Need advice on tapping full potental of Beresford DAC

heliumflight

Hi Audio Gurus,

I just received my Beresford DAC 7510 mk6/4::)

In my pursuit of music/ soul search, please help this newbie tap music potential of Bersford DAC so that I don't burn my fingers in this process.

Apart from the LG DVD as my source + Beresford, can these below be used as source??

1. Can I connect Worldspace radio?
2. Can I connect FM radio?
3. Can these inputs be used with Beresford

WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )
Creative USB Sound Blaster Digital Music SX Sound Card - Premium external sound card

4. Ipod/ itune/ appletv
5. Dish tv/ Tata Sky/ Airtel
6. WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )
7. Internet radio

In short I want to know how can I maximize my enjoyment of music by utilizing all 4 inputs of Beresford in a user friendly way without causing a bomb!

Thanks a ton!!

Congrats !! Now connect all 4 inputs and turn them on all at once to "burn-in" your DAC :lol:

More seriously, you can try playing a single source in repeat mode non-stop for the next 7 days to remove the initial harshness it is supposed to have. Try a low power consuming source like ipod.

Did you get the one with the mods?

Regards

The Beresford dac will take only digital inputs.
http://home.comcast.net/~imagecenter08/DAC.jpg
Am afraid most of your proposed sources are not going to be compatible.

You can try connecting the Creative one you listed with the SPDIF output with the help of a small adapter
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee.jefferson/TOSlink Adaptor/pict1.jpg
OR you may buy one of those external USB powered soundcards like the M-Audio Transit or Creative XFi notebook.

The other option is to swap your dac with the latest USB enabled 7520 model.
http://www.beresford.me/images/TC-7520/TC-7520.jpg
Write to Stanley, am sure he will only be happy to ship it to you.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Hi Audio Gurus,

Yes, if you have the Sanyo DSB-WS1000 model which has an optical dig. out. This model is out of production but you could try calling Worldspace and see if you could get lucky, else you'd have to look at buying it used.

No.

Instead of looking at the rest of the devices you've mentioned, I'd just put together a cheap PC in an HTPC case with a decent soundcard capable of putting out digital audio...

DAC = Digital to analogue converter

For audio, the digital input options are optical, coaxial & HDMI

I have not seen a DAC with HDMI input yet.

Hi Audio Gurus,

In my pursuit of music/ soul search, please help this newbie tap music potential of Bersford DAC so that I don't burn my fingers in this process.

Apart from the LG DVD as my source + Beresford, can these below be used as source??

3. Can these inputs be used with Beresford

WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )
Creative USB Sound Blaster Digital Music SX Sound Card - Premium external sound card

4. Ipod/ itune/ appletv
5. Dish tv/ Tata Sky/ Airtel
6. WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )
7. Internet radio

In short I want to know how can I maximize my enjoyment of music by utilizing all 4 inputs of Beresford in a user friendly way without causing a bomb!

Thanks a ton!!

Hi Audio Gurus,

Thanks a ton!!

Can you tell me the price?

Thanks for the input....Yes it has the mod21!

Gobble>> Did you get the one with the mods?

Regards[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I have contacted Worldspace for this particular model with digital out.

:yahoo:

Yes, if you have the Sanyo DSB-WS1000 model which has an optical dig. out. This model is out of production but you could try calling Worldspace and see if you could get lucky, else you'd have to look at buying it used.

Last edited:
WD TV has optical out which will pass all audio once you select Digital in the menu. So you DAC is good with WD TV.

So what you can do is, make all Audio CDs to FLAC format, play in WD TV, and pass it via the DAC :D

Oh! Excuse me as you may relate to the nature of my questions as I'm a novice.

I think, u didnt understand WD TV. WD is a Media Player. You can play Audio and Video stored on a Hard Drive via WD TV. It is not a TV or Music Chennel

Hi to All,

Something I want to share is that audiophiles are so wonderfull at heart as they are always willing to help.

I'm glad I'm a part of this forum

You guys/ Gals simply Rock!

Thanks for the info...I have contacted Worldspace for this particular model with digital out.

:yahoo:

Please let me know what they say. I would be interested in picking up one too, provided they can convince me that they would not be winding up their India operations anytime soon...

Hi unleash me,

Thanks a lot for providing me this info. I'm finished reading these articles and somewhat now know what I want...I think this is like quick sand!... There more you know, the more you sink!!.

Are there any portable players with digital out and that will support MP3 and FL and that can be connected easily with my DAC?

I found Cowan D2, IRiver>>>>> others beats me!....Inputs will be appreciated:)

http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-mp3-players/?filter=501502_8128092_

The Beresford dac will take only digital inputs.
http://home.comcast.net/~imagecenter08/DAC.jpg
Am afraid most of your proposed sources are not going to be compatible.

You can try connecting the Creative one you listed with the SPDIF output with the help of a small adapter
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee.jefferson/TOSlink Adaptor/pict1.jpg
OR you may buy one of those external USB powered soundcards like the M-Audio Transit or Creative XFi notebook.

The other option is to swap your dac with the latest USB enabled 7520 model.
http://www.beresford.me/images/TC-7520/TC-7520.jpg
Write to Stanley, am sure he will only be happy to ship it to you.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Helium,

Sorry I saw your PM quite late.

As has been mentioned by many others DACs such as the Beresford will accept ONLY digital inputs and and send our analogue outputs. The Beresford 7510 mk6/4 has four digital inputs - 2 coaxial and 2 optical. Any player or device that has digital outputs can be connected to the DAC.

Regarding portable players, since most of them are supposed to be carried around will have the DAC and amplifier built in. Usually they will have just a socket for headphones. On PCs, depending upon the card and configuration you may have a digital out in the form of a USB or coaxial out. You cannot use the USB as the 7510 does not support USB.

If you are looking for a portable player, the best option is a classic iPOD with a iTransport from Wadia. The iTransport is the only device that extracts the digital signal from the iPod and sends it out in digital form. Others even the iPOD sends out only analogue signals through all the docks.

Other than these, if before buying, you tell us what devices you are looking at, we can tell you whether they will work with your 7510 or not.

Cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back