be sufficient to power-up the front hifi floor standing speakers that would need around 180W.

Here is a list of the front tower speakers(3way) that I am considering
1) Boston Acoustics A 360 - INR 36K
2) Focus Chorus 736V - INR95K
3) Monitor Audio Silver RS6
4) Dali ikon RS 6/ RS7 -INR 75K
5) Jamo D590 - INR 95K
6) Klipsch Icon KF 26/28 - price N/a
7) Polk RTi A7 - INR 50K
8) Yamaha NS 555
9) JBL ES 90BK 4 way - INR 55K

Even though I have not heard the music on all these speakers, pricing wise Boston seems to be the right fit for my budget. I am considering the others since I thought it is going to be a one-time investment for the right speakers. (I might not plan to upgrade it in the future)

Last edited:
12x13 living room .
Don't even consider a Floorstanding speaker. How are apart are the front speakers going be placed from each other ?Your listening distance is how far away from the front speakers.?

Sorry folks, the room size is 13 feet width and 17 feet long + a dining hall and kitchen attached. (I just measured it)
Distance between speakers will be around 13 feet(corners) which will have a wall unit of 10 feet in between. Listening distance is around 14-16 feet. Remember, it is not an enclosed living room, but connected to a dining room of bigger size in half-parallel shape (Not L shaped dining room).

Last edited:
Distance between speakers will be around 11 feet which will have a wall unit of 10 feet in between. Listening distance is around 13 feet. Remember, it is not an enclosed living room, but connected to a dining room of bigger size in half-parallel shape (Not L shaped dining room).

Ah i see

11 feet between speakers - Ideally the distance for stereo L+R should not be more than 10 feet apart. Most loudspeakers usually recommend a max of 10 feet apart.

Considering your room dimensions. I suspect that your speakers would be practically touching the side walls.with probably no more than a 6-8 inch gap.. So Basically corner placement

Not advisable - especially with Floorstanders. Proximaty to side walls will reflect bass and may cause boominess and undefined bass due to reflections. Unless you plan on bass traps etc

Speakers that you mentioned above like Boston A360, Jamo D590, Yamaha NS 555 are rear ported.
You would need to leave at least a 1.5 foot gap from speaker to the rear wall. 2 feet or more recommended
The same holds true even for front ported speakers.

You should look at bookshelves as an option as well. In general a 30 - 50k Bookshelf will sound much better than a similar priced FS.
Plus they are easier to place

- my 2 cents

Cheers

Last edited:
^ +1
for movie purpose buy bs similar priced.as you will manage bass with a dedicated sub.so fs is not mandatory unles you have a fancy for them.

Ah i see
You should look at bookshelves as an option as well. In general a 30 - 50k Bookshelf will sound much better than a similar priced FS.
Plus they are easier to place

Thanks Flash for your expert comments. :signthankspin:

My problem is that I cannot place the BS speaker inside the wall unit. I can plant it only on the corners on the floor. Any recommendations.

Thanks Flash for your expert comments. :signthankspin:

My problem is that I cannot place the BS speaker inside the wall unit. I can plant it only on the corners on the floor. Any recommendations.

Place them on a Speaker Stand.

Attachments

• z1540.jpg
    z1540.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 107
Another set of excellent speakers to add to your list are Paridigm Monitor 9 s7- for around 65K a pair

Another pair of excellent speakers at the Boston Acoustics A360 range

Paradigm Mini Monitor s7-- Note these are bookshelf speakers at 29K a pair

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back