Need advice on what to buy

musicmatters

Hi all

I am a newbie to this forum. have so far just used basic audio equipment but want to upgrade.

Here are some specs

1. room size 30 * 14 * 11 - with external balconies (need for outdoor speakers there)

2. Would listen to music only (no movies / TV linkage)

3. Listen largely to 70/80 rock, some indian classical, some jazz, some hindi films.

4. Source of music - part CD and part ipod

5.Budget - all put together around 1.5 - 2 Lacs

Have been hearing various things from various people and am completely confused now

Questions (some very basic)

1. Where in Mumbai should I go and buy from? Do these guys negotiate?

2. What all would I need to buy - receiver, CD/BD player, speakers, external speaker, cables?

3 Floor standing speakers - yes or no?

4. Have been recommened to buy NAD C 356BEE , PSB Imagine Speakers Tower - opinions

5, I can make out sound difference but cant put it very technically. Can someone advice on how to think about choices

Will go and do an audition and wanted to check

you could start off auditioning the monitor audio rx6. imo theyre the speakers to beat in the price range. it pairs very well with the nad - you'll need the c375, but not so great for hard rock since the bass isnt really tight and forward enough (im talking about the amp). but will play indian classical very well since you need a warmer sounding amp with the shrill highs. will just roll it off a bit. also extremely good for jazz. deep down lows, sweet highs, full mids and very musical. if youre not too happy with the amp then you can check out cambridge and marantz as well

Let me try to answer...
- For the hall size you have, certainly floor stands is the way to go, otherwise get pair of book shelves with large drivers (8" and above). Basically large drivers for wider dispersion of air (though not necessarily translate to good sound)
- You cannot use indoor speakers as outdoor as well, if the use is frequent. Once a while its ok. Both these speakers would have a completely different build quality, physical properties and sonic qualities.
- For the genre of music you listen to, you would need speakers which have dominance in mid and low frequencies. Indian classical by Trilok gurtu / Zakir hussain may need a speaker with lot of detail as well as dominance in low frequency, where as if you listen to Pandit Ravi Shankar it would need a completely different set of speakers. Rarely you will find a all round speaker.
- Since you are looking for a music set-up, therefore a CD player is highly recomended. Although I somehow feel CD players will be obsolete in coming years given that HD music is gaining momentum, but that again a different debate altogether.
- You would need CD Player > good interconnects > integrated stereo amplifier > good speaker cables > floorstands/book shelves (stands for book shelves) > racks for these > and to keep your one time expense intact, a good power protection systems. May be add a good DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in the chain or a preamp and amp combo.
- Even if you put your preference in technical (yet subjective terms, 'Detailed', 'Warm', 'Extended', 'Fast', 'Forward', 'Crispy', 'Defined', it can run into several lines...), not necessarily people in the forum will be able to understand your preference. Go and audition speakers / audio gear and get the one which you like, not what people have to say in this forum or for that matter in any forum.

BTW if you actually get a gear worth 2 L then very soon you will hate to listen to songs from ipod :) Best of luck for your purchase.

Start to audition and you'll be a pro in no time.

Seriously... all it took me was 3 rounds of auditions and now I know what I want.

Should take you exactly that much time to go from "what should I buy" to "this is my setup/this is what I want".

I'm sure lots of helpful FM in Mumbai... PM a couple and ask them to help you audition.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back